language with most consonants,

jobless   Mon May 04, 2009 5:28 am GMT
I like the sound of large amounts of consonants and plan to learn the one with the most, however it must be a language which is 'learnable' practical-wise. For example, I know there are some obscure languages in Africa or the Caucasus which they always quote in record books, but these languages would be impossible to study due to lack of speakers and resources. I am looking for a language with at least 5 million speakers and in healthy condition. What would you recommend?
eeuuian   Mon May 04, 2009 10:19 am GMT
Russian, German?
jobless   Mon May 04, 2009 10:51 am GMT
Also, the sharper the consonants the better, for example, I don't want boring consonants like 'm' or 'l', I want harsh ones like 'k', 'sh/zh combinations', 't' and lots of throaty sounds like Spanish 'j'.
...   Mon May 04, 2009 11:21 am GMT
<<and lots of throaty sounds like Spanish 'j'. >>

Dutch, Hebrew?
Mallorquí   Mon May 04, 2009 11:35 am GMT
Per mi la llengua europea amb més fonemes consonàntics és el txec. Almenys és el que em diuen una amics meus de Praga.

Vejau la Wikipedia, amb aquest bell exemple de frase consonàntica:

Strč prst skrz krk
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Strč prst skrz krk ( listen (help·info)) is a Czech and Slovak tongue-twister meaning "stick your finger through your throat".

The sentence is well known for having a total absence of vowels, the nucleus of each syllable being a syllabic r, a common feature amongst many Slavic languages. It is often used as an example of such a phrase when learning Czech as a foreign language. Sometimes in the Czech Republic and Slovakia, the phrase is used to judge whether or not a particular person is drunk.

The phrase is also the subtitle of the Swiss newspaper La Distinction. [1]

There is an even longer phrase with no vowels in Czech language: "Prd krt skrz drn, zprv zhlt hrst zrn" ("A mole broke wind through a piece of turf, having swallowed a handful of grains"), though it relies on irregular and obsolete forms, whereas Strč prst skrz krk does not.
corrado   Mon May 04, 2009 12:08 pm GMT
Arabic of course! Even though it's got lots of guttural consonants it sounds so melodious unlike Slavonic languages for instance.
italian   Mon May 04, 2009 2:11 pm GMT
sbagliare eew
Guest   Mon May 04, 2009 2:17 pm GMT
En mi opinión los sonidos guturales son bonitos o feos según la lengua. En árabe resultan horripilantes, pero en alemán son de lo más elegante. También en francés resultan curiosas esas R guturales.
matko   Mon May 04, 2009 10:35 pm GMT
Polish is an ideal language for you.

Just take a look at this text below:
"Pochodzenie nazwy Polska nie jest jednoznaczne. Według jednej z teorii nazwa ta wywodzi się od plemienia Polan, zamieszkującego tereny obecnej Wielkopolski. Słowo Polanie zaś wywodzone jest od słowa pole, w związku albo z rolnictwem jako głównym zajęciem plemienia, albo zamieszkiwaniem przez nich niezalesionych terenów (w odróżnieniu od innych plemion, np. Wiślan czy Mazowszan). Istnieją jednak historycy (np. Przemysław Urbańczyk i Zofia Kuratowska), którzy kwestionują samo istnienie Polan, którzy w najdawniejszych zabytkach piśmiennictwa nie występują, a pojawiają się dopiero ok. roku 1000."

It's impossible to pronounce this language correctly. Even Slavs are dealing some problems with its pronunciation.

Still, many non-Slavs would tell you that Russian is harsh...there is no Slav that will confirm you this theory because Russian is a very simple language. I'd put it in the same group with Macedonian. The only difference between those two languages is the possession of a declension (Russian) and bunch of tenses and the articles (Macedonian+Bulgarian)

In Russian there are no tenses except the basic ones, the irregularity in the case declensions is very rare, no palatalization, assibilation changes, no assimilation, coarticulation, no vowel harmony, apophony, no three reflexions of "yat", no unstable "a" and "e" etc... These features I've written above are ALL present in Croatian, some of them are present in Czech, Polish, Slovak and Slovenian. Russian lacks of the verb "to be" and some other useful verbs.
Croatian has two forms of the verb "to be" and "to will": the tonic and atonic one. (BITI: ja sam, ti si, on je, etc. AND ja jesam, ti jesi, on jest...HTJETI: ja ću, ti ćeš, on će vs. ja hoću, ti hoćeš, on hoće...)
The only difficult thing in Russian is the accent. The accent is dynamic, but, unfortunately it's not the only one among Slavonic languages. The accents may fall on any syllable in Slovenian, Croatian, Bulgarian and Serbian as well.
matko again   Tue May 05, 2009 7:44 pm GMT
Even though Portuguese looks like a simple language when one reads it, when it's spoken (I refer to European Portuguese), it's full of clusters.
CommonAswhole   Tue May 05, 2009 8:17 pm GMT
Some Khoisan San-language perhaps?
Ana   Tue May 05, 2009 8:27 pm GMT
I love vowels not consonants. The languages with lots of consonants sound so harsh...
Yo   Tue May 05, 2009 9:25 pm GMT
El motivo por el cual el español es tan facil de pronunciar es por que las palabras estan formadas por silabas sencillas o simples, usualmente de tipo "consonante + vocal", inclusive creo que hay una regla al respecto.

Sin embargo los idiomas germanos usualmente estan llenos de consonantes que los hacen sonar "duros" y a la vez que sean muy dificiles de pronunciar por que no hay muchas vocales entre palabras que las unas de una manera agradable al oido.
Yo   Tue May 05, 2009 9:25 pm GMT
El motivo por el cual el español es tan facil de pronunciar es por que las palabras estan formadas por silabas sencillas o simples, usualmente de tipo "consonante + vocal", inclusive creo que hay una regla al respecto.

Sin embargo los idiomas germanos usualmente estan llenos de consonantes que los hacen sonar "duros" y a la vez que sean muy dificiles de pronunciar por que no hay muchas vocales entre palabras que las unas de una manera agradable al oido.
  Tue May 05, 2009 9:34 pm GMT
estás muy equivocado porque inglés, dado que es una lengua germana, es llenísimo de las vocales y diptongos...
Y una cosa más: la lingüística no conoce el término: agradable o no al oído. Aprended esto de una buena vez! Todos...Inclusive los que se creen gran linguistas y solo escriben sobre la melodía de una y otra lengua. Qué aburridos...

No es lo mismo ser melódico que bonito!!!