Don't learn Traditional Chinese characters, but Peh-oe-ji

Tai-oan-lang   Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:14 am GMT
Peh-oe-ji is the elegant script for Taiwanese. In the history of linguistic evolution, only the people who are not brave to face the challenge from linguistic evolution will learn Traditional Chinese characters.

Here is Taiwanese, which is easier than Traditional Chinese characters:

Tâi-oân sī óa Thài-pêng-iûⁿ sai-hōaⁿ ê tó-sū, kap Tiong-kok chi-kan keh chı̍t-tiâu O·-chúi-kau (Tâi-ôan Hái-kiap). I koh hō-chòe Formosa, sī àn Phû-tô-gâ-gú (Ilha) Formosa lâi--ê, ì-sù sī "Bí-lē (Tó)".

Tâi-oân ê sù-kùi bô-chhiūⁿ ūi-tō· khah kôan ê kok-tō· hun-bêng. I ê un-tō· chha-put-to tī Liap-sī 6 tō· kàu Liap-sī 36 tō· tiong-kan. Ē-sái-kóng sī sù-kùi-jû-chhun, chin sek-ha̍p lâng tòa ê só·-chāi.

Tâi-oân mā ū lâng chheng-hō· sī "pó-tó".
Tai-oan-lang   Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:15 am GMT
Bân-lâm-gí sī Hàn-gí Bân-hong-giân chit-châng tōa chhiūⁿ-châng ê 1-ki chhiūⁿ-oe, sī siōng-kài ū éng-hiáng-la̍t ê Bân-hong-giân. Kóng-gī ê Bân-lâm-gí hun-pò· hōan-ûi chiâⁿ khoah, chú-iàu thong-hêng tī Hok-kiàn lâm-pō· ê Chiang-chiu, Chôan-chiu, Ē-mn̂g; Tâi-ôan, Kńg-tang Tiô-chiu, Sòaⁿ-thau tē-khu, Lûi-chiu pòan-tó; Hái-lâm-tó; Chiat-kang-séng lâm-pō· ê Chhong-lâm-kōan, Pêng-iông-kōan, Tōng-thâu-kōan ; Hok-kiàn sai-pō· Lêng-nâ ê chhī-khu kah Chiang-pêng-kōan; Hok-kiàn tang-pak-pō· ê Hok-tiáⁿ-chhī; Tang-lâm-a chi̍t-kóa-á kok-ka kah tē-khu.

Nā phó·-thong-sî lâng kóng Bân-lâm-gí, Bân-lâm-gí, he thàu-té sī leh kóng Hok-kiàn lâm-pō· Chôan-Chiang-Hā tē-khu kah Tâi-ôan chit-tah ê gí-giân.

Kòe-khì tī Tiong-kok Chheng-tiâu ê sî-tāi, Se-iûⁿ lâng kā Bân-lâm-gú kiò-chò Amoy (che sī Eng-gí, sī Ē-mn̂g ê piàn-im). Tī tang-lâm-a, Bân-lâm-gú hō·-lâng kiò-chòe "Hokkien" (Hok-kiàn-oē ê ì-sù), tī Tâi-ôan kiò-chò Hō-ló-ōe, Tâi-oân-oē, Tâi-gí (Tâi-gú).

Bân-lâm-gú hoat-gôan-tē ( siāng gôan-thâu ê só·-chāi ) si Hok-kiàn lâm-pō· ê Chiang-chiu kah Chôan-chiu chit nn̄g-ê só·-chāi.

Ē-mn̂g-ōe kah Tâi-ôan-ōe hō· lâng kong-jīn sī Bân-lâm-gí ê phiau-chún. Tī Hái-lâm, iōng Bûn-chhiong-oē chòe tāi-piáu.
Tionghoa   Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:31 am GMT
When it comes to the topic of Peh-oe-ji system, I think there can be but one outcome to them, in Chinese we often say「掛羊頭賣狗肉」, it means that, hang up a sheep's head but sell dog's meat, in other words, try to palm off some inferiors by defaming their competitors while introducing them to those who haven't got a clear understanding of the truth.
Tionghoa   Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:34 am GMT
掛羊頭賣狗肉 (guà yáng tóu mài gǒu ròu)
Bingo   Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:40 am GMT
Tai-oan-lang:
Tionghoa is the one who is the brave to face the linguistic evolution . Just leave him alone.
Tionghoa   Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:41 am GMT
Peh-oe-ji system is only used in Minnanese (a Chinese dialect, also called as Taiwanese in Taiwan), but absolutely not suitable for Mandarin or Cantonese.
China   Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:59 pm GMT
Why is it not suitable for Mandarin and Cantonese?
haha   Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:54 am GMT
(Why is it not suitable for Mandarin and Cantonese)?

Re: Just because it was designed only for Minnanese (Taiwanese).
shom'   Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:41 am GMT
<<Re: Just because it was designed only for Minnanese (Taiwanese). >>

Why can't it be adapted to Mandarin and Cantonese? The Latin alphabet was invented for Latin, and now it has been adapted to thousands of languages, I don't see why Mandarin should be an exception.
Boh-dai-ji   Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:52 am GMT
<<Peh-oe-ji is the elegant script for Taiwanese. In the history of linguistic evolution, only the people who are not brave to face the challenge from linguistic evolution will learn Traditional Chinese characters. >>

This is the first time I've ever seen and heard of this so-called 'Peh-oe-ji'
I regret to say that I don't find anything 'elegant' in this script. The Vietnamese would probably agree with you more because it's an exact copycat version of Romanized Vietnamese.

If Taiwan were to adopt this so-called 'Peh-oe-ji' as its Guoyu (national language) in place of Mandarin, I believe it would be downgraded to a region that is even more isolated from the world.

别浪费时间在这些无谓的东西!我觉得这套 'Peh-oe-ji' 非常的丑陋和沉闷......但如果你喜欢,尽可沉溺在其中,那是你的自由!
REaltrue   Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:55 am GMT
"shom' Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:41 am GMT
<<Re: Just because it was designed only for Minnanese (Taiwanese). >>

Why can't it be adapted to Mandarin and Cantonese? The Latin alphabet was invented for Latin, and now it has been adapted to thousands of languages, I don't see why Mandarin should be an exception. "

I think Mandarin shouldn't be an exception.
In reality, there is another form of Mandarin in Cyrillic alphabet such as "Dungan"(東干語). In fact, Dungan should be a new form of Cyrillic Mandarin. So, this proves that Mandarin shouldn't be an exception.
Only the one who is fooled by Traditional Chinese Characters chauvinists would say Mandarin should be an exception.
REaltrue   Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:03 am GMT
Implications of the Soviet Dungan Script for Chinese Language Reform

http://www.pinyin.info/readings/texts/dungan.html
Tionghoa   Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:25 am GMT
(Why can't it be adapted to Mandarin and Cantonese? The Latin alphabet was invented for Latin, and now it has been adapted to thousands of languages, I don't see why Mandarin should be an exception.)
(I think Mandarin shouldn't be an exception.
In reality, there is another form of Mandarin in Cyrillic alphabet such as "Dungan"(東干語). In fact, Dungan should be a new form of Cyrillic Mandarin. So, this proves that Mandarin shouldn't be an exception.
Only the one who is fooled by Traditional Chinese Characters chauvinists would say Mandarin should be an exception.)

Reply to both:

You know some Mandarin? Can you tell apart the differences between 2 kinds of ZhiWeiBing? 治未病? 治胃病? Some Chinese only can be distinguished by different characters. If you're not native Chinese, or you're not very good at Mandarin, please don't comment on characters until you can master good Mandarin very well. OK?Sir.
Calloff   Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:30 am GMT
"Tionghoa Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:25 am GMT
Reply to both:

You know some Mandarin? Can you tell apart the differences between 2 kinds of ZhiWeiBing? 治未病? 治胃病? Some Chinese only can be distinguished by different characters. If you're not native Chinese, or you're not very good at Mandarin, please don't comment on characters until you can master good Mandarin very well. OK?Sir. "

Tionghoa, oh, I should call you "Shuimo".
Your question should be answered by the people from "Dungan", not "us".
They can answer you directly because they write Mandarin in Cyrillic alphabets.
Tionghoa   Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:59 am GMT
To: Calloff, I'm afraid you're absolutely wrong, please remember that Tionghoa is NOT Shuimo.

I must emphasize there're a lot of vocabularies or sentences which can written as several different characters in Chinese, and they all have very different meanings,
for example:

上医治未病 (correct)

上衣致胃病 (wrong )

上医治胃病 (wrong )

上衣治未病 (wrong )

尚医致胃病 (wrong)

BTW, Dungan language is not viewed as a pure Chinese dialect, because it's an special language which was deeply affected by Russian, Persian, Turkish, and Arabic, your interrogation just showed that you're completely a layman (outsider) to everything about Chinese languages. Just get down to your rational research please.