How's my accent?

lolcat   Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:06 pm GMT
Hi everybody!
Here's a link to a recording of my accent:
http://www.livemocha.com/submissions/review/5228594
Tell me what you think about it, and if you want, take a guess at my native language (without going to my profile! ;).
bubble   Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:17 am GMT
Your accent is pretty good and definitely understandable. I couldn't guess your native language, but generally I'm pretty bad at that kind of guessing.

A few issues:
in "friend's" and "hours", the s should be a 'z' sound, as in 'is'
You have problems with the consonant in "the", although the first time you manage it correctly as far as I can tell.
You pronounce the 'v' in "five" incorrectly.
Some of your vowels seem off, but I'm having trouble putting my finger on it.
Darren   Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:51 pm GMT
I'd say that you're from China/Japan/Korea.
Darren   Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:53 pm GMT
And now I see how wrong I was :)

I didn't even consider that country. Pretty good job.
Joel   Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:34 am GMT
It's very good, although from my comment guessing your origin one thing I noticed is it takes a few words to settle on the accent your aiming for. Either way it is perfectly understandable

I'm guessing your either an East or South Slavic speaker; there is a vocal intonation that a slavic quality at a few points, mainly at the very beggining and after any short pause. Sounds sort of like a friend of mine from Serbia when he speaks. I can guess your aren't Czech, hard to explain why other than I lived there for 2 years and am just familiar with it. Still even before the accent hits the correct rhythm the pronunciation is very clear, good job.
Hazel   Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:16 am GMT
I am a Chinese. I have to say your accent doesn't sounds like Chinese. It's more of the Indian accent. Am I right?