what are the practical steps to speak english fluently

Pravi   Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:55 pm GMT
Leena,
Which part of the world are you from?
Boy   Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:02 pm GMT
Leena, I'm very surprized to see that Saudis can get American movies in their country inspite of the fact that they have the strictest Islamic laws put into place unlike some other muslim countries.

Leena, nowadays I'm not devoting too much time to the forum as I have been busy in my university application process for American universities like 'University of California, Long Beach' and 'University of Texas'.
Wish me good luck for my future endeavours. My local univ classes are also gonna kick off by the mid of January next year. So I'm going to be dead busy, anyway. The university enviornment will be totally different for me. So I'm quite excited about it...

Leena, I don't know if my English is very good or not but I am learning it on my own. All I can do is, I can share my experiences with you. Don't take my tips for sure, but that's how I have been learning the language for two and a half years. Let me share everything right from the beginning. A very old woman asked me time in English and I couldn't answer to her and I had felt very embarrassed myself at that particular instance. Later, oneday, my father was asking me to translate directions/instructions of a test paper to him and I couldn't translate them because I was a zero beginner and my vocabulary was next to none.
You see, that was the level of my English, but remember [things happen for some reason]. From there on, I promised myself that I'd learn the language all by myself without any help of teachers. Next day I went straight to a local book market and had bought a murder novel which was written by an American author. It was an old novel, but not very boring at all. I had come across almost 200 new words and expressions. I had looked them all in my dictionary. It took me a couple of months to look them all. This was my break through point. My confidence level went up from there and I had started reading news artcles on the net slow and steady. I made a point myself that I would not read the next article until I had looked all new words up in online dictionaries. I used to read articles on a regular basis for two hours and I had kept this habbit for months.

Once I had gained a small portion of English in my head then I started writing emails with a couple of English pals and tried to incorpoarte newly-acquired vocabulary while writing. Meanwhile, I watched English programmes on cable channels, for example, Jerry Springer show and American Idol used to be my favorite shows. Also, news channels. Initially, it was very hard to understand each and every word of native speakers but I kept listening on a regular basis. Now I can pretty much understand native speakers without facing any hassles.

Plus, I studied some American slang and idioms in my free time but not on a regular basis though. I bought some American movies and learning slang and idioms had helped me understand the American movies to some extent. With every little success made me a motivated learner at the end of the day. I enjoyed reading and watching stuff in English. Now I feel good and am still learning.

For my speaking practice, I bought a portable voice recorder. I spoke to myself on whatever I had ruminated on. Sometimes I had spoken expressions(which were spoken by native speakers in English) and recorded them into it. For e.g "What's wrong with keep on the conversation going?" or "Suit Yourself" or "Correct me If I'm wrong!", "Cut to the chase."..etc

I'll give you one piece of advice if you want to learn English well. Enjoy doing things in the language. Read 2 hours a day, watch a movie and speak 30 minutes on any topic you like but do it on a regular basis, you'll certainly improve. Regularity will finally pay off. Remeber one thing, for being a good speaker of language, you don't need to master the whole dictionary. Look those words up which you can't guess from the context and you don't need to look up every new word. Your English is already good and so be happy. Keep up the good work!
Leena   Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:12 am GMT
Mitch
hi mitch and thanks for these informations that are full of hopes.I might be like him oneday!!Unfortunately i looked for these printed copies but dont find so i have to write them all.Its a boring process bur im used to it.You know what! i have these natural abilites of acting i will really become an actress lool
Leena   Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:15 am GMT
Pravi
Im from Saudi Arabia,didnt hear of this country before? I think all western people know it so much nowadays.A beautiful country indeed!!!What abt you? where you come from?
Kirk   Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:18 am GMT
<<I have been busy in my university application process for American universities like 'University of California, Long Beach'>>

Good luck on your applications! But, one little note--there is no University of California, Long Beach ;) There is a California State University, Long Beach, however (I assume that's what you mean). The University of California (UC) and the California State University (CSU) are separate public university systems in California.
Leena   Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:53 am GMT
Hi Boy,more than happy to see you!!!
What do you say? Im surprized too to hear this from you!!! Islamic laws are not strict as you describe them!!On the contrary! they are very fair and just laws.I dont blame you Boy because the image of Saudi Arabia and especially the religion of Islam have distorted.I grieve for when I hear this from people they dont know Saudi Arabia or Islam properly.I can get American movies very easily not as you think.I am trying to say that islam differs totally from what you think.

Anyways,Where you come from my dear Boy? I really missed your great attendance in the forum I forgive you that you cant be here.Believe me i appreciate that you came when i asked about you,I wish you all the best from the bottom of my heart.But are you preparing for master degree?or you have just attending university? anyways i hope you a very good luck.
Im really fond of your English its so good ,hope to be like you oneday.Its wonderful that you could learn English in a very short time 2 and a half ayear is great,im learning English 3 years ago and i still proceed clumsily.The main problem i have is the slowing in learning,the slowing in memorizing words and the slowing in speaking English,I might memorize a whole movie but after 3 days all the informations are gone.This really really put me down!
There is a point you mentioned i didnt actually try it which is recording my voice in a portable recorder,it sounds a bit strange process to speak to myself lool.I have heared something like speaking english and if i came with something i dont know i say it in my own language and then i will try to get that expression or word or sentence i didnt know it, is it a good way? i want you to answre me please!Thank you for your nice courtesy! Thank you Thank you and Thank you a looooooot!!!!!
Boy   Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:37 pm GMT
Kirk, CSU is what I meant there. ;) Thanks for a correction.
Boy   Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:56 pm GMT
Leena, Happy New Year! I wish you all the best in your future endeavours!
Nope. I am not doing masters. I am a 18 year old guy and am interested to do Bachelors in Telecommunication. My eldest brother did his masters from CSU(California State University). He has his own cellular company in Canada and America. I am unable to interact him too much as he is a married guy and he is also a very busy man. He is 35 years old. My parents had visited some parts of the USA and they have told me that it is a good place for having good education. So I am giving it a try.

As for memorizing words are concerned, buy a good newspaper daily and read it. You'll encounter new words while reading different articles, first time you must look them up. Next time when you encounter these words in your reading, you will understand them and that will reallty help you to retain these words in your mind. Final tip: Read, Read and Read.. and Listen, Listen and Listen!

You'll certainly improve. As for speaking practice, talk with your friends or cousins and have your conversations recorded via voice recorder. When you replay your conversations, you are going to catch up your mistakes and you'll be able to determine at what pace you should speak.
I used to speak fast but now I speak very slow because I can be understandable to others but that was not the case while speaking fast.
You see, you are a best judge of your personal abilities and you can only improve.

Don't beat yourself up all the time. Your English is good and I can understand you very well. Just keep working harder!
Leena   Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:22 am GMT
Happy new year too
I cant believe that im older than you.What a shame!lool.Im 21 years old and i study arts at the university.Telecommunication is a great major indeed and has wonderful future especially in Saudi Arabia you can come after you graduate and have job easily.Im sure!!!But you didnt tell where you come from?
I really love reading magazeins rather than newspapers specially that are related to beauty and music matters so i find papers a little bit dull and boring!!I use a technique in memorizing words which are coping every word about 10 times in a sheet of paper but after a few hours they all fly away of my mind!!
I also have problem in starting speaking i find it difficult at the beginning,I hesitate in front of people when they ask me or talk to me in english,this really upset me very much.
when i start talking i feel i as i have never spoken english before.OH MY GOOOD!!
Thank you Boy again for your great support on me!!Although you are a little younger than me but you have very very nice way of giving advices,thank you again!!
rais   Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:07 pm GMT
if you really want to english and you find difficulty in vocabulary just go for collocations such adjective +nouns,adverb+verbs like beautiful dress etc.
Pravi   Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:47 pm GMT
Leena,

I was confused by your name. I am from India and Leena is a common name here. Surprizingly it is one of my friend's name. I know Saudi Arabia. Do u know India? Hopefully yes, coz there are many indians in ur place I guess. About me, I am doing Masters in Computer Application. Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers.
Guest   Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:04 pm GMT
i am verry desperate 2 learn how 2 spk fluently english,you can see that in my writting
sammie
mona   Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:24 pm GMT
hey , guys first thanks for your answers and advices it's realy very very
good and i hope to recommend me nice short stories. thank you
Terminator   Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:24 pm GMT
Dear All,
Very happy to meet u all through this forum.....
I really appreciate each one of u for ur hardwork,dedication and commitment
towards learning english............i am sure that all of u wl become more fluent in english as u all love speaking english....hope u all providing the same support and continuous effort to develop the language.....
atlast i want to say one thing..."Willingness towards work will pay more than hardwork"....bye.............
Sarah   Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:11 pm GMT
Hi every one, I am A new participant at this forum because its the best one in my opinion .I am from Saudi Arabia .I would like to accept me .I like America and American people so much because they are respected people ,and my dream is to live there someday .I am also studying English Language in university.