Antimoon Translation wiki

Tom   Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:35 pm GMT
Dear Antimooners,

I have set up a wiki where anyone can post their translations of Antimoon articles. The goal is to bring effective learning methods to beginners all around the world.

There are many people around the world who could benefit from the advice presented on this site; the problem is that a lot of them have poor English reading skills and are unable to understand the articles on Antimoon.

So, if your native language is other than English and you can understand English well, you can contribute to the project by translating something -- either a whole article or part of an article -- into your native language.

So far, there are 10 articles in Korean (thanks to Eun-Deok Jin who has been working extremely hard and extremely fast for the past week) and a measly 2 articles in Polish (another one will be coming today or tomorrow).

The wiki can be found at:
http://www.antimoon.com/wiki/Main_Page
Language Lover   Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:23 pm GMT
I wonder how the translations will be checked. I have seen some pretty clumsy translations even from people who are quite fluent.
anger   Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:19 am GMT
<<I have seen some pretty clumsy translations even from people who are quite fluent. >>

Yes, even by professional translators.
Tom   Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:01 pm GMT
That's true, but Wikipedia is not supervised (or rather, it's self-supervised) and the overall quality is pretty damn high.
Caspian   Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:26 pm GMT
Personally I think it's an excellent idea - did you program it yourself, by the way?
Tom   Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:14 pm GMT
Besides, even a clumsy human translation is better than Google Translation :)

Caspian: I'm using MediaWiki, the same software Wikipedia runs on. I just modified the layout and added some extensions.
Caspian   Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:34 pm GMT
Well, it's certainly an impressive result! Is it open source?
Tom   Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:38 pm GMT
MediaWiki is open source. Anyone is free to take a look at the source code and get a headache.
Caspian   Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:46 pm GMT
Well, it seems to be doing the trick - already many articles in several languages.
Eddie   Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:26 am GMT
(The Contributor)

While Tom's "Dear Antimooners" is perfectly correct, I would be more comfortable with using "Dear Antimoon Members". Using the words "Dear Antimooners" may give rise to ideas of religious cults.
LL   Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:15 am GMT
Eddie,
While "Antimooners" does sound a little cultish, we aren't really members. We are all visitors.
Language Lover   Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:58 am GMT
Reverso is a better translator if you are going for a rough translation which you will clean up later. Not all languages are available yet. I have seen fewer errors in the languages I've checked.

Some languages just don't work in translators-at least the free ones.
Caspian   Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:02 pm GMT
Let's face it - machine translators don't really work to a high enough standard to publish the results - ever. They can give you a rough idea of what's being said, but that's really all.

I think Antimooners is fine! It means 'somebody who Antimoons', which is a good enough description for all of us.
I must go now, I have to do an Antimoon ritual in the moonlight...
&#263;u&#263;a   Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:38 pm GMT
If I'm an "antimooner", I want to know what "Antimoon" means?
Once and forever, OK?
Caspian   Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:56 pm GMT
It's Dutch (and Afrikaans) for Sb (Antimony). But the website symbol suggests it means 'against the moon'!