SHMU Woodside Aberdeen Scotland

Robin Michael   Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:50 pm GMT
This is how people talk in Torry.
http://web.ku.edu/idea/europe/scotland/scotland.htm
Number Eleven

LISTEN TO THE RADIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.shmu.org.uk/radio/radofrm.shtml

Station House Media Unit, Station Road, Woodside, Aberdeen, AB24 2WB

"London Calling" The Clash

London calling to the faraway towns
Now war is declared, and battle come down
London calling to the underworld
Come out of the cupboard, you boys and girls
London calling, now don't look to us
Phoney Beatlemania has bitten the dust
London calling, see we ain't got no swing
'Cept for the ring of that truncheon thing

[Chorus 1:]
The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Meltdown expected, the wheat is growing thin
Engines stop running, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river

London calling to the imitation zone
Forget it, brother, you can go it alone
London calling to the zombies of death
Quit holding out, and draw another breath
London calling, and I don't wanna shout
But while we were talking, I saw you nodding out
London calling, see we ain't got no high
Except for that one with the yellowy eyes

[Chorus 2: x2]
The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Engines stop running, the wheat is growing thin
A nuclear error, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river

Now get this

London calling, yes, I was there, too
An' you know what they said? Well, some of it was true!
London calling at the top of the dial
After all this, won't you give me a smile?
London calling

I never felt so much alike [fading] alike alike alike
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:39 pm GMT
Robin:

I meant to acknowledge your post long before now but for some reason I forgot! Great link - not ony for our familar Scottish accents content but also for all the others right across the ESW.

Are you anywhere near Torry by any chance? It's up near Huntly or Keith is it not? Sounds true Aberdeenshire to me, and the lassie on Scotland 16 - if she was a he then the voice and accent would be more or less identical to mine as she is the same age group (born the year after me) and has lived here in Edinburgh all her life, as is the case with me.

You know what - I shall log into this clip when I am working down London if, and when, I feel just a wee bit homesick but I reckon I'll either be too busy working or too busy having fun to ever get into that frame of mind.

The Edinburgh girl did the same as I did and went to uni in England in spite of the fees issue - free here in Scotland - Cambridge in her case, and Leeds in mine, but nae matter. Leeds has a fantastic English Department.

She's quite right about the accent in and around Edinburgh being about the most Anglicised in the whole of Scotland, as it was in this region of Scotland that English as a distinct Language first took hold in Scotland all those years ago.

Over the weekend I was in Oban, on the west coast in Argyll, and the local accent is also very nice - quite soft and almost musical as it is much further up - in the Western Isles.

Thanks again for the really good link - I like it because the voices are of people who are my contemporaries.

Before in this Forum I've posted links to the BBC site containing voice recording of all sorts from all parts of the UK - and some are in the Gaelic and Welsh Languages.
Robin Michael   Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:28 am GMT
Hi Damian

I tried to make this correction earlier, 14 not 11, but I was unable too.
http://web.ku.edu/idea/europe/scotland/scotland.htm

Torry is part of Aberdeen. It is just across the River Dee from the City Centre.

-----------Scotland Fourteen Male, student, born 1983, born and raised Torry, Aberdeen Scotland Fourteen --------------------

I live in an area that is politely called 'Woodside', closer to the River Don, on the other side of Aberdeen. Aberdonians know the particular area where I live as 'Sandilands'. It is the sort of area where Taxis refuse to go.

I had a discussion the other day from someone from Seaton, Aberdeen, about 'Tinks' or 'Tiddly Winks'. It reminded me of a party I went to in Kincorth, Aberdeen, in which "Torry Tinks" were compared unfavourably with "Kincorth Quines". A quine being an Aberdeen word for a young female of the species.

"Most Anglicised in the whole of Scotland": Surely that title goes to the area around Inverness (around Culloden). Not the first area to be anglicised but the last, which has yet to develop its own dialect.

'Tinks' being short for 'Tinkers'. These people were given Council Housing in the twenties and thirties when these areas were built in the traditional granite (Granite Council Tenaments).

The Travellers: Ireland’s Ethnic Minority

There is a very bad attitude in these 'Regeneration Areas' of Aberdeen. People will often say, how little they care for the area they live in.
Robin Michael   Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:43 am GMT
Sorry again: the word I meant was "Tenements".

Tenements is an old word, and not a very nice one. What I was referring top were Flats built around a common stairwell. The block I live in contains six flats, and it is attached to another block, and so on.

A picture: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1195002