I find Chinese is more flexible than English

china1   Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:42 pm GMT
For example,
我是一个学生(I am a student),我是个学生(I am student)
我是一名学生(I am a student),我是名学生(I am student)
Here “一个”,“一名” that means “a”.
一本书(a book),一句话(a sentence), 一只猫(a cat)。

The similar Chinese quantifiers such as,
匹、张、座、回、场、尾、条、个、首、阙、阵、网、炮、顶、丘、棵、只、支、袭、辆、挑、担、颗、壳、窠、曲、墙、群、腔、砣、座、客、贯、扎、捆、刀、令、打、手、罗、坡、山、岭、江、溪、钟、队、单、双、对、出、口、头、跳、枝、件、贴、针、线、管、名、位、身、堂、课、本、页、丝、毫、厘、分、钱、两、斤、担、铢、石、钧、锱、忽、毫、厘、分、寸、尺、丈、里、寻、常、铺、程、撮、勺、合、升、斗、石、盘、碗、碟、叠、桶、笼、盆、盒、杯、钟、斛、锅、簋、篮、盘、桶、罐、瓶、壶、卮、盏、箩、箱、煲、啖、袋、钵、年、月、日、季、刻、时、周、天、秒、分、旬、纪、岁、世、更、夜、春、夏、秋、冬、代、伏、辈丸、泡、粒、颗、幢、堆

While English just has a,an,piece,group,pile,bunch,etc.,a little quantifiers. In most cases only uses a, an. So I think Chinese is more complicated than English.
shut up   Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:52 pm GMT
Does Chinese have verb tenses?
china1   Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:56 pm GMT
Does Chinese have verb tenses?
====================
No,all of the verbs don't change,which is easier than English.
reality   Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:58 pm GMT
No,all of the verbs don't change,which is easier than English

Imagine a romance language like Portuguese, a real nightmare for a chinese....
china1   Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:06 pm GMT
Imagine a romance language like Portuguese, a real nightmare for a chinese....

haha, maybe
.   Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:33 pm GMT
<<So I think Chinese is more complicated than English. >>

English is perhaps the simplest major language on the planet, when everything is taken into consideration
diablito   Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:44 pm GMT
English is perhaps the simplest major language on the planet, when everything is taken into consideration

This is really stupid! English isn't easy at all. It's just a cliché
snorton   Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:39 pm GMT
<<This is really stupid! English isn't easy at all. It's just a cliché >>

I suppose learning English is not easy in absolute terms, but recently, after much deliberation, some group over in Europe declared the English was easier than other languages to learn. I think they considered only major langauges, and not artificial ones (like Interlingua) or pidgins.
fucking   Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:41 pm GMT
It's easy to learn to a shit level like almost everyone has but you'll never get higher than that without putting in 5 times more effort.
Northeasterner   Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:22 am GMT
<<It's easy to learn to a shit level like almost everyone has but you'll never get higher than that without putting in 5 times more effort. >>

Aren't all languages very difficult to learn to a native level of fluency? You have to learn all the subtle conventions and unwritten rules that are second nature to the native speakers.

The big advantage of English is that there are relatively few rules to learn as you're starting out, so you can write English that's understandable early on in the learning process -- make sure to use a spellchecker, though. :) As you progress a little, you'll soon get to the point where your English is not wrong, just "different", "unusual" or "strange", i.e. not something a native speaker would say.
Prakash   Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:03 am GMT
PM announces grant to promote Hindi in China
13 Jan 2008, 2032 hrs IST, PTI

बीजिंग: इस उत्साह चीनी युवाओं ने रविवार को हिन्दी, प्रधानमंत्री मनमोहन सिंह को जानने के लिए दिखाया से प्रभावित रुपये के अनुदान की घोषणा की
प्रतिष्ठित पेकिंग यूनिवर्सिटी में चीन की राजधानी में इस संस्थान भारतीय अध्ययन के लिए 75 लाख.

सिंह ने, जब वह रविवार को इस संस्थान के प्रमुख डॉ. जियांग Jainkui पहले मिले इस निर्णय को अवगत कराया. एक भारतीय अधिकारी ने प्रधानमंत्री को हिन्दी में चीनी प्रोफेसर के साथ pleasantries बदल कहा.

यह संस्थान भारतीय अध्ययन की गई चीनी लोगों के बीच भारतीय संस्कृति और हिन्दी भाषा को बढ़ावा देने में एक लंबे समय के लिए सक्रिय किया है.

छात्रों ने कहा कि प्रधानमंत्री ने अपने तीन जो रविवार को शुरू हुई इस देश के लिए दिन की यात्रा के दौरान उन्हें बैठक नहीं होगी निराशा व्यक्त की थी.

अपने व्यस्त कार्यक्रम के बावजूद सिंह ने शीघ्र ही 2008 बीजिंग ओलंपिक खेलों के प्रस्तावित स्थल का दौरा करने के बाद जियांग से मिलने का फैसला किया.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/PM_announces_grant_to_promote_Hindi_in_China/rssarticleshow/2697168.cms
Jordan   Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:34 am GMT
Uyghur or Uygur People

Their flag is almost identical to the Turkish flag except the background is light blue rather than red. About 7.3 million of them live in Western China, which is their homeland, and they are trying to obtain independance from China.
SJF   Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:18 am GMT
To Jordan
Maybe the uyghur people would free to eat pork and drink alcohol if they get independance from China?