'pronunciation' pronunciation

Choose   Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:32 pm GMT
I was shocked to find out how dictionary.com pronounces it:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pronunciation

I used to pronounce it as: pronoun-ciation and so does my American friend.
upstater   Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:33 am GMT
I usually say -- Pro+nun+see+[h]ay+shun (h not pronounced). Often, the initial "o" is schwa'd out, though.
klagh   Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:23 am GMT
It's pronounced: /pronVnsieS@n/ or by a few people as /pronaUnsieS@n/.
Dan   Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:43 am GMT
Pro-nunce (like "dunce")-c-aaytion.
Rick Johnson   Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:33 am GMT
Definitely as the recording and the spelling suggests.
Travis   Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:45 pm GMT
I myself say [pʰʁə̃ːˌnʌ̃ntsjˈeʃɨ̃(ː)n], which is actually pretty close to the form of such in General American, aside from the realization of historical /iː/ as [j], which is not standard per se but actually quite common, the monophthongal historical /eɪ̯/, and the uvular /r/.
Travis   Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:17 pm GMT
That should actually be [pʰʁə̃ːˌnʌ̃ntsjˈěʃɨ̃(ː)n] above, but that is only a minor difference in pitch accentuation (yes, my dialect has such in realization).
Tony   Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:28 pm GMT
<< [pʰʁə̃ːˌnʌ̃ntsjˈeʃɨ̃(ː)n] >>

How many of you reading this can understand what it means?

(I don't)
Shuimo   Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:34 pm GMT
Tony, you're an idiot!
Caspian   Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:02 pm GMT
Lol I know how you feel Tony
sl   Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:10 pm GMT
Well, I can't read it either unfortunately. It's obviously written in IPA, but my mobile phone's browser can't render it properly properly so it just looks like a bunch of gibberish. I can only view transcriptions in XSAMPA.
Travis   Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:58 pm GMT
I much prefer IPA over X-SAMPA, but if you so insist, that's [p_hR@~:%nV~ntsj"e_RS1~(:)n].
Bleh   Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:26 am GMT
<< [pʰʁə̃ːˌnʌ̃ntsjˈeʃɨ̃(ː)n] >>

that's a uvular fricative, or "French R"... why the hell would you pronounce it like that? and where's the diphtong before [ʃ]? it should be [eiʃɨ̃n]
Travis   Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:28 pm GMT
>><< [pʰʁə̃ːˌnʌ̃ntsjˈeʃɨ̃(ː)n] >>

that's a uvular fricative, or "French R"... why the hell would you pronounce it like that? and where's the diphtong before [ʃ]? it should be [eiʃɨ̃n]<<

Mind you that historical /eɪ̯/ and /oʊ̯/ are not diphthongs in all English dialects, and that some dialects in the Upper Midwest actually have uvular rhotics, at least in certain environments. (Note that that is really a uvular approximant, not a voiced uvular fricative, most of the time, like such in German rather than such in French.)
Lazar   Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:50 pm GMT
I pronounce it with a short "u". How it's supposed to be pronounced. Like we do in Gaysachusetts.