Should British/Australians adopt American spellings?

Name   Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:37 pm GMT
I mean, recently the Portuguese adopted Brazilian spelling convention recognizing that the latter form is more widespread, despite some protests. Would it really hurt to drop the u in words like colour, honour and a few other miscellaneous spelling differences for the sake of standardizing the spelling?
Johnny   Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:45 pm GMT
Then they should write "caula", shouldn't they? lol
Caspian   Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:47 pm GMT
Uh - yes, it would. That's not the only difference, anyway.

Why on Earth are you suggesting that the British should change theirs? And the Australians? And the Canadians?

British English was here first, so if spelling should be standardised, then we should be the model.

Perhaps you thing that Italian should adopt Sicilian spelling rules? That all Germans should write in Swiss German, and that the French should all write in Provençal?

The Americans are welcome to spell words however they wish - but they changed the spelling from the standard. Why should the standard follow suit? The idea is ridiculous.

My indignance could cause me to go on writing and writing until my fingers drop off and I die of old age, so I'll force myself to stop here.
Name   Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:18 pm GMT
I don't understand why people get so attached to minor spelling differences. I mean, the idea isn't *that* extreme. Just drop one or two letters, switch one or two letters around. Very easy.
arvore   Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:26 pm GMT
I'm Italian and I prefer English spelling. In addition I'm very sorry for the portuguese choice ....
Jago   Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:42 pm GMT
Name, I suggest that Amercan English should be standardised to Australian, South African, Kiwi and British English seeing as our version contains the majority of speakers.
Jago   Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm GMT
I mean, come on, Would it really hurt to add the u in words like color, honor and a few other miscellaneous spelling differences for the sake of standardising the spelling?
Travis   Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:51 pm GMT
If we *had* to choose a single spelling, I myself would actually favor the OED spelling (rather than the modern American or British spellings), but in reality I think it is just rather pointless and needless to actually try to change such myself.
Name   Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:05 pm GMT
<< Name, I suggest that Amercan English should be standardised to Australian, South African, Kiwi and British English seeing as our version contains the majority of speakers. >>

That would be fine with me.
Johnny   Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:33 pm GMT
letz spell every wurd lyke in chat roomz, datz way cooler n datz de spellin of de future.
HappyHippo's   Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:44 pm GMT
ask Australian Labor Party ;)
Travis   Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:46 pm GMT
Na, dhen wy sjûd rait in sumthing laik dhis, hwitj woz hwot ai had dyváizd foar spelling ingglisj in at liest ee sumhwot daielêktnuutrelfásjen byfóor ai riëlaizd dhat wy wer probbebli djust better of lieving thingz by.
Travis   Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:48 pm GMT
Actually, that should be "daielêktniutrelfásjen" above.
Jago   Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:13 am GMT
So, Name, are you saying that you'd just like a standardised English language for all English speaking countries, wheter that be standardised to American, British or Kiwi?
truth   Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:28 am GMT
Brazil outnumbers Portugal 19 to 1 (don't know what version African speakers use)

USA outnumbers UK only 5 to 1

USA outnumbers countries using UK+AUST+NZ+IRE+CAN only 2.5 to 1.

So there is a much smaller disparity in English than in Portuguese and hence no justification for switching to USA spelling.