Quality, Quantity, or Both

K. T.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:02 am GMT
There was an interesting discussion on another site about whether quality or quantity is better when it comes to languages.

I don't think I would be content with just two or three languages and no exploration of others. One poster argued that for work purposes, it's better to be an expert in a few languages instead of an amateur in many languages.

What do you think?
bubbus   Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:08 am GMT
IMHO, it behooves you to master the language/languages needed for work first, before going out and learning additional ones.

In my case, being monolingual in English is good enough for my work in the US.
slob   Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:15 am GMT
Which one is "better" for you comes down to your own needs and individual circumstances, however it is certainly more impressive to master a language. I would consider it a greater achievement to master one foreign language than to be conversational in 7 languages.
blanc*   Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:12 pm GMT
<<In my case, being monolingual in English is good enough for my work in the US. >>

so, why do you come in the language forum for god sake? go out!! we don't need monolingue US who comes here and annoys people who are there to learn more about languages!
trilingual wannabe   Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:00 am GMT
It depends.

I personally think that everyone should learn at least one other language besides his/her own.

Since I was born in one country and was brought to another as a child, I'm bilingual, but am working hard to be able to speak a third language, this time of my choice. It's a little difficult, since at the same time I'm trying to develop native-level mastery over my maternal tongue, as well as progress in English, which is so important in the world and will be the language of my education for a few more years. French may or may not be a language of my future, but it's too good to ignore!

I would mind becoming conversation in Spanish and Italian, but I will play with those languages after I make a considerable progress with French.
trilingual wannabe   Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:01 am GMT
I wouldn't mind*