Serbia and Croatia

diosa   Wed May 13, 2009 6:00 pm GMT
Will Serbia and Croatia join the European Community one day? or are their governements too nationalist and their economy too weak to allow them to join Europe?
matko   Wed May 13, 2009 6:21 pm GMT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accession_of_Croatia_to_the_European_Union

Croatia applied for European Union membership in 2003, and the European Commission recommended making it an official candidate in early 2004. Candidate country status was granted to Croatia by the European Council in mid-2004. The entry negotiations, while originally set for March 2005, began in October that year together with the screening process. Croatia is expected to join the EU in 2010,[1] but some doubt has been cast over EU enlargement following the Irish rejection of the Treaty of Lisbon in a referendum.[2]. After the Irish referendum, President Sarkozy of France and Chancellor Merkel of Germany stated in June 2008 that the EU will not expand beyond 27 states without reform of the current Treaty of Nice rules even though the treaty allows for such an enlargement. The Treaty of Lisbon would reform the EU, but is currently stalled in the ratification process and it is not known when or if it will come into force.

After Slovenia, Croatia has recovered best from the break-up of former Yugoslavia and hopes to become the second former Yugoslav republic to join the EU. It has a stable market economy, and the GDP per capita is ahead of EU member states such as Bulgaria and Romania. Croatia's membership bid has been made possible due to the reinforcement of the country's institutions, electoral reform, increases in funding for the country's Constitutional Court and Ombudsman, improvements in minority rights, and the return and integration of refugees, which facilitated the closure of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe's Croatian Mission in late 2007.

roatia's immediate accession prospects are unclear, while the French and German governments promote the view that institutional changes for more efficient decision processes are essential for further enlargement, states such as the United Kingdom and the Czech Republic argue that the existing framework is sufficient.[2]

On 5 November 2008, the European Commission's annual progress report on Croatia's candidacy was published. Enlargement commissioner Olli Rehn stated that the country should complete accession negotiations by the end of 2009, with membership following by 2011 at the latest.[12]

In 2009 it was reported that Iceland may be fast-tracked into the European Union.[13]Rehn said that "the EU prefers two countries joining at the same time rather than individually. If Iceland applies shortly and the negotiations are rapid, Croatia and Iceland could join the EU in parallel," probably in 2011. Croatia's application could be derailed due to a border dispute with Slovenia over the Bay of Piran which had earlier threatened Croatia's application with Nato which only went through after Slovenia backed down, EU has called off the next round of talks and have not given a new date "subject to positive development" in negotiations between the two countries over this issue .
True Russian   Wed May 13, 2009 7:07 pm GMT
Who cares about these two tiny European countries?
Real Shuimo   Wed May 13, 2009 7:21 pm GMT
Who cares about Russia?
Skippy   Wed May 13, 2009 7:48 pm GMT
Croatia will probably join relatively soon (2012 or so). Can't say for Serbia... Have they applied?
matko   Wed May 13, 2009 8:27 pm GMT
go to hell idiots...
Guest   Wed May 13, 2009 8:31 pm GMT
It does not make sense that Serbia joins the EU for the EU made Yugoslavia to slipt off. Also the EU are behind the independence of Kosovo.
my god!   Sat May 16, 2009 3:01 pm GMT
CROATIA IS A HORRIBLE PLACE TO LIVE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bron,

I understand what you are going through and believe me......I have exactly the same opinion. This country does not want to make any progress, they put all their energy in fighting against windmills. If they would use only 10 % of all that energy in a positive manor the economy would jump ahead, but it is a concept they don't understand.

Just recently I got a report on management in Croatia and it confirmed my thoughts I already had for many years. For those interested herewith the summary:

Roland Berger management consulting company released a study showing that Croatian companies are not proactive. The study was conducted among managers in 26 companies, covering 15 sectors, with a special focus on commerce, construction and the food industry. The figures indicate Croatia is lagging behind the rest of Central and Eastern Europe. Companies often fail to react to early indicators of a business crisis, even though they have the know-how to recognize them. The knowledge is there, concluded the study, it is just not implemented. Roland Berger Vienna office CEO Rupert Petry explains that, “41 % [of managers] react only once the strategic crisis turns into a profitability or solvency crisis, and 26 % of the polled companies react solely to a solvency crisis.” Furthermore, to assess the health of their companies, most fully rely on financial reports, which has proven to be inadequate. A mere 15 % of local companies, the lowest figure in all of Central and Eastern Europe, use solvency management. The results can be explained by the fact that approximately half of the polled companies are state owned companies.

Reading something like this makes you sad, because it proves once again that the Croatian economy will be devastated once Croatia joins the EU and when they will accept the euro. Companies and management are still living in the dark ages and with this attitude they think they can join the EU ???

I don't know how it is in Zagreb, but here in Istria the national sport is not paying bills and companies have adapted perfectly. It makes doing business in Istria next to impossible.

Just last week all our electrical tools were stolen and I cannot even go to the police ! Experience tells me that instead of arresting the two individuals who stole all our tools I will get all the inspectors of Istria inside our facility. So I have no other option than to let it go or deal with it on my own terms. I think I will opt for the last option.
And for those thinking it is not that bad................Rockwool, a multi national with factories all over the world, build a 50 million euro plant here in Istria. The plant was completed about a year ago and up until today inspectors are keeping the place closed. It seems that a wall is not exactly according to what is on the papers.
In reality it has more to do with objections from local citizens and Rockwool not willing to pay off the inspectors. Of course this is not the official story, but if you ask around Pican and PotPican they are able to explain you the exact ins and outs without a problem.

I have no idea where Croatia thinks it will be in 30 years, but I have an idea. I have seen the identical situation in the Caribbean, the island of Curacao. Massive corruption and all the energy goes into opposing any progress. At this moment the island is bankrupt and Holland has to bail them out.
I fear that Croatia will go in the same direction if they don't clean up their act. However, since the mentality of the people really sucks big time it is painfully clear that nothing will change, not now and not in the future. Only outside interference and forced change will perhaps provide the necessary progress, but I am not going to wait any longer. If I can get the business going in Spain or Italy I am out of here.
matko   Sat May 16, 2009 3:05 pm GMT
hahahahaha

proud to be Croat 8-)
Radko Kravic   Sat May 16, 2009 5:03 pm GMT
Serbia and Croatia should divide Bosnia like Germany and Russia did with Poland.
ssss   Sat May 16, 2009 5:12 pm GMT
If they divided Bosnia They would be both bombed by NATO
Ratko Mladic   Sat May 16, 2009 10:33 pm GMT
As soon as Kosovo is returned to its rightful master, Serbia can join the EU.
CommonAswhole   Sat May 16, 2009 10:40 pm GMT
When a huge war breaks out and when the NATO has to withdraw its troops, war will break out in the Balkans.
PARISIEN   Sun May 17, 2009 12:35 pm GMT
Croatia is already a part of the NATO and thus, it should not be compared to Serbia.
lamartine   Sun May 17, 2009 1:11 pm GMT
as a matter of fact both countries are ruled by ultranationlist politicians