What accent do you really hate? and which one you love?

Pete   Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:45 pm GMT
Which of all the English accents you've heard is the most annoying? Is there an accent that gets on your nerves?

Personally, I dislike old English ladies speaking with a Estuary English accent. I really hate it, but when I hear them I myself switch to a ultra-conservative, poshest, old Knighted geezer, Queen's dog's caretakers, jolly-well-spoken, English. So it's like saying "oh are you have plums on the throat? well, old lady here you are some! I live just next to Windsor royal station, and I can show you some snobbery, you old slag!

And, finally I abhor some American blokes speaking like fucking Cowboys. Some of them sound so rustic and... Shit, I don't like it.

And there is an accent I love. It's as I said a young French girl speaking with a mixture between Queen's English and a French accent. Absolutely Lovely...

Is there any French girl like that out there? I've just found one in my whole life, it was like a dream...
Pete   Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:47 pm GMT
<<Which of all the English accents>>

I meant accents in general...
Pete   Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:49 pm GMT
<<to a ultra-conservative>>

to an ultra-conservative

<<oh are you have plums on the throat>>

oh do you have plums in the throat?

Shit this has more correcting posts than answers.
Sed   Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:30 pm GMT
I would find the Australian accent abit harsh to my ears. I usually call them "Cheese talkers" the pronuncation of the letter 'e' in 'cheese' is most annonying. (Pray for me my father married to a Aussie with 2 stepsisters and a stepbrother. Even though I love them their accent is just plain yuncky and harsh.)

The cockney accent? It's a love and hate relationship. I hate watching 'Eastenders' just stood there and glared at the television screen with my mouth opened wide in amazement and thought, 'jeez and those people invented English - really?'
Cockney singers I like abit of... especially punk and some rap are interesting.

LOL I have to agree those 'Cowboy' accents can be annonying at times. But a 'Cowgirl' accent such as Dolly Pardon? Very mellow and sweet to listen to on a nice Sunday church service but not at a bar or party.

Non native accents? Well I just love how most Japanese speak English oh and the French.

Ones I not fond of are Germans and Russians their accents of English reminds me of some horrible movie with a psyco on the loose kidnapping people and demanding ramsons.
Guest   Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:11 pm GMT
<<'jeez and those people invented English - really?'>>

Gawd 'elp us if Cockneys 'ad invented English!
Guest   Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:01 am GMT
I actually like the South African accent (especially on Wildlife programmes) has this upper class appeal to it.
Larissa   Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:31 am GMT
"Ones I not fond of are Russians their accents of English reminds me of some horrible movie with a psyco on the loose kidnapping people and demanding ramsons." LOL thanks!
Well actually I love the American accent, a very nice accent!
andre in usa   Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:49 am GMT
I like cockney, scouse, cowboy, redneck (u.s. southern), appalachian, and scottish.

Don't like australian english much.
James in Sydney   Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:31 pm GMT
Love Australian. Of the rest, American I don't particularly like in any of its versions. I love soft Irish.
Greg   Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:50 pm GMT
What is your openion about the British accent. I feel it is likely common and flexible. What do you think?
Guest   Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:57 pm GMT
I always prefer to hear a British rhyming accent which is pleasant for the ears. But sometimes I feel that they are too professional in their words. However, the Aussies accent is the difficult ones or the disturbing ones. Like if they say, "Today", or "Paint", as an example, it sounds like “Do we have a meeting to’die” or “Do you like to P’iint”, etc., Well American accent is cool until they use their local slang. And those american cowboys accent..haha Pete, i remember your words.
Pravi   Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:58 pm GMT
Oops...I forgot to add my name..The above guest is me.
Larissa   Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:17 pm GMT
cockney accent, is it the English spoken in London?
Guest   Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:52 pm GMT
I believe it's the "working class" accent of London. Not everyone in London speaks that way.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:49 pm GMT
I was in the restaurant in Littlewoods a wee while back and there were two of those Estuary English speaking Olde Englishe ladies at the next table gabbling away together. I wasn't interested in what they were saying....only the way they were saying it. I've no complaint against Estuary as it's the way so many people speak now, to varying degrees. It's mainly in its South of England stronghold, but some of its characteristics are creeping into speech in the rest of the country, even to here in Scotland in a very modulated form. But when I ovrheard those two old ladies speak it seemed bizarre in a way as it's much more the speech pattern of much younger people than them. They were English...no doubt about that.... but it didn't sound like proper Cockney...deffo Estuary....even I know the difference between the two. Just sounded weird coming from them somehow.

Yep...Cockney is the traditional London accent, working class as you say, but working class has a different meaning today. Everybody who goes to do whatever job is "working class"! There is a guy on TalkSport radio who is a professional lawyer (called a solicitor in Law in England and Wales, and an advocate in Law in Scotland) and he gives legal advice to callers in a 100% top rate quality Bow Bells of London Cockney accent. He would sound like Bert the Sweep, but that's the point I'm making about "working class" nowadays...no more class structures.

Talking of the Oz accent, it's supposed to have originated from the Cockney accent in the first place....mostly people deported from England after being convicted of nicking a chicken or a sheep or whatever and then packed off to the new Land of Oz.

I love the accent of French people when they speak English. I met this lovely French girl at uni and her way of speaking English was magnifique.

Scousers all sound as if they have a chronic throat infection...with permanent catarrh especially when they pronounce the "ck" sound as in "lock" or "back". It sounds like they're clearing their throats so the "ck" comes out as "ch" in the Scottish loch. So "back" and "lock" come out as a guttural "bach" and "loch". Not all Scousers speak that way, by any means, but some do and it is a gen Scouse characteristic, as the Scouse accent originated from the mass Irish immigration back in the 19th century.