Is "for sure" incorrect ?

Laurent   Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:17 am GMT
I've always found it very tacky and vulgar. Not many native speakers use it. But many foreigners who speak good English use it (especially in America). It's annoying.
Westerner   Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:53 am GMT
It's simply slang that elderly people use. There's nothing wrong with it.
Trimac20   Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:16 am GMT
I know lots of people who use it. Why is it tacky or vulgar? I associate it with Valley girls/surfers, 'Fer sher' lol.
suinot   Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:06 am GMT
I don't think it's all that slangy:

1st guy: "It's a real scorcher out here today, uh?"
2nd guy: "That's for sure."
kw   Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:17 am GMT
They say that in Utah.
WRP   Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:40 am GMT
Are those "foreigners who speak good English" from Canada? Because in my experience that's who says it most often. Not sure what is tacky or vulgar about it.
Johnny   Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:23 am GMT
It's standard. It's in dictionaries.
Estel   Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:29 am GMT
My friend from Texas says it all the time. Nothing weird about it. I personally don't say it often. On the other hand, "for real" just rolls out naturally. :)
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:57 am GMT
"For sure" is used in the UK but not really all that widely, and I think's it's used more up here in Scotland than it is in England, and in any case I believe it originates from Ireland but I need confirmation of that - I know the Irish say "To be sure!" quite often.

I heard an economist use it only the other evening during a discussion on a BBC TV program...something on the lines of "Well, that'll very much be the outcome of all this and that's for sure!" He was adding further emphasis to his convictions.

Probably many people here in the UK will tend not to use it so much if they were told it was proved to be an American term.