Upset at OR Upset with? Compare to OR Compare with?

Fabio   Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:25 pm GMT
I'd really like to know if there is any difference beteween the two forms in both cases. Like, should i say "be compared to another person" or "compared with another person"? "I'm upset at you" or "I'm upset with you"?. If there is a differece a need some examples and explanations. I'm sorry to bother if this is a subject already discussed here but i'm way too lazy to search through older posts so... i'd really appreciate if anyone could help me :) I'm from Brazil by the way
Robin Michael   Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:39 pm GMT
Hi

It is not really a linguistic explanation, but one of the things that I was taught was that it is important to make a distinction between the 'behaviour' and the 'child'.

So, rather say "Bad Dog!"

You say, "there is an aspect of your behaviour that is causing me discomfort, you are a very nice dog, and I would love you so much more if only you would brush your teeth".

"I'm upset at you" is wrong, if it is on its own.

There is something 'about you' that is causing me to be upset.

"I am upset at you making the same mistake again."

That sentence is OK, but it would probably be better to say, "I am unhappy with you ...."

Even though, I am upset 'with you' and not 'with the mistake'.

Does that make sense?
Fabio   Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:16 pm GMT
Robin, thank you very much for the explanation, now i understand things. it helps me to understand other things i was in doubt too.