Name origin?

darrel   Wed May 06, 2009 2:35 am GMT
My name is Darrel, and I've always disliked my name for sounding to plain. I just wanted to know if anybody knew its origin, and also, if it's a common name.
Lazar   Wed May 06, 2009 3:41 am GMT
darrel   Wed May 06, 2009 4:09 am GMT
Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity, what are the name origins of some of the people here in this forum?
a demotivator   Wed May 06, 2009 4:26 am GMT
"Just out of curiosity, what are the name origins of some of the people here in this forum?"

Just out of malice: this isn't a forum for talking about name origins. Get lost!
Sam   Fri May 08, 2009 3:17 am GMT
<< Just out of malice: this isn't a forum for talking about name origins. Get lost! >>

These type of questions can be very much related to languages.

<< Get LOst >>

Not practical.
Skippy   Sat May 09, 2009 4:42 pm GMT
Skippy is one who skips... Maybe a Skipper... My real name comes from a Germanic name brought to England by the Normans meaning "brave spear." Pretty cool, eh?
Gerard   Sat May 09, 2009 4:57 pm GMT
Where does my name come from?
oiuy   Sat May 09, 2009 7:34 pm GMT
gerard is talking parrot in a novel by michael chricton. that's all I know about that name
K. T.   Sat May 09, 2009 9:15 pm GMT
You don't know if your name is common or not? I think "Darrell" was a more common name for boys born in the fifties or sixties since I have encountered that name more with people who are probably in their forties and fifties in the US. Some names are more common in certain generations.
I think of Darrell in Eddie Murphy's movie "Coming to America".
Girls named Alma, Zelma, Selma may sound modern now, but those kinds of names were popular just over a hundred years ago.