Most under-rated language is

tarikur   Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:52 pm GMT
Bengali. It is sad to see important documents are translated to more than 20 languages but Bengali is not one of them. It is sad to see college advertising more than 30 language that they teach but Bengali is not one of them.

There are about 200 million speakers, ranking 5 or 6th most widely spoken first langauge in the world. It is the lingua franka of Bangladesh (the only official language of Bangladesh and unlike India or Pakistan, English is not learned or used much in Bangladesh) and the Eastern part of India.

Bengali is the second most spoken language in India after Hindi. There are more native Bengali speakers than Hindi/urdu speakers combined according to some reliable source like this one http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm . This is because government of India register other mutually intelligible langauge as a Hindi dialect to increase the population of Hindi speaking people.

Some of the best literature are written in Bengali like by the Rabindranath Tagore, Nobel Prize winner. Most of India's movies, great literature, songs are written in Bengali.

Bengali is the most under-rated language ever.
Skippy   Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:49 pm GMT
You may be right... At the office where I work, perhaps 1/3 of our employees are from India and most of them (if not all of them) speak Bengali.

Certainly there are others that may be considered the 'most' underrated, but Bengali can certainly be argued.
tarikur   Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:50 pm GMT
No, there is not any other language that is much under-rated as much as Bengali. Bengali is the 5 or 6 mostly widely spoken language in the world with nearly 200 millions speakers and second major language in India yet more documents translated to and studied as second language like Danish (5.3 million speakers), Lao (3.2 million speakers), Filipino (17 million speakers),Thai (46 million speakers).
Greg   Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:21 pm GMT
The most overrated is French. This is sure
Skippy   Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:16 pm GMT
Judging from this message board, I'm starting to think Chinese is the most overrated :-)
wazx   Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:04 pm GMT
The most underrated language is Indonesian
tarikur   Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:51 pm GMT
<<<<<<The most underrated language is Indonesian >>>>

NO, Bengali is more under-rated than Indonesian. Indonesian language has 17 million native speakers where Bengali language have 200 million native speakers yet I see more Indonesian language than Bengali language and they even offer classes in Indonesian language in my university but do not offer classes in Bengali language.

I am sick and tired of the discrimination of Bengali language. For example, I live in the USA and my Internet Explorer browser do not support Bengali font yet it support more than 40 fonts of different languages. When I go to Wikipedia, I see little boxes where Bengali font is written but I do not see little boxes for any other language script. Luckily, Firefox supports Bengali font. I am going to write to microsoft and complain about this discrimination.
blaz   Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:51 pm GMT
Who cares? Bangladesh is such a poor language it wouldn't be important even if a billion people spoke it. They are the parasites of South East Asia, so who cares about it. Thai and Sinhalese even are more important than it, not to mention Vietnamese!
Lolly   Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:39 pm GMT
I think Vietnamese is the language of the future, because of its logic spelling reform
LL   Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:56 pm GMT
What do you mean by "logic spelling reform"? Is there a new one?
Rui   Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:13 pm GMT
Portuguese;
Bengali;
Thai;
tarikur   Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:19 am GMT
<<<<<<Who cares? Bangladesh is such a poor language it wouldn't be important even if a billion people spoke it. They are the parasites of South East Asia, so who cares about it. Thai and Sinhalese even are more important than it, not to mention Vietnamese! >>>>>>>>

Dude, you are clueless. Bangladesh is not a language. Bengali is the language and it second language of India and primary langauge of Bangladesh. Bangladesh is not part of SouthEast Asian.

Lol, Bangladesh's GDP is more than Vietnam and Sri lanka (meaning Bangladesh is a bigger market). Bangladesh is 56th largest economy in the world. If you are measuring by GDP per capita, the Qater, Hong Kong, Singapore should be most powerful country in the world rather than USA. Other than garments, Bangladesh import everything other countries. Bangladesh should demand companies make their in Benagli.

Lol, Bangladesh's economy is one of the few economies right now in this global recession that is still growing rapidly and accelerating at rapid pace mainly due to lowering the price of global commodities. Unlike the most countries, Bangladesh's economy is independent and it is not connected to the world's economy. I and I hope the recession never goes away and so most countries suffers, so global commodities always will be at low price like now.
Skippy   Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:20 am GMT
Well, Bangladesh is a member of the WTO and IMF (amongst others)... Plus, a lot of their growth can be credited to SAFTA...

I know nothing about how well Bangladesh is doing in the crisis, but they're far from independent.
tarikur   Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:17 pm GMT
<<<<<Well, Bangladesh is a member of the WTO and IMF (amongst others)... Plus, a lot of their growth can be credited to SAFTA...

I know nothing about how well Bangladesh is doing in the crisis, but they're far from independent. >>>>>

Lol, this is the funniest thing I heard that SAPTA is the reason for Bangladesh's economic growth. SAPTA actually hurt Bangladesh more than anything.
Bangladesh only export about 250 million to India while bangladesh imports about 2 Billion from India. Look at the big trade deficit.
http://www.bangladeshnews.com.bd/2006/10/06/bangladesh-closes-trade-deficit-with-india-by-14pc/

Bangaldesh's economy is pretty much independent. More than 90% of Bangladesh's invest come from within unlike most countries where investment are foreign driven.
blanchette   Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:21 pm GMT
Who cares? Bangladesh is such a poor language it wouldn't be important even if a billion people spoke it. They are the parasites of South East Asia, so who cares about it.

shame on you! Idiot