English Novels set in 17th and early 18th centuries.

Georgina   Mon May 04, 2009 4:48 am GMT
Specifically, I would very much enjoy reading about high society. My favorite book so far has been Vanity Fair. I would appreciate all the appropriate suggestions.
Druscilla   Mon May 04, 2009 4:54 am GMT
Pride and Prejudice is my favourite.
Priscilla   Mon May 04, 2009 4:55 am GMT
I have nothing to say. I just wanted to post with a silly name. He-he!
Wintereis   Mon May 04, 2009 5:43 am GMT
Pride and Prejedice is early 19th century. These are not like VF, but fit your specifications: Joseph Andrews by Fielding aod Castle Rackrent by Maria Edgeworth. But honestly, in my opinion, you would do better with Austin and the three Bronte sisters who are, as I indicated, 19th century. Also, A Room With a View by Forster and Daisy Miller and The Portrait of a Laidy by Henry James may do for for you if you are after the particular snobish elements of VF. Bv the females in all these books are very upright and honorable. If you want the fall into decadence you may like The House of Myrth which I think is by Wharton. But last and not least, I know you will want to read The Story of O and The Tropic of Cancer ( - ;
Georgina   Mon May 04, 2009 5:48 am GMT
Please forgive me, I meant to say 18th and early 19th century novels.

Wintereis, thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely explore them at my library. I have read The Story of O. ;)
Stangeneis   Mon May 04, 2009 9:51 am GMT
Pride and Prejudice is a novel by Jane Austen. First published on 28 January 1813

Not "Pride and Prejedice". I have noticed some other strange spelling mistakes by Winter Ice.

In particular on another post: suaject instead of subject. I find that a really odd mistake. So odd in fact, that I did not need to look it up.

So where does the Winter eis name come from?

Crushed Eis = Crushed Ice

Eiswürfel = Icecubes

Stangeneis = Blockice

Eisskulpturen = Icesculptures

Winterfeis

MySpace.com - Travis - 28 - Male - Lincoln, Nebraska - www.myspace ...

Favourite books:

The Character of Rain: Amelie Nothomb:

The Compass Flower: Poems: WS Merwin

Atlantis: Poems by, by Mark Doty

Dark Fields of the Republic: Poems, 1991-1995: Adrienne Cecile Rich

Brink Road: Poems by A. R. Ammons

Everything's Illuminated, Jonathan Safran Foer;

Orlando, Virginia Wolf;

Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte;

Still Life with Woodpecker, Tom Robbins;

The Front Runner, Patricia Nell Warren;

White Noise, Don DeLillo;

The Order of Things, Michel Foucault;

The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho;

The Charioteer, Mary Renault.
DT   Mon May 04, 2009 10:47 am GMT
Ah, good detective work Stangeneis.
Wintereis   Mon May 04, 2009 7:54 pm GMT
Damian, if you wanted to know more about me, all you had to do was ask. I hope you were satisfied in finding that there is not one thing that I have written on here about myself that was untrue. I have always been candid about who and what I am. I have no reason not to. I am also glad to have shown you that I am a well read person with many interests. Im sure you were looking for something a little more juicy or condemning that what you found, I hope you weren't too disappointed when you read about me:

I’ve found that most people have a specific thing that motivates them. For some people its family, for others its money or religion. I genuinely love knowledge. I’m constantly reading and exploring new interests. Other than that, I’m pretty laidback and go with the flow. Drama and I do not get along very well. So if you have it, keep moving. Anyway, despite a set back or two, I consider myself accomplished. I’ve worked for one of the largest human rights organizations; been an editor for one of the most prestigious literary journals in the country; and, while at the University Press, was able to exact some revenge against professors when editing their essays. As far as pastimes and hobbies, I'm a writer and an artist. I love the outdoors and spend as much time in it as I can.

And about my interests:

Philosophy, Poetry, Geology, Linguistics, Mountains, Hiking/Camping, sexology, Political Activism, Punk, Jazz, Blues, Folk, Opera etc.

I'm sure the thing that thwarted your desire to pass me of as uneducated the most was the long list of quotes I have under the Heroes section:

"The Species that resembles the human heart, and for that reason is named Anthropocardite . . . is worthy of particular attention. Its substance is flint inside-- Jean-Baptiste Robinet

"We now know that almost all the atoms that make up our bodies, the bodies of our organic and inorganic companions on Earth, and the Earth itself were created in the core of stars" -- Rise Kaufman

“We are at heart so profoundly anarchistic that the only form of state we can imagine living in is Utopian; and so cynical that the only Utopia we can believe in is authoritarian.” Lionel Trilling

"No government has the right to tell its citizens when or whom to love. The only queer people are those who don't love anybody." ~Rita Mae Brown, speech, 28 August 1982

“We must always seek to ally ourselves with that part of the enemy that knows what is right”—Mahatma Gandhi

"The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental or spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest."
John Stuart Mill

Though, It may have been my blog that demonstrated that, despite the fact that I am not the greatest speller in the world, I am still intelligent. With its link to a lecture by the American philosopher Nome Chomsky; Charlie Chaplin's speech from "The Great Dictator", poems by Rumi, excerpts from Foucault's "Discipline and Punish", an essay on the homoerotic passaged from Melville's "Moby Dick" and even some of my own poetry, I am sure you were greatly vexed. (here is a bit of it)

A Stereoscopic Scripture

I prefer to utter myself from
arroyos spelling out the spring
rains in sage and dessert sand

but on the lake, waves have
frozen to the shore and on the
hill, waves have frozen in the
stone, and the world is humming
itself at last like some embodied

tomb. The sea is skeletal, bleached
and bone dry. Sunlight breaks
and scatters from salt spray,
prismatic as a fire shore, and there
are shadows that splay the light.

They pass like hallucinogens
on your tongue or light-images
transposed on your mind with
idioms of chroma and shadow.

I have breathed out the frozen air
which picks at the morning.
And what does this frost speak
to your eyes except that it was
stolen from something within you?

I have since privatized the most personal information on my Myspace account. I don't want to risk my friends security or my own, but anyone may view the general information on the page. I doubt they will find it all that interesting, however.

Now, how is it that I know it was you that decided to post my personal information on Antimoon? Well, you give it away. The simplest deductive reasoning shows this. You cite my misspelling of subject as suaject. I did this in a post where I was deriding you for your rather unenlightened ideas about Feminism. I only wish you had not been so cowardly as to attempt to disguise who you were by using an unfamiliar pseudonym to post. I cannot prove it was you, Damien, but there is little doubt in my mind. And really, I do not care so much what you disclose about me on here. I just find it to be incredibly infantile and serves to discredit you and harm your image more than my own. I have never claimed to be a great speller. I have always hated it seince I was a child taking those tests. I tend to hold with Mark Twain's philosophy on the subject:

http://www.twainquotes.com/Spelling.html
Wintereis   Mon May 04, 2009 8:21 pm GMT
DamiAn London SW15   Mon May 04, 2009 9:00 pm GMT
Wintereis...

I assume you directed your last posting at me....DamiAn, the Scottish guy from Edinburgh, currently "exiled" here in London. I have let pass uncorrected all references made by you to DamiEn....I am so used to having my name mis-spelled constantly (and it is my real, genuine name and the ONLY name under which I post in this Forum, let me assure you on that one!) This is my first posting in this Forum since late Friday or early Saturday last...I can't be sure which one without checking back and I haven't got the time to do that right of this moment in time.

I was taken aback by your posting above in which you more or less accuse me of posting under a pseudonym....Strangeneis and maybe also DT in this case. This is where things can get pretty hairy in an open Forum like Antimoon with no check or guarantee whatsoever of the true identity of any poster, so I simply have no option but to tell you that I have no idea who this character Stranegneis and maybe also DT are, and most certainly neither one is me. You will have to accept my word on that one.

I wouldn't dream of making any adverse comments about you personally, or about your style of posting, and neither would I pass remarks such as those my by the above named individuals.

I wish I had more time right now to chat about this issue as I have a friend waiting for me to go out to a bit of a party locally (it's been a public holiday for May Day here in the UK today) but hopefully I will try to comment further sometime tomorrow Tuesday. It's now almost 22:00hrs Monday 04/05, but I read with interest all the rather personal information you have given in here, Wintereis. I more or less guessed the meaning of your name in here! It was hardly rocket science fathoming it out!

Cheers for now from London. Must go!!!!
MrPedantic   Mon May 04, 2009 9:45 pm GMT
<I would very much enjoy reading about high society>

I'm not sure the English novelists have particularly excelled, in that kind of subject matter. You might do better with Les Liaisons dangereuses; or Le Rouge et le Noir; or some of the novels of Balzac.

MrP
Georgina   Mon May 04, 2009 10:27 pm GMT
I absolutely adore "Les liaisons dangereuses"! I'm actually in the process of learning French so that one day I could read it in the original. What novel of Balzac would you suggest? I always had an impression that he was that guy whose books were filled with endless and detailed descriptions of inanimate objects...
MrPedantic   Mon May 04, 2009 10:54 pm GMT
That is a very sound reason for learning French.

I wouldn't say there was very much inanimate description in Balzac. If you started with Le Père Goriot, which is quite short, and found it amenable, you could go on to Illusions perdues and Splendeurs et misères des courtisanes, which aren't. (But don't be put off by their length; there's a lot of talk, and it mostly passes quite quickly.)

Best wishes,

MrP
Guest   Mon May 04, 2009 11:01 pm GMT
Damian is innocent!
Wintereis   Tue May 05, 2009 12:52 am GMT
What ever. It`s not important. If you didn`t do it Damian, I am sorry. You seem like the most likely culprit given the situation. If you did do it, or to who ever did, I would ask that you not disclose any information about me without my giving you leave to do so. It is very rude and is not your place. I dont care if you know what City I live in, my age, etc. but it is mine to tell or not tell people who I am.