which accent do you prefer British or American?

Larissa   Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:09 pm GMT
hi i'd like to know which accent do you prefer (just currious) British or American? well personally i like British accent (especially Daniel Radcliffe's in harry potter lol) but i prefer American accent!
and how about you? what's your preferance? thanks
(sorry for the mistakes i don't speak much English)
Travis   Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:21 pm GMT
mjd, if you are listening (even though you probably are not), delete the two posts above ASAP.
Pete   Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:34 pm GMT
Larissa, don't even bother on reading what thos trolls, Guest and Truth have written. They are probably the same person as well. Personally, I like most of the British accents and quite a few American ones. Southern American accent makes me laugh, hehehe I can't help smiling when I hear them.
Larissa   Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:39 pm GMT
I know pete thank you for your message
Larissa   Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:22 pm GMT
Larissa Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:39 pm GMT
"I know pete thank you for your message "
i'd like to know who used my name cause it's not my message

by the way pete thanks for your answer where r u from plz (if it's not a secret of course)
Pete   Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:47 pm GMT
I'm from Peru. But I live in Spain. By now. Don't worry much about trolls, a forum is not a forum without them.
Guest   Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:06 pm GMT
I like Cornish (English) accents, just like pirates have..........Aaaarrh! Shiver me timbers, all hands ahoy! Grab that lan'lubber powder monkey an' scuttle up the ol' jacob's ladder aaaarrh me hearties!!
Pete   Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:38 am GMT
Sounds cool...
Kirk   Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:31 am GMT
I enjoy listening to English accents from all over the world.
Travis   Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:36 am GMT
mjd, my comment was not about whether you are really watching this forum or not, but rather about the state which the "languages" forum has gotten into, to the point that many individuals such as myself completely avoid it these days due to how far rampant trolls have run there today. At this point, the only reason why I am not for either mass thread deletions or simply deleting that forum altogether is because then those individuals would be likely to simply invade this forum instead. I would personally favor doing mass bannings of trolls in there, but *unfortunately* this forum does not permit non-IP based bans, when they could have been easily implemented at a certain point in time in the past...
Abednego   Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:58 am GMT
Both RP and DAE are nice and perfectly comprehensible. Personally, I think RP sounds more sophisticated than GAE. I would compare it to watching a movie with enhanced audio and visual effects which are not necessary to follow the plot but which are nice, nevertheless. One might also compare it to driving a BMW vs. a Nissan. The Nissan is a perfectly nice car and will get you from point A to point B just fine but the BMW is just a bit smoother, sleeker, etc...

The truth is, however, that I prefer GAE to some of the very broadest local accents of Britain. I find broad Cockney somewhat sloppy ("sa?udie and li?o for Saturday and little) and I am completely dumbfounded by the fact that many northern accents are completely missing the "strut" vowel. (Money, blood, cup, and even fuck sound weird - like on "The Full Monty" where they say "fock" or "mony").

I guess what I'm trying to say is that standard British sounds slightly better than standard American but that standard American sounds better than sub-standard British.

As far as sub-standard American is concerned, well that would also be low on my list of "nice" sounding accents. If you were to ask me, which sounds worse: sub-standard British or sub-standard American, I would have to say that it really all depends on the degree of sub-standardness.

I DO like the sound of certain non-RP British accents, but just not the very rough ones.
Kirk   Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:01 am GMT
<<If you were to ask me, which sounds worse: sub-standard British or sub-standard American, I would have to say that it really all depends on the degree of sub-standardness. >>

There is no such thing as "sub-standard" if we're referring to native speakers of any language.
nye   Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:01 am GMT
I prefer the British accents, but that just may be because I grew up with an American one. Pirate accents are fun also.
runCDfirst   Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:12 am GMT
I prefer to learn and therefore to speak in an American accent. i think it's faster and easier for me as an English learner to catch the American accent. But when it comes to listening, I would say that British speakers sounds better to my ears. Again, that's just me.
Brennus   Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:37 am GMT
runCDfirst

Welecome to the Antimoon Forum.

Re:

"...American accent. i think it's faster and easier for me as an English learner to catch the American accent...."

Understood; Yes, American English is simpler than British English - something that was discussed on this forum about a week ago.

" But when it comes to listening, I would say that British speakers sounds better to my ears. Again, that's just me. "

Americans themselves, generally speaking, do not like their accents. In fact, research as shown that products sell better in America when the announcer has a British accent; a team of psychologists even found in their tests that American police officers were more likely to let a traffic violator with a British accent off with just a warning than one with an American accent.