wo'n't

MollyB   Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:50 am GMT
Why is "won't" not "wo'n't"?
MollyB   Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:11 am GMT
Why is it "want" instead of "wa'nt"?
MollyB   Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:43 am GMT
<Why is it "want" instead of "wa'nt"?>

I think you misunderstood the question, my imitator.
back from Bovina   Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:58 am GMT
I guess one apostrophe is enough.

BTW, how many words have two apostrophes?
yo man   Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:44 am GMT
Why the frarcking o anyway cuz? Where da frarkin hell'd tha frarkin o come from ma dawg? Yo man I don see no o in WILL NOT , well der iz an o but it after da n not befor it ma man, yo you got me ma sick dawg from da hood yo
Fizz   Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:06 pm GMT
<BTW, how many words have two apostrophes? >

would/should/mightn't've

Fish 'n' Chips
yo man   Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:53 pm GMT
Robson 'n' Jerome. Dey iz frarkin wicked. Sound o der hood dawg. Peace out.
Damian Canary Wharf E14   Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:18 am GMT
It should read "won't" - which is simply a contraction of "will not"....no other form will do.

Similarly, "shan't" - "shall not"; "can't" for "can not" or "cannot" which is the most used form in this case. There are a host of others shuch as "wouldn't" "couldn't" "shouldn't" etc - you just have to be carse where you place the apostrophe - which usually replaces the "o" in the negative "not".

Wont is a different word in its own right - meaning the habit of doing something on a regular basis, or something you are accustomed to doing in this way. "It is my wont to ramble on endlessly....."

Don't you just love the English for inventing this glorious Language?
someone's got a fetish   Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:28 am GMT
<<Don't you just love the English for inventing this glorious Language? >>

Nah, but I do love the Romans for inventing all the words that fill this 'glorious' language.
Fizz   Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:50 am GMT
<you just have to be carse where you place the apostrophe - which usually replaces the "o" in the negative "not".>

Yes, Damien, but why is there and "o" in "won't"? And what does "carse" mean?
Mr. P   Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:24 am GMT
We should write "wo'n't" and "sha'n't".
Mr. P   Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:43 am GMT
We should also write "ca'n't".
Trimac20   Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:38 pm GMT
Some older books actually do - like Alice in Wonderland.
Uriel   Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:00 pm GMT
I imagine because all those apostrophes get a little overwhelming and tedious. People tend to simplify over time, as Trimac points out. It's enough to have one to indicate that letters have been left out.

I would guess that "will not" became "won't" because "willn't" is damn hard to pronounce. And I believe there is a tendency in some British dialects to shift L's into a W-sound anyway, and vice-versa. Maybe there's a paralell in that word.
Lan g Uage   Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:49 pm GMT
Won't used to (a long time ago) be written wo'n't since apostrophes can replace more than just the o in a negation. For example o'clock is of the clock or 'twas for it was, or I'll is I will.
It comes from the first person present indicative "I woll", which was current even to some extent until the 19th century, but was in standard use in the 16th century. It is a contraction of "wonnot" which in turn is a contraction of "woll not". The second and third persons were (and of course still are) "will", and originally there was a "wynnot" but "wonnot" won out and replaced it for all persons, at some point in the 16th century