English is spoken better by the English

cnablis   Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:12 am GMT
<,Is this silly thread still going?

It should have been throttled in one posting. >>

But it's a great example of thread drift. Everything from Hiroshima, Rapidograph pens, and Stalin's purges, and metadiscussion. Maybe we can somehow bring in Genghis Khan, light pollution, the Adirondacks, and Megabuses?
Beathag   Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:20 pm GMT
>>Beathag:
Maybe. But if the Americans are willing to nuke Hiroshima civilians, why stop there? Historically, a lot of governments come to resent possible loss of power. Maybe they would nuke their own people too if there were a rebellion? <<

I keep hearing that America is losing power- to China. Yet we haven't nuked them. ;-P
MAD fan   Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:44 pm GMT
<<I keep hearing that America is losing power- to China. Yet we haven't nuked them. ;-P >

I'm under the impression that the US nuclear stockpile is now largly non-functional, because of neglect over the past few/several years.
gregorvitch   Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:56 am GMT
I doubt that the US nuclear stockpile is defunct, why would they give an extremely destructive weapon, they only like to make other, possibly threatening, countries give up thiers.

beathag

"we haven't nuked them yet"

oh and America has allready lost the power battle, china is bigger, smarter, more economically stable and will soon surpass americas' military strength.
Damian St Albans Herts.   Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:08 am GMT
Greg - I will not comment on the content of your posts here but I will do so with regard to your punctuation, grammar and also spelling. I know I am guilty of similar errors in some of my posts typed in great haste and with no double checking before clicking the button, but I think you ought to take special care. Do what I'm trying hard to do now - glance back over what you've written and amend accordingly.

Have a peep at the last paragraph in your last post...how many glaring errors can you spot? I can see five in a paragraph of just twenty four words. If I can do it so can you, pal! ;-)

Cheers!
ppl r lazy by nature   Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:29 am GMT
<<Have a peep at the last paragraph in your last post...how many glaring errors can you spot? I can see five in a paragraph of just twenty four words. If I can do it so can you, pal! ;-) >>

u do know that the vast majority of ppl who write like that actually DO know how to write properly? the thing is this is the internet and there is no incentive whatesoever to write correctly, if there is no incentive to do smth then laziness will always win. clearly he knows that countries are supposed to be capitalised but he just cant be stuffed doing it! i thought thatd be obvious for anyone! if you seriously believe he doesnt know about capitalising names of countries then the one whos lacking a brain is you, not him.
Beathag   Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:26 pm GMT
>>u do know that the vast majority of ppl who write like that actually DO know how to write properly? the thing is this is the internet and there is no incentive whatesoever to write correctly, if there is no incentive to do smth then laziness will always win. clearly he knows that countries are supposed to be capitalised but he just cant be stuffed doing it! i thought thatd be obvious for anyone! if you seriously believe he doesnt know about capitalising names of countries then the one whos lacking a brain is you, not him. <<

Nobody cares if you are super lazy. This is a language forum and you should try to do justice to your own language by typing correctly. Keep in mind those who are learning English and trying to read that mess.
Jasper   Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:39 pm GMT
GREG: "oh and America has allready lost the power battle, china is bigger, smarter, more economically stable and will soon surpass americas' military strength."

I don't know about that one, Greg. China is overly dependent upon exports, which puts them in quite a vulnerable position. If we Americans stop buying their goods, they'll collapse like a house of cards.
Guest   Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:32 pm GMT
"This is a language forum and you should try to do justice to your own language by typing correctly. Keep in mind those who are learning English and trying to read that mess"

That mess is actually a legitimate register of English language. While I, personally, tend not to use that specific register, I still find it necessary/useful to be familiar with it.
gregorvitch   Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:14 pm GMT
jasper

ah yes the ego0centric american ethos that the countries of the world our completely dependant on America. what with your fantastic economy it seem like us lessers should try to contend especially with our flimsy economic system OH WAIT, it was your greed-based economy that royally fucked us all over.

oh and to those who criticise my vocabulary i do actually write quite well and have a history of obtaining the highest grade in English exams, and by the way i doubt people who are trying to learn english will benefit much from the cringe-worthy tendency of the elderly to use smilies.
Uriel   Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:25 am GMT
Well, I suppose if the rest of the world's economies hadn't been so dependent on ours, they wouldn't have been so royally fucked over by our troubles, now would they? I think you just undercut your own argument there.
Edward Teach   Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:44 am GMT
Yes China is taking over!Im so happy that the most repressive government in the world is becoming a major power.
Like most people who have no idea what they are talking about gregorvitch automatically assumes that this change will be for the better.
This leads me to believe he is an angry failure who loathes people/nations who are successful.
Jasper   Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:58 am GMT
Gregorvitch: "ah yes the ego0centric american ethos that the countries of the world our completely dependant on America. what with your fantastic economy it seem like us lessers should try to contend especially with our flimsy economic system OH WAIT, it was your greed-based economy that royally fucked us all over. "

Greg, etc.: I just ask you to look at the numbers; look at the trade imbalance. You will see for yourself.
Damian Ledbury Herefordsh   Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:22 am GMT
Greg:

You wrote this wee gem:

oh and to those who criticise my vocabulary i do actually write quite well and have a history of obtaining the highest grade in English exams***

In England?...mmmmm......well anyway, whether or not you "actually write quite well" and did indeed obtain "the highest grade in English exams" your mean standard performance in writing style using acceptable grammar and punctuation here in Antimoon would most certainly not have awarded you much in the way of brownie points, at least in Scotland.

Many of your posts are riddled with errors, me duck (as they say in Yorkshire, as I soon discovered). Is there some kind of lock-out on your capitalisation key for example?

Greed and wastefulness are not absolutely and entirely the province of the Americans anyway, are they? Our present British Labour (mis)Government are fully qualified experts in all that kind of thing are they not?
gregorvitch   Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:24 pm GMT
edward teach

That was quite a contradiction there, China's doing well and you jump on the chance to criticise thier policies, they may be repressive but it is a major improvement from what thier policies used to be. I assume that you are american, like Mcarthy, founding fears at the slightest enclination that another nation will overtake your own. yes i can see the future now, why would china want co-operation when they can enslave us all, you do have a dogmatic view of world politics.

damien
i can only assume from your perfect grammar that the scottish education system consisted of spelling bees and the alphabet song all day long, over here in merry old england we tend to focus upon literature and analysis. but obviously i can't possibly enjoy the work of Shakespeare because my poor backward brain can't comprehend what the devil he's on about.

uriel

like communism capitalism is a system which relies on its spreading power for it to survive. It's basis is supply and demand, without the rest of the world america wouldn't have its strangle-hold on the rest of the world, mind you they could allways go back to the policy of isolation, but then again it didn't turn out too well for them last time.