which accent do you prefer British or American?

Larissa   Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:48 am GMT
"Americans themselves, generally speaking, do not like their accents" really? i didn't know that!
Guest   Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:49 am GMT
"Americans themselves, generally speaking, do not like their accents."

Yep, they're all flocking to adopt British and Canadian accents, so I hear.
Larissa   Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:54 am GMT
"Canadian accents" canadian accents look like american ones no? cause they pronounce "r"
Guest   Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:55 am GMT
and while you're at it, did you know 'gullible' is in only one-third of all dictionaries?
Lazar   Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:59 am GMT
<<Americans themselves, generally speaking, do not like their accents.>>

Sorry, I didn't get that memo. But I'll tell you one thing:

I, generally speaking, do not like you. *ba-da-pshhhh!*

<< In fact, research as shown that products sell better in America when the announcer has a British accent; a team of psychologists even found in their tests that American police officers were more likely to let a traffic violator with a British accent off with just a warning than one with an American accent.>>

Oh, research! Psychologists! Excuse me, waiter, could I have some grains of salt with these uncited assertions?

[My most profuse apologies for my facetiousness above.]
Mxsmanic=Brennus' love ch   Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:06 am GMT
Ginger   Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:06 am GMT
I'm new here. Could someone explain what a "troll" in a forum means?
love child   Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:07 am GMT
Spice   Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:13 am GMT
A r"toll" is the fee you have to pay to gain access to a forum.
Ginger   Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:18 am GMT
Troll, NOT toll.
Spice   Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:24 am GMT
Yeah, that's what I meant.
andre in usa   Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:41 am GMT
Brennus,

Just because Americans like British accents doesn't mean they dislike their own. That's effin' nonsense.
Kirk   Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:49 am GMT
<<Americans themselves, generally speaking, do not like their accents.>>

I can't top Lazar's message on that one ;) As with him, I also did not receive the memo.

<<In fact, research as shown that products sell better in America when the announcer has a British accent>>

Then why do only a very small percentage of ads in America have British announcers? Let's think before we post, Brennus.

<<Oh, research! Psychologists! Excuse me, waiter, could I have some grains of salt with these uncited assertions? >>

I'd personally love a salt mine full of it, myself. If we collected Brennus' uncited claims we could stock libraries chock-full of thick tomes of outlandish statements. Some of the potential titles to categorize some of the many comments:

"Who Needs Real Evidence?---The 2005 Brennus Guide to Citations"

"Debate not going so well? Non-sequitur reponses should do the trick!"

"Folk Linguistics and You--linguists discover a dazzling new way to look at language!"

"Linguistical Hearsay and You!"
andre in usa   Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:21 am GMT
<<Then why do only a very small percentage of ads in America have British announcers? Let's think before we post, Brennus.>>

I think Brennus is actually correct about products selling better when presented by a person speaking with a British accent. However, I think it has more to do with the fact that a British accent is more likely to attract the attention of the listener than an American accent, because it is different from what we're used to hearing. Makes sense, doesn't it?
scott   Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:24 am GMT
English accents are best and to be more exact Essex !