UN accent

matko   Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:19 pm GMT
Hi,

I'm from Croatia and I've got some cousins living in Australia. When I speak with them, they say I have the, so called, UN accent. What is it?
Can somebody explain it? Is the phonology of that accent closer to AmE or to BrE?
Thanks!
Pedro   Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:25 pm GMT
UN as in United nations? What the hell is that UN accent?
B   Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:46 pm GMT
I don't know. It depends on how good your accent is. If it's really good, then they probably meant that you have a native sounding trans-Atlantic accent. Otherwise they might mean that you have a near-native foreign accent that sounds like an official from the UN might have.
matko   Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm GMT
Since I lived in Sydney and now I live in Croatia, my accent is really weird. I'd call it a hybrid one. It's a mixture between Australian, British and American. Depends on people I'm talking to.
longuebaguette   Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:50 pm GMT
Your written English is broken...
.   Fri May 01, 2009 12:42 am GMT
I think that last comment is unfair! (and insulting)
B   Fri May 01, 2009 2:10 am GMT
Then that pretty much explains it. A trans-Atlantic accent is how someone would speak that was from the middle of the Atlantic ocean half-way between Britain and North America
fsakljg   Fri May 01, 2009 8:19 am GMT
"Your written English is broken..."

How is his written English broken? I can't find any mistakes.
matko   Fri May 01, 2009 12:53 pm GMT
thank you fsakljg :)

and thanks for an explanation.
Qrious   Fri May 01, 2009 1:49 pm GMT
<<How is his written English broken? I can't find any mistakes. >>

"Depends on people I'm talking to."

Is this acceptable grammar?
matko   Sat May 02, 2009 10:08 am GMT
I never said my English was perfect so it's not very polite to talk and discuss about my foreign languages. If you learn to speak Croatian fluently without any mistakes, I'll congratulate you, till then, shut up!
Qrious   Sat May 02, 2009 12:08 pm GMT
So I must waste a ton of time learning an unimportant language before I can say anything about your broken English? Get real dude!
Kin   Sat May 02, 2009 1:08 pm GMT
''Dude'' is not proper English. It's Yankee slang.
duude   Sat May 02, 2009 1:46 pm GMT
"Yankee" is not proper English. It's Southern slang for Northerners. And no, it cannot be used to refer to Californians. Unless you want people to think you are an idiot.
Komat   Sat May 02, 2009 2:02 pm GMT
Yes, "Idiot" is proper English used to refer to all native speakers of English all over the world.