Shag

Robin Michael   Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:10 pm GMT
Is this something to do with carpets, and long stories that don't have an obvious ending?
Guest   Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:12 pm GMT
The RSPB: Shag
Shags are goose-sized dark long-necked birds similar to cormorants but smaller. In the breeding season adults develop a dark glossy green plumage and ...
www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/shag/index.asp - 37k - Cached - Similar pages
A.N. Other   Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:15 pm GMT
Shag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Collegiate shag, a swing dance from the 1920s that was popular among college students at the time; Carolina shag, a swing dance that began in South Carolina ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shag - 20k - Cached - Similar pages
Helpful   Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:18 pm GMT
Austin Powers   Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:24 pm GMT
The answer is to be found in Wikipedia:

Different shag styles

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/68/Shag-tobacco-01_(xndr).jpg/350px-Shag-tobacco-01_(xndr).jpg

Sometimes additives like sugar, glycerol and fruit flavors are added,

American shag

Halfzware is a combination of Light and Zware shag. A typical Dutch style blend.

Brands of shag

* American Spirit
* Bali Shag
* Bank
* Camel
* Cutters Choice
* Death (cigarette)
* Drum
* Golden Virginia
* Javaanse Jongens
* Longbeach
* Marlboro
* Old Holborn
* White Ox
* Winfield
* Van Nelle
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:49 pm GMT
Shag....a mass of tangled, matted wool fibre or hair - like mine when I come out of the shower or the pool.

Shaggy....the adjective describing this....this often applies to a dog....the shaggy coat of a dog when it needs clipping. A shaggy dog story however is a long, rambling tale without any satisfactory ending...usually ending in a feeble "joke" which the audience rarely hears because everyone has fallen asleep.

Shag pile is the carpet connection...the type of yarn of textile fabric of a carpet that stands upright from the weave.

Shag....in the UK this is a type of cormorant.....a seabird found all along the entire coasts of the British Isles but they never venture away from the shorelines...sexes are identical but they manage to tell the difference....(like our cocky wee friend the British robin)....Shag: black in colour but tinged with dark green and it displays a cute little head crest during the spring and summer seasons. Range is coastal Europe and part of the North African coast only. I've seen loads of shag on the Firth shoreline a short hike away from where I live... and also on the coast of Fife around St Andrews and also on the coast near Dunbar. Shag is both the singular and the plural....shags are something else altogether...see the last paragraph below.

As stated above - shag is a type of tobacco - I know absolutely zilch about tobacco - I've never used it and never will.....I value my lungs too much.

Shag....one of the British slang words for sexual intercourse.