is this word Spanish or Italian?

;   Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:13 am GMT
the word is "choncito"
Skippy   Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:25 am GMT
I'd assume Spanish... I think "-ito" is a dimunitive in Spanish where the Italian equivalent would be "-ino." Although "-ito" appears in Italian, it's more frequent in Spanish.

This is just with my limited knowledge of these languages, but I'd assume Spanish.
/   Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:45 am GMT
Very clever is your name is ";" and you speak Greek. It means "piglet" in Spanish afaik. Context is always nice.
it   Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:47 am GMT
It has to be Spanish, because Italian doesn't have "ch" before "o". Ch before i or e is pronounced as /k/, whereas c is pronounced as /tS/. C before o and other vowels is pronounced as /k/.
;   Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:08 am GMT
that was somebody's username... the first word of it had to do with food :O
piglet   Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:23 am GMT
Piglet? Like in Winnie-ille-Pu?
luar   Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:02 am GMT
It's not Italian, that's for sure. The word sounds typically Spanish but I have never heard it
kutya   Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:31 am GMT
The Spanish diminutive -ITO is often equivalent to the Italian -INO or -ETTO

casita = casetta
pajarito = uccellino
Hello Chon   Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:39 am GMT
Hola Chon? .
I've seen in my dictionary that the word 'chon' comes from Dominican Republic and means: godsend.

So I guess that 'choncito' means 'little godsend'.

Hope it helps.
Leasnam   Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:56 pm GMT
<<Although "-ito" appears in Italian, it's more frequent in Spanish.
>>

<<The Spanish diminutive -ITO is often equivalent to the Italian -INO or -ETTO
>>

'-ito' in Italian is usually the past participle ending (cf "incognito"), not the diminutive ending
/   Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:16 pm GMT
I have not found the word in a dictionary, so I can't verify that "piglet" is absolutely correct. You could ask in the forums at wordreference.
Guest   Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:09 am GMT
Appart from -ito, Spanish also has many other diminutives: -ino, -in, -ico, -illo and many others.
diminutives   Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:54 am GMT
Apart from -ino - etto Italian has got many other diminutives -cino -attolo -ucolo -ettino -uccio -llino - cchiotto -occolo etc

libricino
fiumiciattolo
pochettino
caruccio
fiorellino
orsacchiotto
volpacchiotto
anatroccolo