Which Is Like Castellano...?

Nala   Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:14 am GMT
In my class myself and other students are debating over Castellano, so I want to ask all those whom speak Spanish as their native langauges...

1. out of all the Spanish language that are spoken in Latin America, Which resembles Castellano...?

And for those who speak 2 or more Romace languages,

2. Which Romance language is closer to Castellano...?

Thanks in Advance
Hispanophile   Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:08 am GMT
CASTILIAN (or Castellano) is nothing but another name for SPANISH (or Español), the first one is a little bit more precise because it implies that the Spanish language came from the region of Castilla, Spain but that's it they're the same thing, in other words all countries in Hispanic America speak Castilian because they all speak Spanish.
Harman   Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:46 am GMT
AS Hispanophile said:

1) Castilian = Spanish, the same as English lenguage = British lenguage (England + wales+ scotland+ north ireland).

2) Brazilian portuguese is the closet to american spanish and european spanish.
I understand brazilians fairly well and i've never studied portuguese, i'm spaniard.
Well in fact galician is closet but there's only 4 million speakers and they are bilingual or trilingual spanish, portuguese and galician lenguage 'galego'.
Galego is a mix of spanish and portuguese more o less.

I hope this information will be useful to you.
Nala   Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:53 am GMT
Thank you very much Hispanophile & Harman. I must of messed up on my question, what I was trying to say by Castellano was the Spanish spoken in Spani. Also in my class we were debating that Argentinian & Colombian Spanish is more similar to the Spanish from Spain. But others said that the Colombian accent is similar to the Spanish from Spain. Anyone care to elaborate?

Thanks
Guest   Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:03 am GMT
In English Castilian means European Spanish.
CommonAswhole   Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:57 pm GMT
Español is an imperialistic name for Castillian implying the whole Iberian peninsula (Hispania) belongs to the Castillian people. Especially in Spain a Castillian would do best to call his language in the appropiate way.
Do I sound too PC-minded? Mayhap, but Catalonians, Basques, Galicians, etc.. all feel they are ruled by a Castillian elite that claims its identity. If you want them to call themselves Spanish, you must get rid of its current meaning.
Harman   Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:50 pm GMT
To Nala:

Listening spanish from tv i think colombia accent is closer to spain accent than argentina accent.
Beside I have heard colombian spanish is the best spanish, better than spain spanish, more cult, more pure, less slang lenguage. I'm from spain anyway.

I'm sure some people disagree with me, but this is my thought.
XUXA   Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:35 pm GMT
I also believe that Colombian Spanish is the most similar to Spaniard Spanish.
Guest   Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:38 pm GMT
Spaniard Spanish is not correct because Spaniard is not an adjective.
XUXA   Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:02 pm GMT
Whatever Peruvian = from Peru, hence Spaniard = from Spain, you get the idea.
Nala   Fri May 01, 2009 12:24 am GMT
Thanks alot you guys. I always thought that Argentinian Spanish is closer to Spanish from Spain. Why? because of te way they write it. for example.

1. Vos Tenes que se fuerte
2. Sos Vos el que atende a las noticias?
Guest   Fri May 01, 2009 12:38 am GMT
En español argentino sería:
Vos tenés que ser fuerte

¿Sos vos el que atendés a las noticias?

Ninguna variedad americana del español está más cerca del español castellano.
nala   Fri May 01, 2009 12:48 am GMT
¿Sos vos el que atendés a las noticias?

Significa: Eres tu el que espera las noticias? almeno que me eqivoque.
Guesto   Fri May 01, 2009 5:50 am GMT
<<Thanks alot you guys. I always thought that Argentinian Spanish is closer to Spanish from Spain. Why? because of te way they write it. for example.

1. Vos Tenes que se fuerte
2. Sos Vos el que atende a las noticias?>>

In Spain they use TU not VOS like the argentines, so they'd say:

1. Tu tienes...
2. Eres tu...
gogo   Fri May 01, 2009 12:50 pm GMT
nala, where are you from?