Barack Obama and Urdu Poets

K. T.   Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:15 pm GMT
Mr. Obama's linguistic acheivements are interesting. He knows some Arabic (not saying he is fluent) as demonstrated to NK, the writer. He speaks some Indonesian, made an ad in Spanish (maybe just speaking it like an actor), says a word in French or Spanish once in awhile and claimed truthfully that his German is not as good as that of Angela Merkel.

Recently I read that he is a fan of the Urdu poets.What about Urdu poetry? Does he read it in the original language? Is Urdu poetry something that can be appreciated in translation?

I've noticed that some poetry translates well (German, for example), while other poetry loses some beauty when the original sounds are stripped away (poetry in Mandarin, for example, which sounds great and has beautiful characters to boot!)

If he reads it in the original, I will be impressed and wondering what other linguistic secrets he hasn't shared...yet.
Guest   Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:24 pm GMT
En mi opinión leer poesía traducida pierde toda la gracia. A menos que sepas Hurdu, ¿como es posible apreciar la poesía en Hurdu? La rima se pierde al hacer la traducción, por lo tanto no es muy interesante que digamos leer poesía en hurdu traducida al inglés.
Person   Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:29 pm GMT
Obama is monolingual, he has admitted it himself. What linguistic achievements?
K. T.   Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:27 pm GMT
"¿como es posible apreciar la poesía en Hurdu? La rima se pierde al hacer la traducción, por lo tanto no es muy interesante que digamos leer poesía en hurdu traducida al inglés."

Essentially, this is my question. I don't know what makes poetry in Urdu, poetry. I think Neruda, Pushkin and Goethe are recognized in the English-speaking world in part because some of their greatness survives in translation.

I know that we have a lot of visitors from India and some from Pakistan so perhaps they would be able to discuss what topics in Urdu poetry would interest Barack Obama. Thanks for writing in Spanish, btw. I enjoy it when people write in different languages here-it opens up the discussion more.

About BO:

I don't think he is completely monolingual. He may be semi-lingual in some languages such as Indonesian. I watch for news items about this kind of thing because I'm interested in languages and because he was encouraging people to learn (especially) Spanish during the campaign.
yummy   Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:32 am GMT
Even if he is "semi-lingual" that is not a great accomplishment. It is insignificant. Anyone could make a video in Spanish if they had an incentive, ie to increase their chances of becoming the most powerful person in the world.
K. T.   Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:44 am GMT
As a language issue, though, I wonder how he is able to appreciate the great Urdu poets. Does he know Urdu or does he have a passing acquaintance through a introduction by his Pakistani friends during his university days?
Guest   Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:16 am GMT
Lots of people read poetry in translation. Poetry is not that difficult to translate, unless the poetry is based on wordplay. If it is based on emotion and feeling however, it can be quite manageable to capture the same effect in another language.
Skippy   Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:45 am GMT
He's monolingual. He himself has admitted so.

With regard to Urdu, it probably had some passing or random significance, or he is just playing to the Pakistanis.
K. t.   Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:29 pm GMT
I wondered about that as well, Skippy. However, making such a statement in public could generate requests for the names of specific poets or poems. I read that "Urdu" poets doesn't necessarily mean poetry in Urdu nor does it mean that the poet is Pakistani. The poet could be Indian.

Knowing what he reads could be interesting.
Guest   Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:51 pm GMT
K. T.   Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:06 pm GMT
I'm sure my question would not make it for interest, but thanks for mentioning it.
Guest   Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:25 pm GMT
I knew you'd be like that.
I should've added: go there or be square. lol
reality check   Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:12 pm GMT
<<
I've noticed that some poetry translates well (German, for example), while other poetry loses some beauty when the original sounds are stripped away (poetry in Mandarin, for example, which sounds great and has beautiful characters to boot!) >>

Actually, unless you are a native speaker or speak the language extraordinarily well it will definitely be better to read a translation. Even if a lot is lost, consider how much will be lost if you attempt to read it in a foreign language. Only a native speaker will be able to fully appreciate the poem in the original language (at least in the way intended by the author), so one is best off reading a translation.
urdu speaker   Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 pm GMT
I am an urdu speaker. I simply dont understand urdu poetry. The langauge is extremely figurative and it has to be translated in simple urdu otherwise it will go over one'shead. All great poets like Asad Ullah Khan Ghalib, Mir Taqi Mir, Mir Dard were indians. Urdu poetry is awesome and very inspirational if you can understand it. It does not lose its beauty if translated.

I'd loveto know the names of his favorite poets. That'd give me an idea about his mental state as a person.
urdu speaker   Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:26 pm GMT
I am a native speaker of urdu. It is true that if urdu poems are translated, will loose their depth in meanings and beauty. However, there are few very famous poets i.e Mir Taqi Mir, who have used very simple words in their poems and if these poems are translated, should not loose their richness and beauty.