Why do Dutch and Scandinavians speak English so well?

Helena   Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:41 am GMT
An example of Swedish English can be found here, it includes a voice data file and a transcript:
http://www.thebody.com/content/art51696.html
Kumar   Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:16 pm GMT
English sucks as a language. It is not a phonetic language, so it is hard to learn to pronounce words correctly unless you live in some english speaking zone. Only reason I had to still learn it is because it is used everywhere and it makes practical sense to learn English for career and job reasons. Otherwise no point in learning the language of cold people who live in cloudy places and tell "thank you" to even their mothers.
Seattle   Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:03 pm GMT
Not all places that speak English are cloudy. Well, I admit, here is not the best example, as it's one of the cloudiest cities in North America. But compared to parts of BC and Alaska, this is "sun city".
Mortimer   Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:41 pm GMT
<Otherwise no point in learning the language of cold people who live in cloudy places and tell "thank you" to even their mothers.>

Huh? What's wrong with saying "thank you" to your mother? Saying "thank you" is all about treating other people with respect. Surely you respect your Mother?

Kumar, where are you from?
Mortimer   Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:43 pm GMT
By the way, Kumar, the United States is a very sunny place, except in the extreme Northwest.
Main   Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:40 pm GMT
What about Maine?
Main   Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:42 pm GMT
In which languages would someone never say "thank you" to their mother?
Kumar   Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:18 am GMT
Dudes,

I was referring to Great Britain when I was talking about English. Isn't that the source of English. Agreed it is spoken in USA, Canada, Australia and NZ, but it all started from England. Everywhere else it was spread by the English people by force, deceit, divide and conquer or whatever worked. So yeah I currently live in California and for most part at least for few more decades people speak English here (:-) until Mexicans takeover California) and it is very sunny here, but that is not what I meant.

Regarding "thank you" part, it is hard to explain to someone who has never lived outside anglo-saxon culture. There are lots of cultures where people are more calm, quiet and respecting of other people and nature, never conquered or tried to spread their empire anywhere and where nobody uses the outward expressions of thank you at the drop of a hat and yet people are more satisfied and less violent. In anglo saxon cultures there is more emphasis on outward manners and rules than on inside.

Question is not in which language you would never say thank you to your mother, but rather in which cultures people usually do not have to say thank you to their mother because these things are implicit.
asdf   Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:01 pm GMT
That's called taking something for granted. Glad I'm not part of one of those cultures.
Guest   Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:09 pm GMT
I liked Kumar's explanation. There's true in it. Although Statians will never admit it, lol.
History   Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:40 pm GMT
<<I was referring to Great Britain when I was talking about English. Isn't that the source of English. Agreed it is spoken in USA, Canada, Australia and NZ, but it all started from England. Everywhere else it was spread by the English people by force, deceit, divide and conquer or whatever worked.>>

You're correct in that English originated in Great Britain, but you're wrong about the rest. In fact, the British did NOT want everyone to learn their language, but wanted to keep it to themselves. The British Empire certainly used force, deceit, divided and conquered, but this was not in order to impose the English language on the people. It was actually the French who desperately wanted everyone to learn French.

When you force something on someone, it usually backfires as it did to these languages: the British wanted to keep English elite but it turned into the global language, the French wanted everyone to speak French, but nobody did. People PROTEST against force and do the exact opposite.
kana   Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:03 pm GMT
no, we are forced now to learn english.
jacky   Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:09 pm GMT
It's the American who make english a lingua franca, not the brits. And they succeeded because of money, industry, military bases, movie, music etc...
kumar   Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:16 pm GMT
<<the British wanted to keep English elite but it turned into the global language, the French wanted everyone to speak French, but nobody did. People PROTEST against force and do the exact opposite.>>

That is not correct. Search about "Macaulay education policy" on google and you will know exactly what is correct. You know who truely wanted to keep their language elite, it was Brahmins in India who wanted to keep Sanskrit elite and it truly remained elite til today. Nowadays British and Americans whine: oh how these Indians are taking our jobs in engineering and BPOs, but they don't know History of the British attempt to spread their financial and cultural empire with their language.
Jasper   Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:25 pm GMT
ASDF: "That's called taking something for granted. Glad I'm not part of one of those cultures."

I think I'm inclined to agree.

A person who doesn't say "thank you" because it's implicit seems to hold a sense of entitlement.