Imagine if Spain would join to Portugal

Real Mojca   Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:37 pm GMT
Portugal should join Brazil. Since Brazil is much richer, Portugal would be de facto a Brazilian colony. Spain will become next country where Brazil will expand, then France, etc. Until then, Brazil will be speaking in various indigenous Indian languages all of which will become official in EU and, in time, prevail over English, French and German (Spanish will be forbidden and annihilated immediately after anschluss). All of the hotels and holiday villages will be bulldozed down and rainforest will grow freely.
Guest   Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:42 pm GMT
Brasil es un país que cada año destruye buena parte de la Amazonía, asi que no creo que sea ningún ejemplo a seguir. Al menos en España le sacamos provecho a los hoteles, pero en Brasil se han cargado media Amazonía para construir una pista de tierra que no vale dos reales.
Real Madrid Mojca   Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:50 pm GMT
Es por ello que los indios se llevará el control de Brasil y de la UE, estúpido!
Guest   Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:51 pm GMT
Lo que tú digas... Pocos indios quedan ya en Brasil.
Real Mojca   Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:09 pm GMT
Pensé que este era el juego de "¿qué pasa si"?
Rui   Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:45 pm GMT
<To Beatha: of course the union would not benefit Spain. It only benefits Portugal. Indirectly they already benefit greatly from the fact that they are neighbors of Spain, a richer and more populate country. For example a high speed railway is being constructed to link Madrid and Lisbon so the Portuguese will be able to travel to Madrid to do business and to study easily and fast. >

Why would we want to go To Madrid to study or do business? I've lived in Madrid and apart from being bigger than Lisbon it has very few more things to offer than Lisbon, especially on education terms. It's not hard to find Portuguese people mastering foreign languages which is very hard to find in Madrid. The Spanish MBA's are not more recognazible than the Portuguese one's as well.
I think you should start bothering with the Basques and Catalans first instead of the Portuguese.
Guest   Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:00 am GMT
<<The Spanish MBA's are not more recognazible than the Portuguese one's as well. >>

Of course they are. IESE and ESADE are two Spanish Business Schools that are among the 10 in the world. I can't remember but one of the two is in fact the world number 1 . The difference with Portugal is notorious. I don't want to belittle Portugal, but you have a lot of work to do if you want to be like Spain and join us.
Rui   Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:18 am GMT
^^ Being on top 10 or on top 50 is not relevant, only if you look for prestige and high fees :)

Further more most MBA's in Portugal are lecture in english or partially in English and Portuguese (even in Spanish if the teacher feels more comfortable in the language), something difficult to do with Spanish students.

I'm not looking to do country vs country here, just pointing out that in the past Spain was always less developed than Portugal, and because of natural resources and easier governation one can say that should be again in the future. Will it? Who knows? Maybe not. But even if Spain remains more developed doesn't mean there should be a union, or that the Portuguese would like to join due to better economic conditions or any other reasons.
Guest   Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:01 pm GMT
in the past Spain was always less developed than Portugal

hahaha. Lo que tú digas, amigo.

IESE Business School, the graduate business school of the University of Navarra, is ranked as a top 5 business school in Europe and is renowned for its MBA and Executive MBA programs. IESE has campuses in Madrid and Barcelona.
IESE ranked as number one business school in the world based on the study of the Economist Intelligence Unit of 2005 and 2006. The ranking criteria of the Economist are (a) Open new career opportunities (35%), (b) Personal development/educational experience (35%), (c) Increase salary (20%), and (d) Potential to network (10%). [2]
rep   Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:20 pm GMT
It looks strange,when very closely related nations such as Portuguese and Spanish or Dutch and German sometimes dislike each other.
john   Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:20 pm GMT
Guys you're not gringos! Economy and richness is not all in our lives, fortunately! 2/3 of the world population is really poor and They don't even have the food to eat. the competion between Spain and Portugal is ridiculous and senseless. Shame on you, idiots!
Guest   Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:32 pm GMT
There is not dislike between Spain and Portugal, on the contrary, many Portuguese like the Nobel awarded writer Jose Saramago love Spain and want to be Spaniards.
osmius   Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:26 pm GMT
<<It looks strange,when very closely related nations such as Portuguese and Spanish or Dutch and German sometimes dislike each other. >>

Actually, neighboring countries are often bitter enemies:

Israel, Gaza/Palestine, Syria, UAR (in the past), etc.
India/Pakistan
Turkey/Kurdistan
Germany/France (in the past)
Mexico/USA
Adrian   Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:35 am GMT
From a language point of view, Spain and Portugal need to put their past hatreds behind them and forge a united front against the Chinese Mandarin juggernaut. Together Spanish and Portugese should be stronger than Mandain.
Beatha   Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:29 am GMT
I have a lot to say about Portugal. When i visited it, I saw only a nation that has much to grow and has no resources to do it. Even the former Portuguese colonies such as Brazil, are able to maintain themselves, and it seems the Brazil is doing well, so it has an index of quality of life high.

But Portugal, despite being developed, it is almost an underdeveloped country. I live in Oslo, i was born here. Here the health, transport and education systems are completely superior to the Portuguese ones. Reality is completely different. It is also well in Spain, where the services provided by the government and the economy in general, even in crisis, are better than those of Portugal.

In the item development and culture, Portugal is closer to Brazil than to Spain. And in the economic area is far from all the major countries that i know.

There are no benefits to the beautiful Spain to getta that union. Only a portion of land to manage among the many others that have tried to separate from Spain.