What fourth language should I learn?

Julien   Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:51 pm GMT
@Silas

German

8-France (Alsace) ????

NO!!! NEVER!!! Are you crazy ? The only official language in Alsace is French (et peut-être l'alsacien).
Julien   Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:53 pm GMT
What fourth language should I learn?

I will say Chinese.
Silas   Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:59 am GMT
@ Julien

"NO!!! NEVER!!! Are you crazy ? The only official language in Alsace is French (et peut-être l'alsacien)."

Salut Julien
C'est seulment parce que l'Alsace appartenait à l'Allemagne auparavant (ou plus précisement, elle s'échangeait entre la France et l'Allemagne.)

Vous avez raison quand même, j'avais l'impression que les Allemandes peuvent comprendre l'Alsacien mais ce n'est pas le cas.

Pardonnez-moi les fautes gramatiques, c'est difficile d'être fluent à trois langues :-)
shiv   Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:06 am GMT
<< What an idiotic comment, It's not that simple jackass. >>

Silas, are you the new francophile jerk of the forum? Skippy was just giving his personal opinion. That's what "I'd" means, as in I would do this... Jeez, settle down.
kroll   Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:15 am GMT
<<It depends on where you'd like to be. If Europe, I'd say German; North America, Spanish, etc.">>

I agree.
Guest   Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:58 pm GMT
Be careful kroll. Silas might attack you for expressing you opinion and not mentioning french. :0
Skippy   Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:43 pm GMT
Silas, you're being needlessly abrasive. That would make YOU the jackass. No offense.

Nothing against French, but this individual already speaks English and that will work in Western Europe, whereas German is more widely spoken than French in Eastern Europe.
John Doe   Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:49 am GMT
The world language "SPANISH".
Caspian   Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:09 am GMT
Pero el idioma del mundo no es Español, es Inglés. Todo el mundo sabe eso!
Language Lover   Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:31 am GMT
I don't know what language you should learn, Oksana. I would choose one that you like, if possible. What's your focus? Asia, Africa, Europe, the Americas? Some other place?

I would suggest a language that is widely spoken and yet needed in your country or in the country where you would like to live. What kind of Russian-other language or Ukrainian-other language interpreters or translators are in demand?

I am seeing a need for medical interpreters and legal interpreters in the United States. I suspect that there are a few companies that need people who know engineering as well as tabletalk versions of languages.

Perhaps if you specialize, you won't need a fourth language. I think many people have already given you some good feedback. Hope this helps.