Polyglot Book

K. T.   Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:03 pm GMT
Someone named Michael Erard is looking for polyglots-specifically hyperpolyglots. He would like to survey them for a book. This is the internet, and I don't know him personally, but if you are interested you can read about him on the Learning Languages site. I believe that he has a website with .com after his name as well.

I wonder if he knows that there are many polyglots out there and certainly super or hyperpolyglots are not as rare as one might think. At first I did not know many in my medium-sized Southern city, but now I have met or know of several here and in another city close by and they are better than most of the internet polyglots I've heard on youtube.

I hope this guy knows enough to realize that even some polyglots who are praised are not really fluent. That's the trouble. People don't want to offend others, and some people don't realize that some of these hyperpolyglots just have a basic or elementary knowledge of the language and not such a great accent to boot when speaking it.

Think about it. I'll bet that many of you are like I am. I say that I speak 5-6 languages, but truthfully I understand several others and can communicate on some level in other ones. Someone with even LESS ability may try to make a buck/dollar by just saying a bunch of phrases in "exotic" languages.

The only way to know is to have an honest native speaker evaluate the polyglot in each language.

I think a book on hyperpolyglots is a great idea, but maybe a survey on the internet is not the best way. What do you think? Would you participate?
Michael Erard   Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:45 pm GMT
K.T.,
I'm a science writer, not a hyperpolyglot promoter. The basic question that I'm asking in the book is, "What is the upper limit of the ability to speak and learn languages?" Take the survey, read about it on the website, and you'll see what I'm after.
thanks,
Michael
www.michaelerard.com
K. T.   Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:33 am GMT
I appreciate the fact the you stopped by Antimoon. I confess that I had hoped you would do exactly that.

I looked at your survey, but I always wrestle with giving out personal information.