made up languages

candylady   Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:58 pm GMT
I agree with Jesus that English is made up!
it's not one language, but many languages smashed together (Latin, French, German, Greek, Anglo-Saxon, Indian, Welsh, Arabic etc)
Linguist   Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:45 pm GMT
Volapuk - it s the first made up language on Earth.

JakubikF - I agree, Slovio is simply Russian written by latin script without using any cases, i understand it 90-95%. it's not a slavic language, coz none of slavic people will ever speak without cases...It looks so primitive, so disguasting...
candyman   Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:01 am GMT
to candyapple
You are spechless???
But English isn't a real language
It's made up
candyapple   Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:25 am GMT
Like I said I'm speechless
Candyprincess   Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:32 am GMT
why are you speechless?
Candyprince   Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:36 am GMT
yeah..... why?
Guest   Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:19 am GMT
I loved the Elvish Language spoken on LOTR. When I heard that Tokien even designed thr written form of Elvish I was quite amazed. I have alos heard that there is a language school in New Zealand teaching hardcore fans Elivish.

Whose knows Elivish could be the next internation language.
Ed   Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:54 am GMT
<<it's not a slavic language, coz none of slavic people will ever speak without cases...It looks so primitive, so disguasting... >>

Bulgarian has no cases.
Linguist   Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:12 am GMT
yes, i forgot about that, but Bulgarian verb system is very complex unlike other slavic languages, so Slovio is primitive and disguating anyway
JakubikF   Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:14 pm GMT
I agree with Linguist. Slovio is very primitive and disguasting. It loses the beautiful of slavic languages (from Slovenian till Russian). Thay are complicated, but rich in a lot of structures, expressions, idioms, and the ways of thinking. The concept of time in Slovio is just... superficial. The example:

Slovio: (e.g) Polish:
ja es idit I go ja ide
ja bil idit I went ja szedlem
ja bu idit I will go ja bede szedl
ja bi idit I would have gone ja szedlbym / bym szedl (very informal)

ti es idit you go ty idziesz
ti bil idit you went ty szedles
ti bu idit you will go ty bedziesz szedl
ti bi idit you would have gone ty szedlbys / bys szedl (very informal)

I've written these examples to show you how simple Slovio is. Look at differences and changes in each form of verb in Polish - there are no such changes in Slovio.
Guest   Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:16 pm GMT
+Slovio is just... superficial.+

That's the point of slovio....
JakubikF   Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:50 pm GMT
Actually yes, but it takes away possibilities to express all of thought.
Bardioc   Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:15 pm GMT
Linguist, Volapük was certainly not the first made up language an earth, see
www.langmaker.com or www.langmaker.com/db/mdl_volapuk.htm
Linguist   Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:48 pm GMT
ok, I didnt know about Solresol (in my resources it was always Volapuk called to be first conlang), any imformation about it?
Bardioc   Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:41 pm GMT
Linguist, browse the www.langmaker.com website, and you'll see that there were many more attempts to constructed languages in the past as you probably can imagine. In langmaker.com, there a feature to sort the conlang list by date, just click on the ''year begun'' item: www.langmaker.com/db/mdl_index_yearbegan.htm#1150

One of the earliest constructed languages in europe could have been a secret language invented by Hildegard von Bingen: www.langmaker.com/db/mdl_linguaignota.htm.

For Solresol, see here: www.langmaker.com/db/mdl_solresol.htm