non-native expression adopted by natives?

glorified fool   Sat May 30, 2009 3:14 am GMT
Are there any expressions in English which were originally incorrect but that due to non-native speakers frequent using them came to be used by natives too?

I thought that the expression "how do you mean?" might be one, because I have heard some natives correct this, but others have used it themselves. Most natives would use "what do you mean?". I could be wrong though, I don't know the origin of this phrase.
CID   Sat May 30, 2009 3:31 am GMT
Yes!

"no can-do"
"me likey"/"me so horny"
"how goes it?"
"handbook" ;)
"pidgin [English]"
cnalbumin   Sat May 30, 2009 4:44 am GMT
"long time, no see"

"no tickee, no shirtee"
Travis   Sat May 30, 2009 5:36 am GMT
"come with" without a prepositional object, from German "mitkommen", Norwegian "komma med", etc.
Super Korean   Sat May 30, 2009 8:41 am GMT
"Me like it!"

Here in Korea, many native English speakers say "hand phone" instead of saying "cell phone" or "mobile phone".

Also, many native speakers say "air-con" for "air conditioner" or "a/c".
Johnny   Sat May 30, 2009 10:03 am GMT
<<Are there any expressions in English which were originally incorrect but that due to non-native speakers frequent using them came to be used by natives too?>>

I don't think so, unless it's just used humorously.
Robin Michael   Sat May 30, 2009 4:50 pm GMT
It was recently suggested to me that 'Sauerkraut' (an imported word) shoulod be replaced with 'Sour Cabbage'.

However as 'Sauerkraut' is an imported food, it seems quite reasonable to use an imported word.

A similar example is the word 'Kaput' meaning 'U.S.'

Useless: 1. (slang) Out of order; not working; broken.
glorified fool   Sat May 30, 2009 10:17 pm GMT
<<It was recently suggested to me that 'Sauerkraut' (an imported word) shoulod be replaced with 'Sour Cabbage'. >>

That's just a loan word, there are thousands of those. We're talking about calques from other languages used by non-native speakers which are adopted by natives too.
So far it seems most of them are simple one liners like "no can do" used in a non serous manner.
Hmmm, I think there could be more though, especially from back in the days when French was influencing English. English adopted thousands of French words, but did it adopt any French expressions or grammatical structures?
Trimac20   Sun May 31, 2009 6:21 pm GMT
'No can do', I believe was probably a lazy Americanism/colloqualism (perhaps from some movie even?) which merely sounds foreign. Saying 'me so horny' or 'me so anything' is probably just someone trying to sound dumb or childlike. Few would use that in seriously conversation.

Many phrases from AAVE which aren't totally grammatically correct have infiltrated standard English vernacular.
DudeWhoKnows   Sun May 31, 2009 10:25 pm GMT
How about "All your base are belong to us"?
12345   Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:00 pm GMT
«Travis Sat May 30, 2009 5:36 am GMT
"come with" without a prepositional object, from German "mitkommen", Norwegian "komma med", etc. »

Perhaps all Germanic languages have this phenomenon except standard English?
It also exists in Dutch: Meekomen! And I think Swedish and Danish are no exception.
Travis   Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:04 pm GMT
I think that is so - I just listed German and Norwegian as they are the Germanic languages other than English that have had the most influence in the US (even though other Germanic languages have been spoken in parts of the US, such as Dutch and East Low German in the form of Plautdietsch),
Travis   Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:12 pm GMT
Out of all of these, though, the thing that makes forms like objectless "come with", "take with", "bring with" and like is that they seem to have been fully nativized in the dialects in which they are used - they do not seem to be consciously foreign in origin for most of those who use them. This is less so than even "yah", which seems much more heavily tied to a Germanic immigrant identity in many areas such as Minnesota (even though it seems like many here in Milwaukee do not even realize that it is a distinct word from "yeah").
Leasnam   Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:33 pm GMT
<<We're talking about calques from other languages used by non-native speakers which are adopted by natives too. >>

Not necessarily calque loans--foreigners who use English incorrectly, but whose incorrect English expressions get picked up by mainstream English.

<<Hmmm, I think there could be more though, especially from back in the days when French was influencing English. English adopted thousands of French words, but did it adopt any French expressions or grammatical structures? >>

French was never influencing English (not in any active way). Rather, influential English writers were fancying slipping French words and expressions into their English is how it actually went (--passively).

French did not make any impact of English grammatically.