I have a problem with the expression

c Jijia   Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:37 pm GMT
Here I want to know if you can understand the following expression or how do you make it better?

the heat-radiation of the machine is very bad (heat will be produced while the machine is working but speaking of heat-radiation, it is so bad that the heat has almost damaged the machine.)

can you understand the word ' heat-radiation ' in this sentence?

or do you think ' heat dissipation ' is the better one?

many thanks from c Jijia
troublesum   Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:52 pm GMT
...i think you would probably go with "heat radiation"; "dissipation" sounds less like the sort of thing that might interrupt or damage the functioning of the machine (i.e. "dissipation" sounds more like a relatively harmless by-product).
marcus   Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:02 pm GMT
you have a problem with the machine, not the expression
Another Guest   Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:03 pm GMT
It's not entirely clear what the situation. If the machine is producing too much heat, then you should make that clear. If the problem isn't that the machine produces too much heat, but there isn't sufficient cooling, you should make that clear. Also, just saying that something is "bad" isn't necessarily clear; someone not familiar with the machine might not know if "bad" means too much heat or too little.
Uriel   Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:25 am GMT
Yeah, "heat-radiation" wasn't immediately clear to me in the first example. Dissipation or heat conduction might be better options.