Dutch people

sdake   Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:01 pm GMT
French or Spanish are more difficult than Dutch grammatically

This is absolutely true!
Again   Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:07 pm GMT
Of course,mr(s). Leasnam.Dutch is easier for native English speaker than French or Spanish.Dutch and English are Germanic ,Spanish and French are Romance languages.
Edgar   Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:25 pm GMT
I know a few English mates who are struggling with learning Dutch. As a German native, I can assure you that it's like learning another dialect for Germans, though I have to admit that the pronounciation is kind of tricky. Anyway, Dutch and German have so much more in common.
skip   Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:40 pm GMT
you that it's like learning another dialect for Germans,

a dialect with a simplified grammar: no grammar cases, more analytical verbal tenses, no subjunctive mood
Leasnam   Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:08 pm GMT
<<I know a few English mates who are struggling with learning Dutch. As a German native, I can assure you that it's like learning another dialect for Germans, though I have to admit that the pronounciation is kind of tricky. Anyway, Dutch and German have so much more in common. >>

You sure "Edgar" is your echte Name?

You sicher es ist nicht "1", "that's just me" oder "once more"?

Vielleicht solltest du "noch ein mal" geschrieben hast...
PARISIEN   Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:35 pm GMT
"I can assure you that it's like learning another dialect for Germans"

You mean, Dutch is not primarily a German dialect?...
12345   Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:45 am GMT
«wk Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:06 am GMT
What do people from the Netherlands and Belgium think of the English language? How would you descibe its sound compared to Dutch? Does it seem like learning your own language because it is so similar? How easy is it to understand without study? »

I'm Dutch and I'd say the following:
Well, what I think of the English language.. It's just a language, that's it.

The sounds in English are very different to Dutch. In English a lot of vowels aren't spoken, and well it's not as harsh as Dutch. In English more words look like each other when spoken.

Learning English doesn't seem like learning Dutch at all. Of course, some rules are the same, but in general I never had the feeling it was about equal as Dutch.

It's not easy without studying. Yeah, you can read basic sentences without too difficult words. When I was young and played computer games my sister had to help sometimes to tell me what was on the screen.
Edgar   Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:57 pm GMT
"You sure "Edgar" is your echte Name?"

Lol, yes I'm absolutely sure! This post above was my first one in this thread. Why do you ask anyway? Just because I agree with them? Well, that is because it's a fact ;-)
Lingua   Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:31 pm GMT
>> French or Spanish are more difficult than Dutch grammatically <<

Both Spanish and French are far easier in grammatical structure than Dutch is.

>> I know a few English mates who are struggling with learning Dutch. As a German native, I can assure you that it's like learning another dialect for Germans, though I have to admit that the pronounciation is kind of tricky. Anyway, Dutch and German have so much more in common. <<

Dutch to Germans surely isn't like learning a "dialect". Dutch has a significantly different vocabulary, its core is indeed pretty unique whereas German and English core vocabulary overlap much more with each other than either does with Dutch.

Dutch has very different historical sound rules, phonology and grammatical structure. As with many related languages people generally compare the [written] rather than [spoken] language to their own, which greatly distorts the objective image.

Dutch and German are very, very, different languages.

>>You mean, Dutch is not primarily a German dialect?... <<

Dutch isn't a German dialect. Within the West Germanic continuum (which is pretty much akin to the medieval Romance continuum) there are 4 main clades. High German, Low German aka (Saxon), Frisian and Dutch (aka True Frankish). These all have dialects bound to them which overlap (ie become more or less intelligible) in their own peripheries with other dialects.

Dutch has a special position as it is the only language which overlaps with Frisian and is clearly distinguishable (through clear sound rules) from all others.
Guest   Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:44 pm GMT
To me Dutch is in the middle between English and German, perhaps a bit closer to German.
linguist   Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:20 am GMT
Both Spanish and French are far easier in grammatical structure than Dutch is.

Dutch verbal system is far easier than the Romance languages one that's a fact. Articles and verb conjugation are a breeze. Dutch is on the whole much more simplified than German. It's just a bit easier than Swedish and Norwgegian, the easiest European languages. The Pronunciation is another story..
linguist   Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:24 am GMT
It's just a bit easier

I meant, It's just a bit more complicated....
rep   Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:50 am GMT
Low (Saxon) German is very closely related to Dutch. Low (Franconian )German -Low Rhenish (Kleve,Wesel areas ) dialects are part of Dutch dialects(very similar to Zuid Gelders).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/Continental_West_Germanic_languages.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Rhenish
Example:
<<Achter ons hüs stonn dar drijj mojje Äappelböom met rooje äppelkes.“ (Wenker Satz 26). >>-Kleverlaendisch
„Hinter unserem Hause stehen drei schöne Apfelbäume /drei Apfelbäumchen mit roten Äpfeln/Äpfelchen.“ -Standard German
(Ndl.) „Achter ons huis stonden drie mooie appelbomen, met rode appeltjes.“-Standard Dutch
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kleverl%C3%A4ndisch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Guelderish
Middle Dutch and Middle Low Saxon were varieties of the same Middle Low German language in medieval times:
<<De my na volget, de wandert nicht ir. der dusternisse, spreckt de Here.>>(Luebeck,Middle Low Saxon)
<<Die mi volghet, die en wandert niet in duusternisse, seit die Heer.(Leiden,Middle Dutch)
<<Wy scholen mer soken de nutticheyt in der schrift dan subtilicheyt der rede>>.(Luebeck,Middle Low Saxon)
<<Wi sellen meer soeken nutticheit inder scriften dan subtijlheit der woorden.>>
(Leiden,Middle Dutch)
http://www.dbnl.org/tekst/thom001ccde01_01/thom001ccde01_01_0016.htm
Lingua   Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:41 am GMT
>>Low (Saxon) German is very closely related to Dutch. Low (Franconian )German -Low Rhenish (Kleve,Wesel areas ) dialects are part of Dutch dialects(very similar to Zuid Gelders). <<

What is called "Low Franconian" is in fact just Dutch. Low German is only superficially close to Dutch; because both took no or little part in the Second Germanic sound shift. That however obscures the fact that Dutch had many sound shifts of it's own. Low German is in effect High German - SGSS, whereas Dutch isn't.

Most linguists believe that Low Saxon is closer to English and High German when all aspects (including grammar, vocabulary and phonetics, idiom) are included. Not Dutch.
rep   Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:16 am GMT
Low German dialects and Dutch are more mutually intelligible,than Standard High German and Swiss High German dialects.
West Flemish- variety(or dialect) of Dutch ,has many differences(vocabulary,phonetics,grammar) from Standard Dutch,but it is dialect of Dutch.
Maybe,Dutch and Low German are similar to each other in the same degree,as Danish,Swedish and Norwegian (Bokmaal and Nynorsk) are similar to each other .