A French Pronounciation?

Rolando   Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:43 am GMT
greg

Tu es un gross porc, un fils de putain. Va au diable.

Y que te importa si no hablo bien el frances, Suele ser que vos no hables bien el ingles o español. Lo bueno es que personas estupidas y groseras como vos, se dan un mal imagen. Tiene que ver una lengua que te interese aprender, pero siendo el imbecil que vos sos, no lo lograras. Adios Hijo de Puta

Nice. Je suis desolee pour le que te dit. ;-)
Rolando   Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:47 am GMT
by the way nico, is there always a huge diference in writing and speaking french? Does Quebec, Belgium, Switzerland have that? or just France?
Réponse   Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:29 am GMT
"You stress the final syllable much too strongly in many words such as "JaPON" or "mariAGE", "aéroPORT". That makes you sound very foreign, every syllable should have approximately the same intensity."

Stressing final syllabes in French words is stereotype foreigner accent.
I suppose non-francophone students are encouraged by their teachers to do so just to avoid the tendancy (that exists in most other European languages) to drop the final syllabe.

When I hear "sarko-ZEEEE" on an American TV I find it quite funny but it sounds really retarded.

"is there always a huge diference in writing and speaking french? Does Quebec, Belgium, Switzerland have that? or just France?"

French is the same everywhere. The only really diverging variety is the pronunciation of Mediterranean France, which tends to pronounce all mute 'e's and to avoid nasals (in Provence, when say say 'tomber' you hear the 'm').
On the other hand Belgians tend to exagerate the shortening of words. When they say 'possible' you hear something like 'possip'.
Kendra   Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:41 am GMT
''French is the same everywhere. ''

This is simply not true. Canadian French is very different from Parisian French, even in its colloquial (mesolectal) form, for example register used in tv series, sitcoms and movies from Quebec. Most French people need subtitles to understand.
spl0uf   Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:59 am GMT
"This is simply not true. Canadian French is very different from Parisian French, even in its colloquial (mesolectal) form, for example register used in tv series, sitcoms and movies from Quebec. Most French people need subtitles to understand. "

Very true. I wonder if the opposite is true? Do French speakers from Quebec need subtitles to understand "French" French?
Réponse   Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:55 pm GMT
''French is the same everywhere.
This is simply not true."

The question was about the notorious large distance between the spoken and written forms. To that respect there is no difference, the same complicated rules apply.

Of course, Quebec's colloquial speech features a host of specific slang words that most European French speakers do not know. While most movies from Quebec do not need any subtitles, I remember that for the film 'C.R.A.Z.Y', that makes a large use of Montreal popular vernacular, some sentences were indeed subtitled (like 'Trainspotting' offered to American audiences).
parisien   Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:07 pm GMT
@ blanc: cinq n'a pas le meme son que cent.
greg   Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:01 am GMT
Rolando : « is there always a huge diference in writing and speaking french? Does Quebec, Belgium, Switzerland have that? or just France? »

Parler et écrire sont deux choses différentes, en français comme pour toute langue en général. Ceci dit, la prononciation du français varie avec la géographie et la sociologie des locuteurs.

PS : tu ne devrais pas prêter attention au torrent d'insultes étiquetées sous mon nom → c'est une manœuvre grossière de pauvres cloches visant à semer la zizanie chez les visiteurs du forum, peu au fait de l'invasion du site par des imbéciles malveillants (les fameux "trolls"). Sache que je n'insulte jamais mes interlocuteurs.
Monocle owl   Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:43 am GMT
>>Sache que je n'insulte jamais mes interlocuteurs<<

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/0/5/005337a2ca5a129f1847308e80fead88.jpg
Nico   Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:48 am GMT
Kendra,

about quebec,
"Most French people need subtitles to understand."

This is absolutly wrong. I have been to quebec for a few months and understood perfectly the people. I have been to cinema several times and of course there was not any subtitles. I understood perfectly the movies. I don't know where you got that Kendra. It is like an english who is going to USA (except some slang which is typical from some street languages like Baltimore, atlanta), or a portuguese to Brasil or a spanish to Mexico.

Rolando : « is there always a huge diference in writing and speaking french? Does Quebec, Belgium, Switzerland have that? or just France? »

Well it is the same for spanish and english, right? Usually when you write a letter or send an email you avoid to write as if you were talking.
ThePlan   Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:37 pm GMT
''or a portuguese to Brasil ''

In fact, Portuguese movies are subtitled in Brazilian cinemas, whenever they are shown (once a year).
Rolando   Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:30 pm GMT
NICO
>>Well it is the same for spanish and english, right? Usually when you write a letter or send an email you avoid to write as if you were talking. <<

So it's optional?