"that's gay"

Guest   Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:27 pm GMT
I hate this expression. What's wrong with, well, "that's stupid"?
Guest   Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:29 pm GMT
In USA being gay, catholic, a woman or black is not good.
guest   Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:58 pm GMT
Well, just look at how gay people tend to behave and carry themselves. I'm not talking about the "gay" people on Will and Grace (who are actually straight playing gay--wonder why that is...)

Very few of them show good judgement and reason. Rather, most I have met, and I'm not being stereotypical, I am speaking from personal experience--*most* (not all) have been total crack-pots and drama queens.

Those who aren't are the extreme exception to the rule. Perez Hilton is one I can think of. I think he's cool (truthfully, I don't think he's really gay, but just playing gay)
WRP   Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:59 pm GMT
I agree that "that's gay" is a bad expression. Catholicism seems like a strange inclusion in that list though. It is, after all, the largest denomination in the US.
wrench   Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:31 pm GMT
It is an expression left over from before the PC purging of English took place.

It is a good expression in my opinion, when used to describe the kind of thing that a screaming girl-like cross-dressing guy with make-up would like. It's not an insult. It's just like saying "nah, that's too macho/girly/sporty/sentimental for me". That doesn't mean you hate machos, girls, sportsmen and sentimental people.

Yes I know there are some gays who do not fit the stereotype, but they can hardly blame us, since they don't present themselves as gays so all we have to go by are the flamboyant ones. Keep in mind that it's a lot harder to be fair with gays than with, say, a nationality, because the normal people of a nationality can't be nearly as discreet about it as gays, and thus we know they exist and that they aren't all nuts.
Pull my finger   Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:31 pm GMT
This thread is gay and you're all gay.

(no homo, no catholic)
Guest   Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:39 pm GMT
Catholicism seems like a strange inclusion in that list though. It is, after all, the largest denomination in the US

The problem is that there is too much hypocrisy. Homosexuality is the largest sexual denomination in US, specially among those who say "that's gay".
torus   Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:57 pm GMT
<<The problem is that there is too much hypocrisy. Homosexuality is the largest sexual denomination in US, specially among those who say "that's gay". >>

I doubt that's true. Would you say that more than half of the people you know are "gay"?
Guest   Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:09 pm GMT
Do you mean overt gays or closeted gays? The laters are difficult to account. If you hear someone who says a lot "that's gay" it may be a hint...
Steve   Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:10 pm GMT
Everyone is bisexual.
Steve   Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:14 pm GMT
People don't like to admit that they have some attraction to the same sex, but they nearly universally do.
Dan   Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:35 pm GMT
"In USA being gay, catholic, a woman or black is not good."

I don't think there's that much of stigma towards homosexuality as it was in the past. People are a lot more tolerant today, especially the younger generation. As mentioned, calling someone/thing gay isn't even considered an insult anymore. Perhaps in 10-20 years no one will bat an eyelid if someone chooses to identify themselves as gay.
Guest   Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:49 pm GMT
<<People don't like to admit that they have some attraction to the same sex, but they nearly universally do. >>

"Attraction" does not only mean "sexual attraction"

But it seems with homosexuals and other fowks with sexual deviant issues, that their attraction always bleeds into their sexual desires

they would fuck a rock if they were attracted to it
Guest   Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:08 am GMT
On the contrary, people condemned for sexual agressions are usually "heterosexual" men.
12345   Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:38 am GMT
«guest Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:58 pm GMT
Well, just look at how gay people tend to behave and carry themselves. I'm not talking about the "gay" people on Will and Grace (who are actually straight playing gay--wonder why that is...)»
Why do you care? Let them be who they are. Man, if you liked teaspoons , that would also be a weird subject..

«Very few of them show good judgement and reason. Rather, most I have met, and I'm not being stereotypical, I am speaking from personal experience--*most* (not all) have been total crack-pots and drama queens.»
So, and why do you care? If they like to be Drama Queens, let them be Drama Queens. If you like to be like King Kong, well I don't mind you want to be as hairy as him.

Calling someone a gay is an insult in my country. The people who are gay can't do anything about it. Their hormons are a bit different compared to the average man. And well, I don't think anyone is able to take a full control of their hormons.

I'm straight and I know some homosexuals, and yeah some are a bit 'overdone', but well just don't give them the attention they want to have. And by calling someone or something gay you're just not capable to use a more accepted word.