How to pronounce "What'd" correctly?

English_Obsessed   Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:56 pm GMT
It still raises a lot of confusion to me. In my opinion "What'd" sounds the same to "What". Or should we pronounce 2 similar consonants one after another?
Thank you.
Buddy   Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:58 pm GMT
<<"What'd">>

This should sound like "wha'd", with a "d" terminating sound
Johnny   Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:50 pm GMT
I think it's pronounced as "whudud", with two syllables. Like "It'd", idud.
Leasnam   Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:57 pm GMT
I don't usually pronounce the extra syllable either, I say
"What'd /hw@d/ you do?"
more often than
"Whadud you do?"

"What'd /hw@d/ be a good place to eat tonight?" rather than
"Whadud be a good place to eat tonight?"
Leasnam   Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:59 pm GMT
<<"It'd">>

Again, I don't pronounce this as "idud" but as "idd"

"It'd /Id/ be a bad idea for you to think I pronounce this with two syllables..."
grey   Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:07 pm GMT
Whudud, but the middle d is just a light tap, like an r in Spanish.
Carol   Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:25 pm GMT
I'm a native speaker, from Michigan, and I pronounce it as only one syllable -- whud.
wk   Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:40 pm GMT
What'd you do? In casual speech can sound like [wVdZMdM]. In more careful speech: [wVdjMdM]. Wow that looks so bizarre in XSAMPA.
Johnny   Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:50 pm GMT
I am not a native speaker, but I would always pronounce "what would you do?" as "wuwa jew do?", but maybe it's just my personal preference, since it's the way I think I hear it most of the time.
Would you guys pronounce "what would you do?" the same way you would pronounce "would you do?". If you say "what'd" as "whud", then it's like "would" too.
What'd you do? = Wud you do? = Would you do?
Travis   Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:44 pm GMT
I pronounce "what'd" as [ˈwʌd̥]; note that *"wud" in my dialect would actually be [ˈwʌːd̥], as this is one of the sorts of cases in my dialect where vowel length really does matter. Same thing with "it'd" [ˈɪd̥] versus "id" [ˈɪːd̥] in my dialect as well.
CID   Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:04 am GMT
<<What'd you do? = Wud you do? = Would you do? >>

"What'd you do"? as /w@dju du/ could only mean "What did you do?" never "what would you do?"

For that we would ennunciate the "would" more to forestall confusion between the two

What'd you think of that? /w@dZa Tink @v D{t/?
wk   Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:20 am GMT
What'd has the "hut" vowel
would has the "wood" vowel

No possibility of confusion.
CID   Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:24 am GMT
<<What'd has the "hut" vowel
would has the "wood" vowel >>

In Gen Am English, yes, but not in all varieties of English.

<<No possibility of confusion. >>

I know that (for AmEng) but please tell Johnny.
He's the one who wonders if it could happen
User   Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:42 am GMT
<<Would you guys pronounce "what would you do?" the same way you would pronounce "would you do?". If you say "what'd" as "whud", then it's like "would" too.
What'd you do? = Wud you do? = Would you do? >>

No.
Johnny   Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:31 am GMT
Maybe now I understand. You use "what'd" and pronounce it with one syllable to mean "what did"! Yeah, I knew that, but for some reason I was only thinking of "what would" and I got confused. How do you contract that? "What would?" - I don't. It's just "wuwa", lol, but I keep both "w" sounds.