English speakers in France

lasdf   Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:18 am GMT
How do Anglophones seem to French people when they visit French. Is it true that French people think that they sound like very old fashioned exotic foreigners and like they have a potatoe in their mouth when they try to speak French?
Invité d'honneur   Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:50 pm GMT
<<How do Anglophones seem to French people when they visit French.>>

Personally I'm familiar with their accent(s), so there is nothing particular about it for me, just the information that they are native English speakers. In the past though, I used to try to connect the peculiarities of their French pronunciation with features of their native language. That's how I noticed an American guy who would weaken every unstressed vowels like he would have done in English. That sounded odd, but i knew why he was doing it. He just didn't know that every vowel in French had to be clearly pronounced, without any form of reduction/weakening.

<<Is it true that French people think that they sound like very old fashioned exotic foreigners>>

No. Or at least I have never heard/read such comment. There is the old joke that the English do «everything backwards» though (refering to their driving on the left side of the road).

<<and like they have a potatoe in their mouth when they try to speak French? >>

Yeah, you do hear this stereotype sometimes. Though I have not heard it in years now. I think it is mainly due to the English «R's»,which sound very peculiar to a Francophone ear, and in the case of non-rhotic accents, the tendency to drop some «R's» which should all be enunciated in French.
PARISIEN   Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:51 pm GMT
<<Is it true that French people think that they sound like very old fashioned exotic foreigners>>
-- No.

<< like they have a potatoe in their mouth when they try to speak French?>>
-- Well, the known unability of many Anglophones to articulate such a simple word like "rue" make people assume that they are crippled by some sort of selective paralysis in the mouth cavity...

But — credit where credit is due — except for some British day trippers and soccer fans, and a few stereotypical Americans who cannot refrain from speaking loud as hell, Anglospheric visitors are among the most knowledgeable about France and its language.
;(   Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:02 am GMT
"a few stereotypical Americans who cannot refrain from speaking loud as hell"

Perhaps you are correct. When they helped out your grandparents or maybe parents back in the 1940s, that liberation "thang", they should have been quieter, much quieter.
ENOUGH!!!   Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:47 am GMT
<< Perhaps you are correct. When they helped out your grandparents or maybe parents back in the 1940s, that liberation "thang", they should have been quieter, much quieter. >>

Oh give me a FUCKING break already!!!
Jesus fucking christ, you guys will never ever shut the fuck up about WW2, but at the same time, you will never ever mention how the French helped your grandparents back in the 1780s, that liberation "thang"...

Fucking yankee piece of shit...

By the way, I'm Canadian and a lot of us died liberating France too, but you don't see us clogging this forum and gloating...
CANadian   Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:50 am GMT
By the way, we shouldn't be tolerant of loud and obnoxious people regardless of who they are and what country they are from.... unless you are loud and obnoxious yourself.... fucking retard
;(   Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:16 pm GMT
My grandparents were not alive in 1780, but there are still people who were alive in WWII. I haven't forgotten the help of
Lafayette either. French people who write things like that need to be reminded that being "loud" (which I am not, btw) is not the worst thing and that loud people can be kind and helpful people
Invité d'honneur   Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:41 pm GMT
<<My grandparents were not alive in 1780, but there are still people who were alive in WWII. I haven't forgotten the help of
Lafayette either. French people who write things like that need to be reminded that being "loud" (which I am not, btw) is not the worst thing and that loud people can be kind and helpful people >>

I think it is very true that being "loud" is not the worst thing and that loud people can be kind and helpful people. Exactly what in Parisien's message makes you think he desagree with you on this?
Invité d'honneur   Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:42 pm GMT
desagree -> disagrees
blank invitee   Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:37 pm GMT
Another stereotype about Americans is that they live in the past and hence have no future.

I didn't believe it could be that true.
;(   Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:40 pm GMT
I don't know if Parisien agrees or disagrees, but these kind of statements don't do much to improve Franco-American relations and I don't mean spaghetti in a can (Franco-American company).
;(   Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:41 pm GMT
People who do not know about the past may suffer in the future.
Forgotten   Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:08 pm GMT
<<Oh give me a FUCKING break already!!!
Jesus fucking christ, you guys will never ever shut the fuck up about WW2, but at the same time, you will never ever mention how the French helped your grandparents back in the 1780s, that liberation "thang"...
Fucking yankee piece of shit...
>>

Mind you, this was spoken in a quiet, hush, Canadian whisper

Go North!
CANadian   Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:16 pm GMT
;( said:

<< My grandparents were not alive in 1780, but there are still people who were alive in WWII. >>

They don't have to be alive, I was just duplicating your sentence structure to illicit a sense of sarcasm... I hope you studied that in an American school.
The fact is that the formation of the United States and its liberation from the British were not possible without the help of the French... or at least, they were greatly facilitated and significantly speeded up thanks to France.

<< but these kind of statements don't do much to improve Franco-American relations >>

Sure, and I suppose your whole "Freedom Fries" hoopla did much to improve Franco-American relations...

Here's a Québecois slang for you, look it up: Regarde-toi avant de parler!
;(   Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:34 pm GMT
I didn't participate in the Freedom Fries bashing. I am disappointed with Parisien, but I did not verbally abuse him. I cannot say the same for your unwarranted response to me. That is not slang from Quebec. It isn't slang at all. It's an old saying that you should consider for yourself.
It's said in English as well.