Does English sound like other Germanic languages?

naruto   Sat May 09, 2009 3:04 am GMT
English does have tz and sch: it's ... shot, for example.
blurb   Sat May 09, 2009 3:14 am GMT
"English does have tz and sch: it's ... shot, for example."

Yeah, it does sometimes, but how they were using it seems like it would just be an "sh."
CID   Sat May 09, 2009 3:54 am GMT
ts/tz occurs a lot in English, whenever a verb ending in -t is inflected for third person singular (she hits, sits, commits, transmits) and for plurals (bits, nuts, farts, hearts, etc)

Sh occurs in "sh" but also in words like "issue", "formation", "sure", "sugar", etc.

native speakers may not realize it, but it sounds a lot like this. only because the spelling, and the combination of stem- + ending usually skips the mind.
blurb   Sat May 09, 2009 2:16 pm GMT
Well, yeah, I know it has those sounds; I'm just saying they're not spelled like that. They can be, but not how they are in that post. T and Z can be together if they're in different syllables. It's also like this for "sch." S and CH can only be together if they're in different syllables. - But that's okay. It doesn't matter at all. All that's important is how it sounds. It doesn't matter how it's spelled.
blurb   Wed May 20, 2009 6:54 pm GMT
spectral cows
blurb   Wed May 20, 2009 9:39 pm GMT
spectral cows
blurb   Fri May 22, 2009 10:58 pm GMT
Even if the English language doesn't sound Germanic, there can be no doubt that the English accents do. I've been downstairs and the T.V. has been on upstairs. I heard somebody talking. The thought absolutely never occurred to me that he wasn't from northern or western England. I went upstairs and watched, and he turned out to be Dutch. I had been listening to his voice for like 4 minutes.
blurb   Fri May 22, 2009 11:02 pm GMT
Once I was listening to people speak Frisian. I couldn't really hear their accent, but I kind of could, and if I was hearing it right, it sounds identical to northeastern English.
blurb   Fri May 22, 2009 11:05 pm GMT
By the way, I'm not taking credit for what other people have been saying. I agree with you.
Guest   Fri May 22, 2009 11:27 pm GMT
<<Even if the English language doesn't sound Germanic>>

What do you mean? English *does* sound Germanic. That's what most responded with :?

<<Once I was listening to people speak Frisian.>>

Yes. If the volume is low enough, I cannot distinguish between the two. Frisian sounds just like English. Only thing is the words don't match so it's incomprehensible--it sounds English, but like English jibberish hehe
blurb   Fri May 22, 2009 11:35 pm GMT
"<<Even if the English language doesn't sound Germanic>>

What do you mean? English *does* sound Germanic. That's what most responded with :?"

Oh, I'm not saying that as a statement. - I'm just saying, "if it turns out it doesn't sound Germanic."

"<<Once I was listening to people speak Frisian.>>

Yes. If the volume is low enough, I cannot distinguish between the two. Frisian sounds just like English. Only thing is the words don't match so it's incomprehensible--it sounds English, but like English jibberish hehe"

Huh, that's interesting.
Guest   Sat May 23, 2009 12:48 am GMT
<<Oh, I'm not saying that as a statement. - I'm just saying, "if it turns out it doesn't sound Germanic."
>>

Ahhh, gotcha. : )
blurb   Sat May 23, 2009 12:58 am GMT
Yeah. ha ha

So English really sounds like Frisian to you, huh? I can believe that.
Frumious Bandersnatch   Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:18 am GMT
I enjoyed the fake English at the end of page six. On a similar note I'm compelled to mention Simlish (a search on youtube will deliver copious results). It's an elaborate nonsense language used in a series of video games, mostly improvised but containing many common 'words'. It might proove interesting to some of you. Numerous artists have re-recorded songs in Simlish and much has been written about the subject.
Ownaginatious   Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:51 am GMT
I don't know, personally to me, American English sounds similar to Dutch (aside from the Dutch "g" or course). What makes it sound specifically like American English to me, and not just all English in general, is the pronunciation or the letter "r" at the end of words.

In pretty much all European languages I've heard, 'r's at the end of words sounds like they're dropped. The only ones who seem to pronounce it are those that speak American English, and the Dutch.

I don't know, just my opinion :p

As to this "Dutch sounds like German" thing, I don't really think so. Dutch and the Northern scandanavian languages sounds similar to me, but German sounds quite a bit different. I'm taking German in school, so maybe that's why I notice the difference :p

On a sort of unrelated note, has anyone noticed that pretty much everyone that speaks a southern European language tends to say "no" after everything when seeking confirmation, while people from northern Europe tend to say "ya" (excluding English speakers who say "right") while speaking English?

i.e. "This one is good, no/ya/right?"

Maybe I'm just imagining things... :p