Comment about Tom’s new article.

an original name   Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:10 pm GMT
Tom is a neo-Esperantist.
an unoriginal name   Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:42 pm GMT
How come?
Harry   Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:02 am GMT
>>My solution (evolution towards one language for the world) means that eventually we will need neither teachers nor translators. Your solution requires legions of translators forever. Which is more efficient? <<

That's not realistic. Someday there might be one world language for certain/many fields of study but not everyone will speak it solely; it won't be the only language spoken on Earth... unless your planning a massive global invasion and determined to cradle snatch every single newborn to have them programmed.

Such a "solution" isn't practical; everyone first learns to speak with those around them: usually their parents, not strangers from school til they're old enough. So... ***drum roll*** ...most children born in Poland will first learn to speak Polish.

>> <<but literature is of little importance to our civilization.>>

That was a very stupid thing to say. There would be no civilization whatsoever without literature. <<

So what that you can't buy your beloved game in English in Poland? Doom 3 or some other mindless game Shoot-Em-Up game just isn't important to intellectuals or "knowledge workers" (ha ha) and it doesn't do much for advancing the welfare of society. It's of even less importance to our civilisation than literature -- even with your opinion I'm sure you'd agree.
You know me.   Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:58 pm GMT
I'm glad that I can read in other languages. Sometimes it seems that only a summary of medical research comes out in English first. I haven't figured out how to pitch this "skill" to physicians I know, but at least I know where some countries seem to be ahead of the US.

This stuff of English only is bunk. Yes, it may be logical to have a single, official language for the US, but in order to be competitive we need to have people who speak various languages and not just the common ones we teach in high schools and universities.

I'm not against video games. I play one myself occasionally-using my non-dominant hand of course-that's the only benefit I see. I train my brain that way.

Okay, I admit that I've used "fun" resources to learn other languages-books for kids, websites with pictures, and books that look like they were written for kids with colorful pictures, etc. I do this because some foreign language textbooks are pretty dull. When I've had enough fun, I hit the normal texts.

My point is that having fun in a language is probably important, and that fun (maybe through using a video game) is what keeps learners going-especially learners who have had a wretched learning experience in school.

I would ask Tom if he really enjoyed the games or if he felt good because he was having fun and learning at the same time. Is it time for Tom to create his own video games for English learners?
Tom   Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:40 pm GMT
"Such a "solution" isn't practical; everyone first learns to speak with those around them: usually their parents, not strangers from school til they're old enough. So... ***drum roll*** ...most children born in Poland will first learn to speak Polish. "

Congratulations! You've just proved that languages can never die. What if the child hears only English on TV? What if the parents switch between English and Polish? Obviously, you haven't given it much thought...
Tom   Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:03 pm GMT
"Ok, so Johan decides to be a programmer but Sara decides to be a writer. Where is the benefit for Sara in learning programming? For Sara there is no justification for teaching programming."

I don't understand your point. In the current system, Sara has to learn her native language AND English. In my one-language system, Sara would only learn English and she could focus her efforts on writing skills. One less thing to worry about -- everyone is better off.

"By the way, the fact that you play video games regardless of language is proof that you don't really follow your belief that practicality is the only important thing. Everyone acknowledges that video games are a waste of time, you ought to be learning science in the 'interests of humanity'."

Who acknowledges that videogames are a waste of time? They are a very practical way to unwind and ward off the blues. You think I can work and learn all day, every day?

Anticipating your next comment, yes, literature can serve the same purpose -- that's why I said it was "not very important", not completely useless.
Liz   Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:49 pm GMT
Sorry Tom, but based on your contributions on this thread, I'm beginning to assume that you are a troll.
Harry not Tom or Dick   Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:29 pm GMT
>>Congratulations! You've just proved that languages can never die. What if the child hears only English on TV? What if the parents switch between English and Polish? Obviously, you haven't given it much thought... <<

Ha ha, full marks for the sarcasm and thinking it through completely. Yes, I've heard of those abused children who grew up, trapped in a basement, perhaps with not much more than a television set. What's your point? That one day such a scenario could be the norm rather than the exception?

So what if the parents practise speaking a language second to theirs? The majority will always go back to speaking their mother language which is much easier for them and speak it most of the time with each other.
an original name   Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:35 pm GMT
<<Who acknowledges that videogames are a waste of time? They are a very practical way to unwind and ward off the blues. You think I can work and learn all day, every day? >>

You're contradicting yourself again. If you play the game in English then it is 'working and learning all day', and not 'warding off the blues'.

Anyway, your dreamland is just a pipe dream and will never happen. Your idea is about as possible as the ideas of those people who believe in a worldwide Muslim empire, or a worldwide communist paradise, or a world without war and crime, or Esperanto as the only language.

<<One less thing to worry about -- everyone is better off. >>

I didn't know it was actually something to worry about in the first place. Europeans seem to manage just fine with learning English (plus a few other languages to boot) and yet Europe is still at the forefront of science and technology. Why can't you have the best of both worlds?
Understood   Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:51 pm GMT
I don't know if it is Tom or not, but that gold star is there, so it probably isn't a troll.

"blues" Just as I thought.

Let Tom play video games. It's his website, his brand of original thinking. If everyone agreed with him, we'd be annoying parasitic admirers.
Uhrzeit   Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:29 am GMT
Some admire Tom a bit too much it seems.

http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t12481.htm
Persona non grata   Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:35 am GMT
I think they are just testing to see if there are any moderators around.
Palin   Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:07 am GMT
It's just dandy.
über Guest   Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:38 pm GMT
Tom, the one-language system you are promoting is not very realistic, however "practical" you find it. (Nor is it fair.)

Do you really think that children all over the world will grow up bilingual by consuming American pop culture and that other languages will just wither away until the whole world is speaking (American) English? Is that the Utopian society you envision?
an original name   Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:31 pm GMT
<<Is that the Utopian society you envision? >>

Oh well, I give up. In the end, all of us have our dream of a Utopian society regardless of realizability. I for example wish that humans would colonise the moon and set up permanant cities there and develop faster-than-light travel.