Any fans of 'allo allo' in Antimoon land?

Crabtree   Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:55 pm GMT
'I was pissing by the door' is also correct.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:59 pm GMT
Laura - I really understand where you are coming from on the points you raised and I confirm what Robin said about this program not being appropriate for English learners to watch in the hope of improving their skills in the use of our Language.

Although the entire cast are British born native English speakers none of them are using their natural speaking patterns, and as they are assuming non British accents...and weird ones at that...and using convoluted idioms which they link to whichever accent they're adopting...it all makes for a wee bit of a mixed grill situation doesn't it?

Not an ideal program for serious learners of English. You'd do better to follow any of the other UK TV series of programs, serious or comedy.

Why not use Hyacinth Bouquet in "Keeping Up Appearances" as some kind of role model? ;-) She takes great pains in trying to be a very refined and gracious lady of the house even if she nearly always falls flat on her face in the process. I'd give Onslow a miss though, if I was you. I actually met Geoffrey Hughes last summer - the actor who plays Onslow....a really nice guy who speaks exactly as he does on TV....native born Liverpool, but now living way down south on the Isle of Wight...or Vectis, as the Romans called it.

You referred to all the sexual frolics and orientations and peccadilloes of the characters in Rene's cafe as if you took offence to them, Laura......you have to admit it's all pretty harmless and you can bet that compared to real life in a real life cafe or bistro it's really quite tame. As far as the program goes it all adds to the fun we were talking about.

Watching this program in the hope that it follows strict "moral codes" is a wee bit of a waste of time, really. But as I say, it's all quite innocuous....very funny but never offensive unless you really are a prude of the highest order, and I don't suppose that applies to you Laura?
Onslow   Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:13 pm GMT
You mean Hyacinth Bucket? LOL
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:56 am GMT
'Allo 'Allo has just started a nationwide UK tour after a very successful run a the London Palladium where it playued to packed houses every night practically.

Vicki Michelle ("Leesten vairy caairfullee - I will say zis only once!") is the only cast member who appeared in the original TV shows) and long suffering Rene is being played by Jeffrey Holland.

Apparently this particular UK tour is avoiding all the major cities and the venues are mostly in the smaller towns and cities - the nearest location to us here in Edinburgh will be Perth in mid May but even if Arthur Bostrom was "ploying the pert" of Crabtree I don't think I would go out of my way to see the show there - besides, I'll be workng down in London then anyway.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:04 am GMT
***You mean Hyacinth Bucket? LOL ***

That's how the vicar always addresses her but he soon corrects himself with great haste.....everyone seems to live in fear of the awesome (sorry - I mean awful) Hyacinth...even her long suffering husband. Why he hasn't driven her down to Beachy Head one fine day, ignoring all her pleas to mind the cyclist or the stray dog or "slow down, Richard!" or "no Richard - not that way!") - driven the car just to the very edge then leaped out of it himself at the very last second, God only knows.