Pronunciation different between "Look" and "L

Nick   Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:31 pm GMT
so "look"----/luk/ and "luke"----/lu:k/, can anyone explain the difference in this way: 1. the position of tongue 2. the shape of lip 3. facial muscle 4. the openness of the mouth. thank you very much.
I usually pronounce /u/ like this: my mouth and tongue and lip are at the same position as I say /k/; and for /u:/, I round my lip and protrude my lip and my tongue go backward.
Leasnam   Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:45 pm GMT
I pronounce 'look' with a short vowel /lUk/, but 'Luke' with a long vowel and w-glide /luwk/
Leasnam   Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:44 pm GMT
for 'Luke' my lips are more rounded than for 'look', and the tongue is draw further back in the mouth
Another Guest   Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:43 am GMT
I'm not sure why you're giving those as the vowels. At least in my dialect, the vowel are [œ] and [u], respectively.
br   Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:21 pm GMT
@Another dialect, I'm not sure if my browser supports IPA correctly. Did you reaqlly say that you used the o and e digraph and [u] for the two vowels, or did you actually write [U] (X-SAMPA)? If you wrote [oe] (a front rounded vowel), then which dialect do you speak?
Leasnam   Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:25 pm GMT
<<@Another dialect, I'm not sure if my browser supports IPA correctly. Did you reaqlly say that you used the o and e digraph and [u] for the two vowels, or did you actually write [U] (X-SAMPA)? If you wrote [oe] (a front rounded vowel), then which dialect do you speak? >>

Perhaps a Scottish dialect?
Another Guest   Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:31 am GMT
The front open-mid front rounded vowel on this page:
http://web.uvic.ca/ling/resources/ipa/charts/IPAlab/IPAlab.htm
is the closest I could find to the vowel in "look" (apparently, it's represented as 9 in X-SAMPA). The near-close near-back rounded vowel is closer to "Luke" than it is to "look".

I'm American.