'Eye-urn'?

Sarmackie   Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:08 pm GMT
American English is my first language. I've lived all my life in the Midwest but like those of us who grew up in the cities, I don't have (much of) a discernible accent. There is this one little idiosyncracy that I have, and I don't know when or how I developed it but I've never, ever heard anyone else with it.

I pronounce iron as 'eye-ron' (sometimes as '*EYE-run'). Everyone else says 'eye-urn'. Is this normal anywhere in any dialect or am I just weird?
User   Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:12 pm GMT
It seems like a spelling pronunciation.
Jago   Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:58 am GMT
It can be foud in some Irish and Scottish accents but, whilst it's not common, it's certainly not unique.
the other one that only seems to happen around America is the Vee-Hickle/Vee-Ickle pronounciation for the word 'Vehicle'.
I've only ever heard Americans pronounce the 'H'.
Lazar   Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:03 am GMT
<<I've only ever heard Americans pronounce the 'H'.>>

No, most Americans use the /h/-less pronunciation. The with-/h/ pronunciation is regionally marked.
Achab   Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:13 am GMT
Yeah, 'eye-ron' looks like the kind of pronunciation that many non-native speakers use, pretty definitely. I can attest that in Italy most ESLers sound it out that way everytime they say it.

They pronounce the word according to how the way its written seems to suggest. I guess that's what User meant by "spelling pronunciation."

With happy January wishes,

Achab
Meesh   Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:49 am GMT
WHOA! Vehicle pronounced without the H?

I'm from Southern California, and we definitely pronounce the H in "vehicle."
HappyHippo's   Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:26 am GMT
Iron does not rhyme with Siren. It should be like ''I earn''
ha   Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:39 am GMT
>> I'm from Southern California, and we definitely pronounce the H in "vehicle." <<

No, the vast majority of us do not. You may, though.
Achab   Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:04 am GMT
Typo alert:

In my posting above, "its written" should have been "it's written."

Apologies.

Achab
HappyHippo's   Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:58 am GMT
vehicle is in the which/witch class.
Lazar   Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:27 am GMT
<<vehicle is in the which/witch class.>>

No it's not. I wouldn't be surprised if the distribution of /ˈvi:hɪkəl/ overlapped somewhat with that of /ʍ/ (the which-witch distinction), but they're completely different cases. /ʍ/ is a phoneme which is either present or absent; /ˈvi:hɪkəl/ is an isolated pronunciation that can be used within any dialectal phonology.
Johnny   Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:48 am GMT
I found this by chance, while searching for another similar discussion I once read. This is interesting:

http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/174535/results

I used to pronounce it Eye-run until quite recently, and when I discovered it's actually Eye-earn I was shocked. Everyone here says "eye-run" because of dumbass teachers who teach you so. Pronunciation is basically not taught.
Jago   Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:55 pm GMT
To LAZAR.
I wasn't saying tht all Americans used the 'H' variant. Just that I'd only ever heard it in a few American accents.
Jeraff   Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:14 pm GMT
When I was a kid, I got confused with this word because for some reason, some scholarly kid from a very good school pronounced iron as I-run. However, after checking the dictionary, I have since been confident that the pronunciation is indeed I-yurn or I-yaern. If you check your dictionary, and if your familiar with phonetics, it is pronounced as such, i.e., \ˈī(-ə)rn\. Check it here:

http://www.englishworldtv.biz/e-library.html

I hope this helps.
Skippy   Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:57 pm GMT
Most Americans pronounce 'iron' as 'EYE-urn'