Angela Merkel speaking Russian/English

lau   Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:59 am GMT
Franco once inquired about German chancellor Angela Merkel's Russian. For some reason I can't respond to his message (it may have something to do with the fact that the thread is 2 years old), but I feel like sharing this bit of information:

<The two leaders [Putin and Merkel] are unusually well-suited to communicate. Putin speaks fluent German, and Merkel speaks good Russian as well. As a student in communist East Germany, the chancellor once won a contest for superior knowledge of the Russian language, and was awarded with a two-week tour of the Soviet Union.

Merkel had ample opportunity to demonstrate her Russian skills during the Sochi summit -- often with Putin's encouragement. Asked by a Russian journalist how she liked the Black Sea setting, Merkel was instructed by Putin -- using the informal "ty" form -- to answer in Russian. The chancellor dutifully obliged.

Later, when Koni, Putin's black Labrador, made her domineering entrance, Merkel nervously, or perhaps wishfully, commented in Russian, "Now the dog is going to eat the journalists." Finally, drinking tea together with Putin at a small garden table, Merkel jokingly raised her cup in a vodka-like toast and wished Russian president good health in his native language.>

Now, has anyone ever listened to her speak Russian or English?

I found this clip from an EU summit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9K9RxX_ecQ
@ 0:32 she speaks with Sarkozy in English ("You have to drink now... champagne. At least take a glass! Before you disappear.") but @ 0:19 I can't make out what she says to Socrates. She has such a thick accent. Funneh.

Relatedly, does anyone know if she speaks French? I remember watching her speak some words in French once during a summit hosted by pres Sarkozy, but she was reading from her notes, I don't think she speaks the language fluently.
LOL   Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:38 am GMT
LOL! Why did he snub that guy in the white shirt at the beginning?
K. T.   Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:25 am GMT
Mostly I heard French and English. Accented English and very clear French (At ten then, see you later...congrats, etc.)
K. T.   Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:19 am GMT
"We all cooperated well?"

I noticed the extended hand, then the miss