Which Is Like Castellano...?

Baliuwsdr   Wed May 27, 2009 8:38 pm GMT
I´ve traveled parts of Colombia and tried to catch up at least enough to try to speak a little spanish while I was there (sigh...that´s long ago)
returning to Europe, I met some Spaniards from Madrid, and when we came to talk about the languages in comparison, they expressed a weird kind of disgust concerning the Colombian Spanish, and emphasizing the entirely different used "th" sounds...it reminded me of some Frenchmen I had met, ranting about the French versus the Parisian accent.
But when I listened I could quite hear some differences between Castilian and the Colombian Spanish I had been surrounded with, although it certainly had something to do with the groups of speakers I met - I am certainly not a language expert therefore I can just talk about the feeling listening to it - the Castilian sounded much harder and more elaborate in it´s expressions, while the Colombian seemed to be way softer sounding and simpler in it´s structure, more raw, like a language that hadn´t evolved to far from it´s origin. As if you could still hear some older language within.
Om   Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:26 am GMT
Castellano = español
.guest.   Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:55 am GMT
Brazilian portuguese maybe easer than European portuguese because the vowel schwa used in European portuguese.

"Brazil is isolated in South America and it's surrounded by los hispanos. "
And Portugal is surrounded by Spain.
*sigh*   Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:06 pm GMT
SpanishRocks, did you ever care to ask where that "re" comes from? Castellano Rioplatense (aka castellano porteño (from Buenos Aires, Gran Buenos Aires & La Plata) and spanish from Montevideo/Colonia. You can't even call Argentina's Northwestern language THAT, we're getting really specific in here) has specific cultural influences too. In case you didn't know, Truco is a typical game of the region played with spanish cards which, along with mate and tango, played a huge role shaping the region's cultural identity. In Truco, the only way of raising the bet is calling for "retruco". That "re" is crucial for the development of the game (you should really spend an afternoon watching 2 Argentine play 2 Uruguayan, it's freaking HILARIOUS or having 4 Argentine play each other, it can get pretty hard core), and it has been installed in everyday language as some form of superlative. It's pretty much like saying "über", it actually does have a reason, it didn't appear out of the blue.