Depletable

Choose   Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:03 pm GMT
Is it proper to use the adverb 'depletable' to describe water? (to imply that water is capable of running out?)
CID   Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:10 pm GMT
<<Is it proper to use the adverb 'depletable' to describe water? (to imply that water is capable of running out?) >>

I think what you meant to say was "adjective", and in most circumstances the answer would be yes, because water is a renewable resource that does not run out. Only *clean* water is depletable.
guest   Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:04 am GMT
True. The ocean is full of water with not much chance of running out until the Sun fries the Earth... The problem is that it's full of salt.
Robin Michael   Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:17 am GMT
My spell checker did not recognise 'depletetable' as a word. I certainly thought that it looked unusual. However I did find a definition on the internet.

de·pleta·ble adj.
Synonyms: deplete, drain, exhaust, impoverish, enervate
These verbs all mean to weaken severely by removing something essential. Deplete refers to using up gradually and only hints at harmful consequences: The campers' food supply was quickly depleted.
Drain suggests gradual drawing off and harm: War often drains a nation's economy.
Exhaust stresses reduction to a point of uselessness: "The resources of civilization are not yet exhausted" (William Ewart Gladstone).
Impoverish refers to severe reduction of resources or essential qualities: "His death has eclipsed the gaiety of nations, and impoverished the public stock of harmless pleasure" (Samuel Johnson).
Enervate refers to weakening or destruction of vitality or strength: Idleness enervates the will to succeed.