Does English sound like other Germanic languages?

harrrry   Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:59 am GMT
The Celtic languages do also have the th sound.
Aaron   Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:46 am GMT
It's DD in Welsh. Not sure about Gaelic.
Damian in Alba   Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:24 am GMT
The double D (dd) sound in Welsh is exactly the same as the "th" in the English words "the" and "there" and so on.

Monoglot English speakers should have absolutely NO problems whatsover asking for directions to Llanerchymedd or Ddeiniolen or Cefn-y-Bedd the next time they are in Wales. Get the double d's right and English speakers will be as right as rain in Wales, and rain is something they are very familar with in the Principality.

But they must make sure they get the "ll's" and "ch's" right as well otherwise you're on to a loser fom the start...the Taffs will probably direct you to Penrhyndeudraeth or Llangollen or Lalnuwchllyn instead, or even to the renowned wee village of:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllantisiliogogogoch....which is in Anglesey...sorry, I mean Sir Fon, just to be indicate my feelings of Celtic brotherhood.

Short place names consisting of pronounceable letters are considered very boring in Wales, such as Rhyl or Mold or Ely or Flint......besides, they are much to easy for English people to pronounce, and the Welsh love to see the English get into a pickle. So do we Scots for that matter..... ;-) really..... ;-)
Qwaggmireland   Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:11 pm GMT
What is the Anglised name for
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllantisiliogogogoch? or is it a Welsh place that dosen't have one?...Any idea how an Anglised yielding would be spelt?
Qwaggmireland   Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:14 pm GMT
Landpoolwin-hillockerwin-trobwalland-ockockock

any good ?
paduwan learner   Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:31 pm GMT
<<Landpoolwin-hillockerwin-trobwalland-ockockock

any good ? >>

You, are the Master
Steak 'n' Chips   Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:46 pm GMT
Quaggmireland:

According to Wiki, the town name means:
"St Mary's Church (Llanfair) of a hollow (pwll) of white hazel (gwyngyll) near (goger) the swirling whirlpool (y chwyrndrobwll) of the church of St Tysilio (llantysilio) with a red cave ([a]g ogo goch)."

Perhaps we could Anglicize it as "QuaintlittleattentionseekingnamecuzTBHtherebenowtelsetodothereabouts".
Qwaggmireland   Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:06 pm GMT
Ha ha I like
Sinead   Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:20 pm GMT
Yes English does sound like other a germanic language.
Although German would not be its closest germanic language but rather Frisian and Dutch.
English was brough to the British Isles about 1500 years ago by tribes called Saxons, Angles and Jutes and the language was called Englisc or Anglo-Saxon. When England was conquered by William the conqueror he brough a French dialect from Normany which made English less harsh then the other Germanic languages.
Leasnam   Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:03 pm GMT
<<When England was conquered by William the conqueror he brough a French dialect from Normany which made English less harsh then the other Germanic languages. >>

The Norman French that William brought in no way altered or affected the pronunciation of the English language.

Words taken into English from Norman were simply spoken out according to Anglo-Saxon rules of pronunciation, and extended to fit those words, not vice versa.

Had there been no Norman sigor, that is, victory, at the Battle of Hastings, English would still sound the same today, even though the Norman words would be eerily missing.
Vinalnder   Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:57 am GMT
People gotta relizaed the language spoken by saxons was much differnet from german and english// It was in the middle between german and english// German harshness // and english softness are two extremes of the orginal language// German is the outlier in the germanic family just as much as english// old germanic had a th sound that was the core of the language we still have it// german don't/ // Don't get me wrong German kept much of the grammar and vocab however it's crisp guttarness is modern for the most part/old germanic had more of an icelandic feel to it// more of a unser runic ef thuthan feel were german with say somting like und runden ek dutan and english would be sur run of than// keep in mind that was just gibberish but if you can kind of fill in the gaps you'd get what i'm thinking about

unser runic ef thuthan

und rundish ik duden

sur run of than
eirik   Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:39 am GMT
>>People gotta relizaed the language spoken by saxons was much differnet from german and english<<

wrong. the language spoken by saxons reminds more of modern german,
and if you compare german with its ancestral language and modern english with old english, then you will realize that the shiftings in english are far more notable and outstanding in every respect, including pronounciation. it's not only the grammar and vocab in german, it's the whole character which makes it appear truly germanic. just consider english's unphonetic aspect. it's actually funny you came up with the th sound english just has kept because of the influence of the celtic speaking peoples. no it's not a marker of germanicness.
blurb   Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:30 pm GMT
"wrong. the language spoken by saxons reminds more of modern german,
and if you compare german with its ancestral language and modern english with old english, then you will realize that the shiftings in english are far more notable and outstanding in every respect, including pronounciation. it's not only the grammar and vocab in german, it's the whole character which makes it appear truly germanic. just consider english's unphonetic aspect. it's actually funny you came up with the th sound english just has kept because of the influence of the celtic speaking peoples. no it's not a marker of germanicness."

Frong. Blanguage (sproken mord) bodern German, (gif youn) comfare German (nith) blanguage bodern English (nith nold) English, (youn wilm drealize (thack shriftings English arn nar mord) motable (eddery) restect, incluming.

Do you still think this sounds so un-German? Look at the words in parentheses and tell me they don't sound Germanic. I'm not just making this up. Take a look now at what I wrote, then read on.

This is the very thing you wrote. All these words are just one letter off from the original words, yet they're completely unintelligible.
blurb   Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:18 pm GMT
Here's more evidence that my method can show how a language really sounds.

I've done this with another language that people on this forum may not speak because this is for people from all over. This may also be interesting to Italian speakers because they can see how their language sounds without comprehension. If Italian speakers would like to glimpse how Italian sounds if you don't understand it, it may be better to look at what I've written at the bottom of this post first, and then the actual sentences.

Go to http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stato. Look at the first three separated sections of writing, and compare it to what I've written. You'll be able to see that everything I've written has one letter added to or changed from the original word, and that it still sounds just like Italian, but this will only work if you don't speak Italian.

Strato ordinabento biuridico pomitico, boverro bini benerali, escertitante botere sobrano deterbinato ferritorio ammartenenti. Cobanda nediante borza arnata quare detieme monobolio lebale.

Nalla farola Strato abberiscono distrinti.

Strato-cobunita: pomolo, stranziato ferritorio debinito, orbannizato attormo botere bentralo, (comunebente chianato "Strato-mazione.)"
blurb   Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:21 am GMT
Frong. Blanguage (sproken mord) bodern German, (gif youn) comfare German (nith) blanguage bodern English (nith nold) English, (youn wilm drealize (thack shriftings English arn nar mord) motable (eddery) restect, incluming.

Do you still think this sounds so un-German? Look at the words in parentheses and tell me they don't sound Germanic. I'm not just making this up. Take a look now at what I wrote, then read on.

This is the very thing you wrote. All these words are just one letter off from the original words, yet they're completely unintelligible.

All right. I admit the words in the parentheses have more of a general Germanic sound that also sounds like the Scandinavian languages, but these don't.

drise
drime
smeet
strill
smise
swide
hife
shrut
shrield
swarn
fouse
dreathe
snight
strone
cloum

Tell me those don't sound like German in all its glory!