举 头 望 明 月,
低 头 思 故 乡。

The ninth version - my version:

Bed front bright moon light.
Might be floor atop frost.
Raise head gaze bright moon,
Droop head miss old town.
Edward Teach   Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:11 am GMT
can the chinese ever grasp that people think their poetry is a load of boring shit?
Amoeba   Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:25 am GMT
<<can the chinese ever grasp that people think their poetry is a load of boring shit? >>

I guess they will be able to do that the day the English see that they, the English, themselves are a load of arrogant self-conceited shit.
Edward Teach   Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:28 am GMT
Dont you have some human rights to repress?
Amoeba   Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:33 am GMT
OK.

My next question:

Are the English a load of self-conceited shit?

And the next:

Is English the best language for poems because the English are such a load of self-conceited shit that they had to insist that English is the best language for poems and thus English is the best language for poems?

Till my next question.
Edward Teach   Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:38 am GMT
I dont remember making any such claim. Check again.
Seem to remember you claiming chinese was the best language for poetry though. So who is conceited again?
Wintereis   Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:38 am GMT
Shuimo, most educated westerners do not hold to a belief in Universal concepts of art. You are not going to make people thinj that Chinese is the best language for poetry, particularly with a nationalistic poem like the one you posted. Western people tend to be skeptical of fervent Nationalism. They have seen it go too far. Even Americans, despite Gauge`s xenophobic insinuations, tend to be leary of believing too fervently in government and patriotism-at least the majority do. Unfortunetly, some only see the fanatics on the news and then paint with broad strokes. Most of us have stated that there is no superior language for poetry. We tend toward a relativism due to a history of violence that has taught many to think that there are only personal truths when it comes to beliefs.
anti-English   Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:46 am GMT
<<Are the English a load of self-conceited shit? >>

They are, but it's not their fault, it's our fault for letting them dominate us.

<<Is English the best language for poems because the English are such a load of self-conceited shit that they had to insist that English is the best language for poems and thus English is the best language for poems? >>

Yes, and it's because we let them make such claims because we are weak and moronic. But times have changed...

Thus, I suggest linguistic war on English speaking nations! We are so far behind that the best way to beat English I believe is to sabotage it. We must get to the point where there are hopelessly more non-native speakers of English compared to native ones. At that stage we can found the "Academy of the English Language", run by non-natives, under the pretext that the natives don't have an academy themselves so why can't we make it, and besides it's a free world. Once founded, this academy will at first surreptitiously and then blatantly undermine English. It will be economically superior to anything the natives can make and hence will dominate the language. We will shred English and rip it apart! The natives who become upset will be like a 100 to 1 battle! Natives will see their perfectly grammatical sentences suddenly declared "incorrect" and "a hideous abuse of the English Language (TM)". Eventually, new legislation will be passed forbidding original English (because it could cause life threatening misunderstandings, and for efficiency), and then, after a serious catastrophe caused by misunderstanding , taking millions of lives (mostly natives), we will ban original English on pain of death.
Amoeba   Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:54 am GMT
OK

My next question:

Is it true to say that

when someone claims that English is the best language for poems, then he is humbly right.

and when someone claims that Chinese is the best language for poems, then he is conceited and needs to repress some human rights?

Till my next question.
Edward Teach   Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:00 am GMT
Show me where I said English is the best language for poems.
I never made that claim.
I merely objected to your blatant bias in favour of your own language.
Wintereis   Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:25 am GMT
OK. Here is an ekphrastic poem by John Ashbery. A great poem, but it can be a bit difficult. http://www.poemhunter.com%2Fpoem%2Fself-portrait-in-a-convex-mirror%2F&hl=en&source=m I cant tell if the link is good here, but you can get it by googling "self portrait in a convex mirror" if it is not.
Amoeba   Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:03 am GMT
Did I ever show any so-called blatant bias in favor of my own language?
Edward Teach   Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:11 am GMT
Did I?
Since you were the first to make this accusation, then be the first to back it up.
The fact is mate, that because you guys are brainwashed nationalists any discussion with you is doomed to failure.
Have fun been controlled for the rest of your life.
Amoeba   Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:14 am GMT
To Edward Teach:

...the one making accusation?
...brainwashed nationalists?
...controlled for the rest of my life?

Now, who is the one who can't refrain from making wild accusations? Go and take a look in the mirror!

<<Have fun been controlled for the rest of your life.>>

This proves how English sucks, doesn't it? Even a native speaker fails to understand English grammar. 'Have fun been controlled...' - what the hell is that? New English grammar?

Seriouly, the saddest thing about learning English is that when we start to understand English better, we begin to see more clearly that this is a language spoken by a bunch of aggressive, arrogant, conceited, xenophobic, self-centered, narrow-minded....racists!

It can be such an agony to have wasted so much time and effort on learning English and finally come to realise this cruel fact.
Edward Teach   Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:26 am GMT
"The english are are a load of self-conceited shit"

Thats not a racially divisive statement at all, is it?
Face it mate, you are a hypocrite.
I will wager you have never set foot out of your home country.
It is much easier for you to cower at home and claim the rest of the world is inferior so that you dont feel you are missing anything.

I'm a racist you say? Hope you dont tell my wife, she is Asian.