What's your English accent like?

Samson   Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:22 pm GMT
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc//home
Sign in name: samson626626
password: 123456

I invite non-native speakers to record their voices in native tongues at the same time just to make it more fun.
My native language is Cantonese. I want to learn Japanese, French and German.

Please give me some advice.
César   Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:50 pm GMT
Kirk wrote
>>Haha, wow, Pete, you sure chose some, um, interesting things to imitate! Those were pretty funny--sounds just like a nonnative who speaks British English well and is attempting to sound American (which, I guess is exactly what you are :) ). I can't say you would've fooled me but they were funny to listen to :)<<

Hahahahahaha!! I totally agree with Kirk, man! And I must confess I did like 'em; the gangsta accent was really funny.
Roger   Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:47 pm GMT
For some reason I was not able to access my own recording by coping and pasting the Yahoo! ID and the password which is surprising. However, I could access it by typing the Yahoo! ID and the password, which is even more surprising. I was wondering if that might have been someone else’s case, either? I’m a bit technophobic by nature (this is not surprising to me). I fear that I could have done something in a wrong way. And my efforts to store the voice sample on Yahoo’s server may prove fruitless.

Therefore, feel free again to go to ttp://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc//home
In order to sign in, type the Yahoo! ID as pawelnowak1. Then type the password: starpol

The 'Daisy Hamilton' recording is stored in 'My documents' folder.

I hope this will work. You can also read a couple of lines about me in my today’s morning post you will find here a few other posts above.
Roger   Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:56 pm GMT
I dropped the 'h' in the 'http' by mistake.

Hopefully this will end my little posting saga:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc//home
In order to sign in, type the Yahoo! ID as pawelnowak1. Then type the password: starpol

Take care

Roger
Terry   Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:19 pm GMT
Pete, your accent is very English English. No trace of Spanish. And yes you were poetic in you second recording about love.

Your New York reporter had more of an English accent but it was funny still and your gansta rapper was pretty good, a little English accent in there.

You definitely get a 10 out of 10 stars for your English accent. Not the same as Ralph Fiennes :) but quite sexy nevertheless.

Have you thought about a career in acting? I've a gut feeling you'd be good at it.:)
Terry   Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:39 pm GMT
<<On Langcafe I made up an X-SAMPA/IPA tutorial for people unfamiliar with it. Here's the link--you or anyone else in learning about phonetic transcription are welcome to check it out, and if you have any further questions feel free to ask.>>

I liked to your tutorial which is very well done BTW. My first thought was, "I might just as well try to learn Greek!" then I read, "The letters chosen for the IPA are generally drawn from the Latin and Greek alphabets..." Of course, and with my lack of language abillity, this could take awhile.:)
Guest   Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:43 pm GMT
<<In order to sign in, type the Yahoo! ID as pawelnowak1. Then type the password: starpol >>

Roger, I linked fine but I couldn't get your files to play. Sorry. Maybe I'll try again later.
Terry   Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:52 pm GMT
The above Guest is me.
Terry   Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:01 pm GMT
<<I invite non-native speakers to record their voices in native tongues at the same time just to make it more fun.
My native language is Cantonese. I want to learn Japanese, French and German.

Please give me some advice. >>

Samson, I listened to both of your files. Your Enlish is good. I understand it. I see how your native tongue affects your accent though. You sound in some instances as if you're talking with a lisp. "Samson" sounded a bit like "Shamshon." You pronounced "resemblance" as "resembrance" so the letter combination of "bl" must be difficult for you as well. I'd work on those two things. Other than that it was fine.

If I didn't make that clear enough, feel free to ask. Or better yet get Kirk or Pete to record the proper pronunciation of those words for you and practice it.

I notice you said, "you guys," very American. Anyone who knows the odd little ways we express ourselves, I'd say knows the language well.:)
Kirk   Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:02 pm GMT
<<Thanks Kirk! What are some of the characteristics that you've found in their accents? and I hope you can tell me more about the conversation partner thing as I'm thinking about visiting the US sometime this winter (for the first time in my life!) >>

Well there are lots of interesting things going on in a thick Japanese accent when speaking English, such as using mostly Japanese vowels, adding "u" to break up consonant clusters, not distinguishing between /l/ and /r\/, etc.

<<I liked to your tutorial which is very well done BTW. My first thought was, "I might just as well try to learn Greek!" then I read, "The letters chosen for the IPA are generally drawn from the Latin and Greek alphabets..." Of course, and with my lack of language abillity, this could take awhile.:)>>

Haha, I'm sure you'll do fine, and glad you liked the tutorial :) --one of the convenient things about IPA for people who already know the Latin alphabet (such as English speakers) is that probably more than half the symbols are the same as in the Latin alphabet or are some modified form of the basic symbol. It already gives you a great advantage compared to learning completely new symbols, which truly would be daunting ;)
Terry   Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:15 pm GMT
If you say so. :) You have more faith in my abilities than I do but I must give it try.
Samson   Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:16 am GMT
Terry, thanks a lot.
I will work on it.
Pete   Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:58 am GMT
>>Haha, wow, Pete, you sure chose some, um, interesting things to imitate! Those were pretty funny--sounds just like a nonnative who speaks British English well and is attempting to sound American (which, I guess is exactly what you are :) ). I can't say you would've fooled me but they were funny to listen to :)<<

>>Hahahahahaha!! I totally agree with Kirk, man! And I must confess I did like 'em; the gangsta accent was really funny.<<

Yes!! that was the idea, mate! I made a fool of myself recording those shits just to show you friendship :).

>>Your New York reporter had more of an English accent but it was funny still...<<

Oh well, I never really thought I would be able to fake an American accent very well. But I tried ;)

>> ...and your gansta rapper was pretty good, a little English accent in there.<<

Hahahaha, you can't even imagine how I laughed when recording that. And it gets even better and better... A gangsta rapper with a little bit of an English accent is a terrifying thing, I think. hehehe.

>>You definitely get a 10 out of 10 stars for your English accent. Not the same as Ralph Fiennes :) but quite sexy nevertheless.<<

Well, thank you very much! Then I've just decided not to pick up Ralph's accent, mine is OK. Clear, nice and also sexy, LOL
Terry   Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:38 pm GMT
<<Well, thank you very much! Then I've just decided not to pick up Ralph's accent, mine is OK. Clear, nice and also sexy, LOL >>

Who could ask for more!:)
Guest   Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:02 am GMT
<<Roger, I linked fine but I couldn't get your files to play. Sorry. Maybe I'll try again later. >>

Terry,

I went to my recording of Daisy Hamilton and was able to download, hear and re-hear it. If your efforts to get the file prove to be continually fruitless, I think I’ll move the recording to another site. I’ve been thinking about the uploadhunt. Hope this one will work better.

Take care

Roger

P.S.

Or perhaps I’ll make a new recording.