Are you becoming more British?

Damian in posh Eddy   Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:28 pm GMT
Invicta Andy - sorry, pal, but the Kernows are now pushing down into the Kentish orchards en masse and they are now spearheading down the A20 in full force - hordes of them intent on taking Maidstone before nightfall and Canterbury by daybreak....looks as if they're going to do it and already pasties are selling like hot cakes in the Medway towns.

Uriel gave us Part 1 of my fellow countryman Seany's introduction to our varied UK regional accents for those not familar with them....now I'm giving you Part 2 taking into account the rest of the world fortunate enough to have English (or as near as dammit English) as their native tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG0Ecf-zHSI&feature=related
Damian in posher EH12   Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:31 pm GMT
Now for the rest of Europe.....the non English speaking countries and other parts of the world similarly deprived of the sublimely exhilarating joy and ecstasy of having English as their normal means of day to day communication:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPBljNZZXvY&feature=related
Damin in Edinburgh   Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:38 pm GMT
Seanie - I called you Seany.....sorry, pal!
Damian   Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:40 pm GMT
And now I cannae even get my own name right! ;-(
Invicta Andy (nr Maidston   Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:43 pm GMT
The Kernows have reached Maidstone?. Time to barricade the door of my oasthouse and down some Spitfire Ale. Perfickk.
Trimac20   Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:23 pm GMT
Here everyone appreciates 'cheers' and 'mate', old, young, alike. Thank God we don't have the snobbishness you have there in England!
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:12 pm GMT
Snobbishness in England? What century are you stuck in, pray tell. In case you haven't noticed we are now not only in a new century but in a new millennium as well! Get real, pal! I must defend my English cousins here!
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:00 pm GMT
Well our lovely, lovely cute Polish* weather forecaster on BBC TV Tomasz Shafernaker has well and truly become more British** but he does involuntarily lapse into Polish*** now and again while telling us all what kind of weather we can expect. Here he is last June (hence the 24C he was forecasting for us) in his impeccable RP with a wee bit of garbled Polish mixed in with it from time to time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwBZ11ULnXM&NR=1

*Born in Gdansk, Poland of Polish parents
**Educated mostly in England
***Well - maybe it is Polish for all we know......nah, most of us in the UK now recognise the Polish Language to some degree, don't we? ;-)

I think Tomasz Shafernaker is wunnerfae!!!
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:11 pm GMT
Tomasz does have a wee wobblie now and again and who can blame him in this case...left hanging in/on/off? air without a safety net...most unlike Auntie Beeb. I liked the way the lady newscaster said that he will no doubt get his cut from Auntie's Bloomers...I love those. "The course of true journalism/broadcasting never did run smooth" to quote old Will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HtEmhMfz7M&NR=1
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:50 pm GMT
Today - the First of March - is St David's Day - St David being the patron saint of Wales, and the Welsh recognise their day in quite a big way. They call it "Dydd Gwyl Dewi Sant" and they celebrate it in their own inimitable style.

Here is Katherine Jenkins, a fluent Welsh speaker, singing the well known Welsh song "Calon Lan" ('Kall-on Laahn' - phonetically) - meaning "pure heart". She is singing it at the Inernational Musical Eisteddfod (a Welsh cultural festival of music and poetry) which is held everrty July at the small town in the depths of the countryside in North Wales - Llangollen.

Katherine Jenkins at Llangollen 2006 CALON LAN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p1x0J-50hI&feature=related

Now right down in the south east corner of Wales - to the town of Cwmbran ('Coom-braahn" - phonetically, the "oo" in "coom" rhyming with the English word "pull").....in the county of Gwent, formerly called Monmouthshire, a county now firmly part of Wales, although it was once actally part of England - physically if not quite spiritually or culturally.

Cwmbran is little more than 8 to 10 miles from the English border and in Gwent fewer than 5% of the population speaks Welsh, even though the study of Welsh in all schools is compulsory up to a certain age, as it is in the rest of Wales, but after that the Welsh Language has very little impact in that part of Wales, which is understandable with the dominating influence of "big bad" England (only joking!) so close by.

At the other and opposite end of Wales - the county of Gwynedd, in north west Wales, the number of regular Welsh speakers is about 70%, in spite of the immigratiopn into the area of people from England, and people from outside the UK.

I think the Welsh have to be admired for their determination to keep their ancient Language, and their culture, alive and kicking, and the fact that these kids, in the YT clip beow, are singing in Welsh, belong to a school which uses the medium of Welsh in most of his curriculum and not only in the subject of the Welsh Language itself, and are located in an area only a stone's throw, figuratively speaking, from the border with the mammoth that is England, is a clear indication of the tenacious and proud character of the Welsh people.

They also have a sense of humour and treat with complete disregard all the snide comments and insults of the odious Anne Robinson (Weakest Link) and other Sassenachs (English people) who seem to enjoy vilifying Wales and its people and Language...all resulting from the resentment they feel over the refusal of the Welsh to allow themslves to be subsumed into the great English Machine so close to them on their eastern borders.

Cwmbran Primary School, Gwent (very close to the English border)

Signing in Welsh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfRSFHVrxPc

Welsh Rugby supporters singing the Welsh National Anthem at the Millennium Stadium, in Cardiff, Wales.

The really is nothing quite as stirring as hearing Welsh people singing whether it is in a pub late on a Saturday night or over 72,000 of them at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. The Welsh are a very passionate people and very proud of their heritage and the fact that their Language is the original Language of the island the Romans called Britannia....so it was the Romans who gave us the name now shortened to Brits....now friendly we hope, although it was the Irish Republican Army (the IRA) who first began to call us that in a derogatory way....as we Scots say: "Those days are past now, and in the past they must remain!"

The Welsh Rugby supporters singing "Hen Wlad fy'n Nhadau" (Land of my Fathers) at the Millennium Stadium, in Cardiff, capital city of Wales:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqtIlaHIqrs

Hwyl fawr i chwi oll yng Nghymru ar Dydd Gwyl Dewi Sant - Mawrth y cyntaf!

To everyone down in Wales: Happy St David's Day!
Eric   Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:33 pm GMT
I'm sorry to tell you that the phenomenon you asked is up on the culture, also the american live faster than british.
Uriel   Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:57 pm GMT
We live faster?
one foot in the grave   Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:41 pm GMT
<<We live faster? >>

Shorter life expectancy?
Adam   Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:04 pm GMT
Many older people in Britain dislike the universal use of the word "cheers" here in the UK. I don't think it was used in the past quite so much as it is today...

It was probably use MORE in the past than today, and I do't think old people dislike as they would hve used it when theyw ere young.

Here are its origins:

This is a fine tribute to the wonderful absurdity of the English language: when you say, “Cheers,” you’re literally saying, “Faces.”

“Face” or “countenance” was the meaning of the original late-Latin word cara, a word whose mysterious history may include Greek, African and Spanish influence.

Old French picked up cara in the forms chiere and chere, which then entered English around 1200 as “cheer.” The meaning remained the same: “face,” or the expression on the face.

The word then became a model for how definitions tend to become more abstract over time. By 1300, “cheer” meant “mood” (presumably, as expressed on the face). “What cheer with you?” was a common greeting; it also became possible to “cheer someone up.”

“Cheer” also became equated with joyfulness; if you were “cheerful,” you were filled with good cheer.

Later in the 1300s, “cheer” could also mean a friendly party, or the food and drink at such a party. From this came the wise maxim, “The fewer the better cheer”—the fewer people at a party, the more food and drink for each.

By the 1500s, the definition was so general that “cheer” could refer to anything that gave comfort or joy.

From this, in the 1700s, came the meaning of a cry of encouragement or approval—for example, the “cheers” of a crowd.

In trying to figure out how “cheers!” became a drinking salutation, it’s tempting to go back to that 1300s meaning of booze at a party—especially since it seemed to linger as late as the 1880s in the bar term “cheerer” (a glass of booze, so named for its effect on the drinker).

But actually, the key meaning seems to be the latest—a shout of encouragement.

Around 1900, a subtle shift occurred in which the word “cheer” itself became a cheer, most notably in the plural formula, “Three cheers!”

By 1910-15, “cheers” was turning up in British English as both an informal goodbye and as a drinking salutation—in both cases clearly referring to the “shout of encouragement” idea.

However, “cheers” first had to battle the British mania for putting “o” on the end of any available word. It was quickly altered into the lighter form, “cheero,” which was altered further by British officers in World War I to become “cheerio.”

It wasn’t until after World War II that the “o” began disappearing and “cheers” became the standard drinking salutation in both England and the US.

It’s still possible to hear both “cheero” and “cheerio” in England, but their use is fading rapidly. By 1960, “cheers” had also replaced “cheerio” as an informal goodbye, and by 1970 had also come to mean “thanks” for a small favor or exchange.

Meanwhile, America cemented its approval of the more terse and macho “cheers” by making it the title of an extremely popular bar-themed sitcom.

http://archives.stupidquestion.net
Adam   Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:11 pm GMT
Life expectancy at birth:

US:
male: 75.29 years
female: 81.13 years
(2008)

Britain:
male: 76.37 years
female: 81.46 years
(2008)

Source: CIA World Factbook